Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought that Wendy Davis' s website was a train wreck. First screen I got to was asking for donations and it took me a minute to find the link to skip it.

Plus I find it hard to get excited about her since I hadn't even heard of her until the whole filibuster thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Man, Democrats couldn't have picked a more boring candidate even if they tried. Wendy Davis is doing bad even among women. At this point, I think Leticia Van Der Putte would have been a better choice to run for Governor.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Except that is not at all what is happening. If anything, I think people see the writing on the wall. This really isn't about Wendy Davis. It is about Battleground Texas at this point.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nonsense posted:

:lol: at some Medicare fraud doctor running for senate, and he's not even liberal.

Did you ever get the email about how we shouldn't vote for Kesha Rogers? I thought it was pretty hilarious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Really? I think this kind of stuff is perfect for playing the victim to the left-wing witch hunt out to get him.

That might help for his base, but it sure as hell doesn't help with independents.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Fine kick out every person that's lived here less than 10 years.

That's ok, I would rather move to San Antonio than move to Austin anyhow.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

I dunno, it shouldn't be that surprising. Latinos of all stripes tend to get lumped together, but there's definitely a racial component within those cultures that is frequently ignored. And everyone knows it, they just pretend like they don't or that it doesn't mean anything. But when you look at your average Latino Republican, and then at the people we're talking about when we speak about the growth of the Latino demographic as a whole, they're not the same sort of person with the same type of experience. I know we don't like to toss around words like mestizo and such, but they do describe actual divides in Central and South American cultures. Race doesn't stop meaning things to some people just because you cross an arbitrary line. The fact that we do tend to treat them as some giant monogroup is kinda poo poo, really.

I remember I got really pissed at my Hispanic ex girlfriend from McAllen, because she kept referring to "White Mexicans" and how she didn't like them. I was seriously puzzled about it, but now that I am a bit older, I think I can see where she is coming from.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

computer parts posted:

I'm in a class about Tejano history since the breakaway of Texas and Spanish-style racism is wayyyy crazier than the equivalent system in the British colonies at the time.

It's actually fairly similar to the system in the US today, to be honest (There are some established racial hierarchies but you can be "one of the good ones" if you have land/money, or vice versa if you don't).

e: Actually it's kind of interesting because white supremacists totally tried the "we'll make you honorary white people if you hold down the black people" tactic back in Reconstruction. It didn't work.

David Montejano has a pretty good book with a marxist take on the forming of Texas. It is worth a read, and explains how Whites and Mexicans formed certain alliances to achieve wealth. But basically, it gets downright confusing as hell.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I thought he had backed out of it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Can this dumb gently caress go away now?

http://gawker.com/rick-perry-uses-j...Ffull+%28Gawker

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ninkobei posted:

I wonder if Davis had run for Lt. Governor, would she have had a better shot. VDP doesn't seem like a very strong candidate at all.

Honestly, I find Van Der Putte to be a better candidate than Wendy Davis.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nobody can be accountable for photo ID and denying voters the right to vote other than Republicans. It was as transparent a power play as all get out and when people are presented with evidence of little to no voter fraud, you hear the same fallacies about bank accounts and poo poo.

So while the Dems are terrible, the Republicans are off the loving map.

zoux posted:

Nobody calls people out in their own party.

Also, the Dems were glad to throw Kesha Rogers under the bus.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well, she got 2nd place in the first part of the primary, which is kind of comical and sad at the same time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I have some friends that work for bgtx and this is probably very bad news for them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I don't think it's that, I think people overestimate how liberal Hispanics are. They are not the block that African Americans are when it comes to voting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lone Star is a pretty good Texas movie, although there is a twist and plot point towards the end that weirded me out when I saw it.

In other news, one of my former friends recently became the BGTX field director. http://blog.mysanantonio.com/texas-politics/2015/01/battleground-texas-replaces-field-director/

He's very politically minded, but I honestly don't have much faith. He has a lot of charisma and charm but I still think he is very inexperienced with the political game. I honestly think there are much more capable people out there.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

zoux posted:

I doubt very much that doctors routinely ask about guns in the home.

In Good Government News the House is currently debating and likely to pass a bill that will ban texting while driving statewide.

We don't do it in a regular hospital, although pediatrics is a very different beast and there is a lot of other poo poo you have to deal with once children are involved.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I'm surprised that our idiot county clerk Kara Sands started issuing marriage licenses in Nueces County. But then again, I guess most people realize that the writing is on the wall at this point.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Maybe that is why my hospital stopped carrying Blue Bell ice cream. I had no idea :(.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, hospitals were the one real place Blue Bell killed anyone.

Yeah, I think we have some Blue Bunny poo poo now, and I had always imagined it as them cutting costs or something. But we haven't stocked in ice cream on our floor in a while so it could all just be coincidence.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

karlor posted:

HEB Creamy Creations is the superior Texas ice cream and will stand against this federal tyranny

It is strange, the hospital vanilla blue bell ice cream was different than the actual stuff you bought at the store. I liked the hospital stuff and I don't really like the store bought stuff.

But yes, I enjoy that 1903 vanilla flavor that HEB puts out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

computer parts posted:

I don't think he's a literal crazy person.

Now the Lt. Governor, he is a literal crazy person.

He definitely was pandering to crazy people with all the Jade Helm poo poo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's the point: it wasn't pandering. Dan Patrick absolutely believes that poo poo.

I'm talking about Greg Abbott

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

1stGear posted:

Can we give East Texas to Louisiana yet

No, cause Beaumont is east Texas and I have family there. They can have Vidor though cause gently caress Vidor.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Too bad Louisiana already has a Vidor in the form of Vinton.

At least Vinton is not a sundown town like Vidor is. Not sure if Vidor still is but I'm not stopping there to find out.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I see there's liberal outrage at milkshakes now, can't our governor celebrate the return of an ice cream product?

heb's is better

Yeah, give me the HEB brand of 1905 Vanilla over Blue Bell any day.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ComposerGuy posted:

I've been tweeting MacArthur High School for the past hour asking them to advise me on what I should do since I found a clock in my living room this morning. As of a few minutes ago they have protected their twitter account. I regret nothing.

The Facebook page is amazing too.

https://www.facebook.com/MacArthur-High-School-Irving-ISD-1382426035322080/timeline/

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just found out that my city Corpus Christi had a "All Lives Matter" march. Way to miss the point, guys.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

http://abc13.com/news/judge-in-goforth-murder-case-recuses-herself/1040626/

Such a bizarre case.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

1) gently caress Vidor. I hear they are trying to put their reputation behind them but I'm not gonna try and find out.

2) Whenever I hear people say Portland, I think of Portland, Tx, which I used to live near.

3) Austin wins the award for me of the city full of stuff that white people like.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

All I know is that this poo poo is making Facebook insufferable to the point where I'm thinking of deactivating my account again. All of a sudden, tons of people seem to care about homeless veterans now when they never did before.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I like street tacos so I like corn tortillas.

Also, one little part of me wishes the secession resolution had passed so it could be put to a vote.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

e_angst posted:

Yep, the Austin backlash is officially in full effect. Sorry, we can't help it that we're easily the best city in Texas.

Houston would like to have a word with you.

Rip DJ Screw

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

My Face When posted:

On the taco issue, there's a Torchy's in Dallas (in the SMU area) and it was a bit pricey for tacos but good. I've been ruined by Rusty's cheap but yummy tacos.

Geez, Houston, when did your politics get interesting?

Either Annise Parker or HERO. One of those.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

smoobles posted:

So, what influence does a Texan vote hold in the Democratic primary in March?

Also, do you have to be a registered Democrat to vote in it?

Unless its like last time, we have no influence. We have an open primary, so you can vote in either one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I do remember that when I lived in Corpus Christi that South tx generally has low turnout.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

As much as TX Dems suck, I don't think that is the only reason. There are plenty of Hispanic conservatives out there

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Corpus Christi just voted to get rid of Uber. Of course people are upset. They are so starved for more businesses to be around that they never think of the long term repercussions. But I am sort of glad I left. Got way too involved in the political scene down there to the point where there are some people that I absolutely detest.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually feel kind of dirty for using them when I went on vacation in Seattle.

But dammit, it really is pretty drat convenient. I just want a company to come up with the same service that isn't so evil. I would even be willing to pay extra for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

e_angst posted:

There already is, Lyft. And they're cheaper than Uber 99% of the time, too.

I thought Lyft had the same problems that Uber did?

Although I have used Uber Black Car. That service seems pretty legit.