Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

jfc.

I commuted from Hyde Park to downtown and that was too much for me.

My dad would commute from the west end of Sealy to downtown Houston three times a week, to Sugar Land on other days. It boggled my mind. On an empty freeway that is like 45 minutes to an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I know this is not germane, but I had been without health insurance for while until recently and found HEB pharmacy discount card a useful tool as it lowered the prescription bills a bit, are there other pharmacy places that offer a discount card like that? I didn't even know it existed until I decided to use their pharmacy.

Walgreens and if you have one near, Sam's Club. Talk to pharmacies there about a discount card.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

thefncrow posted:

You're actually slightly behind me then (graduated '02). I didn't even know about the mandatory thing, it was just my high school noticeably changed their attitude afterwards.

'04 here. We did both Federal and state every day with the announcements. Nobody stood for either and the teachers seemed more annoyed at the interruption to their class.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait, are you saying Dallas is the best or Dallas is the most pretentious?

Most pretentious.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

1stGear posted:

Support Are Troops does not apply if troops are gay/non-white/non-Christian/Democrat/female/planning a fascist takeover of your state.

That is only if they didn't include you in the fascist takeover and thus are doing the wrong kind of coup.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

At least Vinton is not a sundown town like Vidor is. Not sure if Vidor still is but I'm not stopping there to find out.

It is (unofficially).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This Texas Tribune article is both relevant to the discussion and one I think you guys might find interesting to read.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

karlor posted:

He's not wrong...

but maybe the truth is in the middle and your tortilla choice depends on context. IMO breakfast tacos are better with flour but my al pastor can only be served on corn, with onions, cilantro, and a tiny slice of pineapple. Anything else is sacrilege.

Al Pastor tacos/quesadilas (the Mexican kind, not the Tex-Mex one) on corn tortillas and served all the way are the one true food god.

Enchiladas and burritos are best on on flour though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

You first gringo. :ese:

We stole this land from Mexico fair and square, get over it and have some corn tortillas.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Austin is the worst. QED.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, like the rest of the state, is inside of Texas. That makes it full on Texan, and just like the rest of the state, Austin is terrible in it own special and unique snowflake way. You can't be a part of this state with out getting your feet in the cow patties.

Also the state legislature is pants on head, comic book levels of crazy and petty. Just because they hold dear their chances to gently caress with Austin doesn't mean you should be running around trying to tar us with the same brush.

They pulled this same kind of poo poo over turning the municipal frackig ban in that one town on the Eagle Ford Shale. They'll get big government whenever it suits them, I'm sure they just consider sticking it to those commie liberals a fringe benefit for protecting the wealthy.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Comedy Option: Democrats could remember that the river valley exists and spend even half a second on GOTV efforts there.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's not GOTV generically but specifically treating like the river valley exists and that the people there have actually needs and problems and wants. The state level party is all sorts of hosed and withered on the vine though so I'd rather count on Republicans collapsing under their own success than the state level Democrats pulling their heads out their own asses.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you can order in English with out having to pantomime or point then the place is already suspect.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

e_angst posted:

Goddamnit the Texas thread is serious business.

Bullshit posturing about anything much less about tacos is serious business in Texas. There is literally nothing more Texan than that.
....Except bullshitting about football I guess.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

Torchys makes pretty decent food

I agree that Torchys makes pretty decent food, but it just isn't the best tacos in the state. Everything has its place and Torchys isn't bad every now and then.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What was the tweet?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I keep seeing reports on the number of officer casualties, but nothing regarding the blm protesters. Do we know if and/or how many of them were also casualties?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Space City Vodka is distilled in Houston and isn't a bad choice.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I know nothing of Austin's demographics from that time period but that video made the city look exceptionally white and monoculture.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Nthing the 'my momma said' about this. She has been complaining about the handling of special ed for the last 20+ years and they keep coming up with new ways to make it worse.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What the gently caress did I just watch.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

Can I ask a dumb voting question here?

So I forgot to update my address since the last time I voted, and now I live on the other side of Harris county.

Can I still do early voting at any location? Or do I need to go to my registered location on 11/8 and fill out the affadavit confirming that my address is wrong?

Check your registration status here. If your listed status says, 'Suspense' then you will need to confirm your address when you show up to the polls, but otherwise there are no other restrictions, as the other guys covered. To my memory, updating your address doesn't require any additional proof other than just telling them the new address. It has been a few years since I was a Voter Registrar and I'm phone posting so take that with a little grain of salt.

In case anyone doesn't already know, go here to find the early voting locations in Harris County, https://m.harrisvotes.com/EarlyVoting?lang=en-US.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 25, 2016

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

Thanks, I'm in 'suspense' status but it looks like there is a location two blocks from my house so I'll give itna whirl tonight. I don't see any hours posted, is it 7am-7pm like in the general election?

Yeah should be 07-19 every day of early voting.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

saintonan posted:

In Nueces County, it's 8am-5pm this week and 7am-7pm next week. Check with your county clerk to get hours for where you are.

This is the most correct answer.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Voting at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Service right now in Harris County and while the line is long, they say they are getting a new voter on a machine every 11 seconds and the line is moving pretty drat fast. The workers were bragging that they were the fastest polling location in the county.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I've hosted some fun 'drink to forget or just to get drunk' parties in the past, but my schedule has me off at 22:00 now and I doubt there will be too much drama left at that point. So probably just lurking the forums at work.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Back Hack posted:

gently caress turning the state blue, and gently caress keeping the state red. I'm pretty fed up with both parties. :colbert:

Then pick whichever party most closely matches your beliefs and get to work on making them actually represent your interests.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

A friend of mine is a professor at Texas State and he's been sharing some ugly stories coming out of there. San Marcos seems to be a hotbed.

Can you share a few?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Apparently Houston PD is picking up Austin PD's police chief. What was the consensus of his tenure in Austin?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'll y'all vote for me I'll cook you four hot dogs on the edge of a cliff

Only the deepest of cuts for them hot dogs, I see.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I don't respect any of you btw

This is the kind of honest and straightforward disrespect we can all get behind. You should run.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is like our thread's very own Alex Jones, good to laugh at, but don't engage.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Those responses are so dumb and ill formed I'd have thought they came from high school students who haven't even taken their government class yet.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Not yet, but there is a very real possibility that I will within the next two months. You mind giving your thoughts on the area?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

That's not good fellas.

I never got around to finishing the article about this, was/is the problem funding or availability of open beds or some combination/confluence of factors?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Speaking of medians, why does no one in Dallad understand how to navigate a median break with their car?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Everything about that site is exactly what you'd expect that site to be.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Trump executing Republicans en masse on live TV would somehow make Republicans stronger, especially after the incompetent response from state Dems.

This storm will do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, paving over the Katy Prarie land during the last decade has not helpes things. According to a buddy who has property nearby though, the Addicks release has basically flushed open the down stream drainage and the rate of flow is as good as he's ever seen it. So that will help things out in the short term.