Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Haha, Price is a huge rear end in a top hat and a massively corrupt one at that, but as a professional troll there's few on his level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have a thing tomorrow night. I'm sad I can't watch it live.

Oh well, I can catch it when I get in. I have a bottle of applejack that I bought specifically for watching politics. It makes the hurting less.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ReidRansom posted:

The only brand I've seen anywhere is Laird's, and if that's what you've got, you're better off spending a little bit more and getting a low-ish end calvados. Yeah, you could do worse for the same money than Laird's, but it's not even proper applejack; it's like 70% grain alcohol blended with apple brandy. $22-27 will get you a decent calvados that you'll probably enjoy far more. Unless you prefer your politics with cheap liquor and all that it brings along.

It's their 7 1/2 year brandy, actually, which isn't blended. I still think of it as jack though.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Randandal posted:

I wish Kinky Friedman would run again.

He ran for Ag Commissioner this time but lost the primary. Close second, lost the runoff.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shifty Pony posted:

good developers

Found your problem.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ReidRansom posted:

And it's on History Channel? Actual history? I may have to reconnect my cable before it starts airing.

Hah, as if that "dramatization" will have anything to do with the actual history past names and dates.

I particularly like the brief shot of the black man being led away in chains as if colonial expansion of slavery wasn't the entire loving point of white Americans coming to Texas, and as if the Mexican abolition of slavery wasn't the entire loving reason the Texians revolted against Mexico.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

Actually it was freedom.

Oh, my mistake then.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I didn't see any discussion of this, but it looks like this poo poo isn't happening in light of the SC shooting: Texas Bill to Make It Illegal to Film Near Police Dropped

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's worth pointing out, and repeating, that the reason that Open Carry Tarrant County leader Kory Watkins is so thirsty for "constitutional carry" is that he he has a criminal record that makes him ineligible for a CHL. Requiring a license for open carry is a specific middle finger pointed squarely at him and his stupid hat.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It doesn't hurt this white middle-class student, so clearly it's beneficial for all kids of every economic class and ethnicity!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I like how the girl in the passenger seat screws up the whole act by not being able to keep a straight face.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

blackguy32 posted:

He definitely was pandering to crazy people with all the Jade Helm poo poo.

That's the point: it wasn't pandering. Dan Patrick absolutely believes that poo poo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Malleum posted:

List of cool things about Houston;
1. The USS Texas docks there

Banked track roller derby league.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Holy Jesus.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This came across my Facebook feed, courtesy of my hipster brother-in-law:

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-mike-rawling-dallas-city-council-adopt-the-pegasus-and-the-trinity-as-the-official-flag-of-dallas

Because nothing symbolizes Dallas better than a hosed-up boondoggle river and an oil company mascot. Presumably they couldn't figure out how to put redlining on a flag.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

radical meme posted:

Anecdotal but, a criminal defense attorney I know explained to me that Paxton was totally hosed because the criminal charges were based on admissions he freely made to settle civil complaints and he is totally bound by those admissions which means he's going to prison unless the Texas Supreme Court pulls some kind of poo poo to save his rear end. So I fully expect the TX Supremes to pull some kind of poo poo out of their rear end to save Paxton.

But, that only applies to the State charges, not the Federal ones that recently came down.

edit: I think it would be the Tx Court of Criminal Appeals not Tx Supreme Crt that would have to save his rear end

:suspense:

I need to invest in whoever owns Orville Redenbacher, because this poo poo needs popcorn.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Aliquid posted:

gently caress all y'all

the tamales are from mexico tho

Two sentences that are distilled Texas.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Because of loving course he did.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

If Texas seceded I could not move out of here fast enough. The exodus would be massive, half the state or more I bet.

They'd get plenty of morons moving in, though.

Reminds me of the old gag about the UT and Aggie somethingorothers swapping members and the average IQ of both going up.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

If that's the future they're at war with, where do I sign the enlistment papers?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/...1f66f94c08.html

Looks like nobody was there, so no one was hurt. Glad for that, anyway.

Eedjits.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

As someone who grew up in BCS, Aggie hatred for UT and Austin are real as gently caress.

It amuses me how the rivalry mostly manifests as ridicule in one direction and a massive inferiority complex in the other.

I mean, you never see UT alumni driving trucks (and it's almost always a truck) poo poo-talking A&M, but those "Saw 'em Off" stickers are pretty common.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This current topic just hit home in a big way.

I'm a high school teacher, and since I teach on-level classes I get a lot of mainstreamed Special Ed students. I'm supposed to modify their assignments and tests for their level, and differentiate instruction to their needs. Which is a challenge, as I'm a pretty new teacher whose degree isn't in education, so I've never really had training on how to do that effectively. But that's okay, I'm learning.

What I just found out is that one of my ESL students has a serious learning disability, everyone knows it, but since she spent 18 months in a refugee camp with no schooling, SpEd gets to throw their hands up and claim it's not their problem. Must be the gap, must be the language issue. We won't even test her.

This is a kid who speaks and understands English pretty well, but her written language skills are basically nonexistent even in her native language. She cannot process written words. She tries - she tries so hard - but she cannot parse written language. She knows what it's supposed to look like, but everything she puts on paper is literally gibberish even when she uses a translator.

ESL knows this, and has tried for a year to get SpEd to test her. SpEd won't touch her case with a ten foot loving pole. Because they don't have to, because they can blame her ESL status, and the time she spent in a goddamn refugee loving camp as reasons why she can't learn.

The Special Education department in this school needs a righteous correctional rear end-whooping to remember why they exist. Not to fulfill a legal requirement, but to educate the students to the best of their loving ability. This isn't the first time I've had issues - I get basically no support or training for how to modify my assignments and my classroom support for these kids is one coach with no training either - and not even in all the classes I have SpEd students.

This turned into more of a rant on my specific situation than a contribution to the discussion, and I apologize for that, but goddammit learning about this student's situation made me angry today. They are leaving her twisting in the wind. There's not a snowball's chance in Hell she'll be able to pass the EOCs or get a diploma unless she gets some kind of support. But SpEd won't come near her case.

Makes me want to start slapping my way up the food chain until I get somebody to agree to fix this poo poo, but I'm not senior enough to get away with that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doom Rooster posted:

Edit: Is California trying to Prima Nocta Texas?

"The problem with Texas... is that it's full of Texans!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Voted in Collin County. I was expecting more of a line in the middle of the day on Saturday, but we were in and out in less than five minutes, which was awesome.

As I was leaving I overheard a family talking g about their son, who had just turned 18 a few days ago, and a grandfather, who had just been naturalized this year, both voting for the first time. Then as we were leaving I saw two women wearing hijabs who had put "I voted" stickers on their faces taking a selfie together.

:3:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Back Hack posted:

How dare Austin ban Uber/Lyft by letting them leave willingly and of their own accord by refusing to be strong armed and threaten by them. :argh:

You say that like standing in the way of a corporation making money isn't the second biggest sin in the eyes of the Texas Legislature.

(No points for guessing the biggest.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

He sure seems like a true believer to me, not sure if this theory has any legs.

Lame joke.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

https://conservativemove.com/

Lol this is a website to help conservatives from across America move to Collin County.

Lol

No goddammit there's too many of them here already.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Amazon moving in would be the worst, housing and traffic is already a poo poo show and I don't want more high-income people to come in and make it worse.

Yeah I work in Plano and am in that part of life when it's time to start thinking about buying a house. Toyota moving in is pretty much loving the housing market north of 635 all kinds of up. I really have no clue how we're going to make it happen.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well, how are the latest batch of statewide ballot measures going to gently caress us all this year?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well nothing did change, did it?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nothing in DFW can make up its loving mind. I probably won't find out until like 7am.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01/27/texas-gop-executive-committee-censures-house-speaker-joe-straus/

reactionary crybabies posted:

The State Republican Executive Committee voted to censure Texas House Speaker Joe Straus, R-San Antonio, on Saturday, dinging the outgoing state leader for standing in the way of the party leadership group's priorities.

This loving state, I swear.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Ten bucks says the State lege bans it next session.

Seriously though, well done and congratulations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shifty Pony posted:

No they exist pretty much entirely so the Texas Democratic Party can say "X has huge support!"

Check out the GOP ones.

Honestly I am in total agreement with the stadium one and wouldn't need much more convincing to vote for the toll road one.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The very first post in the derail, even.

EDIT: VVVV I stand corrected VVVV

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 8, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Syzygy Stardust posted:

AA admits have much worse credentials than legacies. The gap is astoundingly huge. Back in 1997 the University of Chicago graduate school advising office had a tracker on their website (until I publicized it on the lawschool listserv and they yanked it) with the average GPA, LSAT, and acceptance rates of their undergrads by race and law school applied to. Blacks were getting into HLS with low 150s LSATs and 3.0 GPAs at higher rates than whites averaging averaging something like a 168 and 3.8. The best was the single Hispanic application and acceptance to UVA law who had a 2.5 GPA and 153 LSAT, no inferences from the average required.

Obama was genuinely impressive and picked as a future president by his classmates because he was truly extraordinary as a a slightly above average HLS intellect.

gently caress off, racist.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They're popular because, like Apple and The Chive, they mass-distributed stupid vinyl stickers for idiots to put on their cars and pretend to be off-road outdoorsy types, and also give them free advertising.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

saintonan posted:

They're popular because they're really loving good coolers. I can put ice in mine on Friday afternoon for a weekend camping trip and still have bits of ice Sunday night when I get back. It's easy to heft around, easy to clean, and makes for one less thing to worry about on trips.

You've got a Yeti sticker on your Jeep Compass, don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sir Tonk posted:

good example of the Houston suburbs

Seriously, gently caress The Woodlands. Ugh.