Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
Thanks, I'll get the client downloaded and set up tonight if I can.

I was thinking about what would be good to duo with today at work instead of working.

How would a Shm/Mag work out in PoP? Great buffs/debuffs/nukes and pet can either tank or DPS. Or Shm/Pal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I'm making a 3box Pal/Shm/Monk and here's why:

Shm is a given. They're the strongest single class by far and pretty much necessary to handle a lot of the content regardless of group size. Complete Heal isn't the WIN button in PoP that it was previously and the druid utility (ports) is vastly less useful due to PoK.

Monk: There's tons of better choices for this pick, but I played a monk for years and really want to keep playing one. Plus a well-played monk mostly eliminates the need for CC in areas that aren't heavily trafficked.

Pal: Wanted to remake Kodaji and be an SK, but Pal has 90% rez while being basically the same class minus FD and snare (making shm a troll for snare)

Not sure how mages fared in PoP. Mages in general have huge swings based on expansion and I don't remember where they fell in PoP. Shm/Mage is probably solid as hell regardless since you can stack the mage pet, then slow and heal. It's pretty hard to have a bad time with a Shaman :v: I'm admittedly biased and find mage tied with rogue for the most boring loving class of all time.

If you want a duo who can kill the hardest stuff regardless of xp rate or anything else, SK/Shm is pretty goddamn invincible at the expense of taking 2 years to kill something.

If you add a third box, PoP bards were absolutely insane when it comes to utility. Probably not the best class as far as kill speed, but they stomped the gently caress out of everyone else because of FM and just being all-around stupidly good

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 30, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Do you REALLY want to play a bard box without melody or macroquest?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How would a Druid/Mage/Necro 3box work? Druid/Shaman/Necro?

Or is it better off to make sure you have a real tank in a 3box group?

Any 3box info/advice is welcome :)

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 30, 2014

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I was following this on the RR forums, saying 'nope' 'nope' cant do it... but its winter so... :)

Probably will run with Cleric, Druid, Enc. (Yes, again, how creative!?)

Even though I know I should do Shaman/Knight/Whatever and be more stable and relaxed.

<What>

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Herv posted:

I was following this on the RR forums, saying 'nope' 'nope' cant do it... but its winter so... :)

Probably will run with Cleric, Druid, Enc. (Yes, again, how creative!?)

Even though I know I should do Shaman/Knight/Whatever and be more stable and relaxed.

<What>

:holy::neckbeard::pervert::q::toot::xd:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Haha, getting the band back together!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Meeeeeeh I'm not sure I can stomach the EQMac client to be honest. I just logged in and it was a brutal reminder of how terrible the camera and mouse control is.

Regarding boxing; personally I am a huge fan of having a porter in the group - or having all Gate classes, but that's not really feasable since I like melee. Wizards can't do anything but port, nuke and cast invis/lev I guess. Druids on the other hand have a ton of utility on top of ports, but the bummer about them is that they overlap too much with Shamans; having both would be kinda silly.

If you focus the group on a melee char, you just gotta have haste and slow. This can be done by Enchanter and Shaman. Enchanter can do some nuking while there's no buffing or debuffing to be done, but not much else.... Shaman is super versatile on the other hand.

I don't know about healing without a Cleric, though. CH is godly, and until PoP, shaman/druid heals are quite frankly a joke unless I remember incorrectly.

I read on the EQMac forums that the most powerful combo on EQMac was Enchanter/Druid, as you could charm your heart out with support from the Druid. PoP's actual release on TAK is far away though, and don't forget the stress of charming... I gave it a little shot on EQMac (only to level 25 or so), and it was just too much work making charms stick.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is it possible to play on this server using windowed mode? I logged on to mess around, and it's very antiquated. Not that it's a bad thing, it will just take some getting used to. I'm trying to figure out the best way to 3box on here.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

Is it possible to play on this server using windowed mode? I logged on to mess around, and it's very antiquated. Not that it's a bad thing, it will just take some getting used to. I'm trying to figure out the best way to 3box on here.
Certainly; just use EQW. If you got that certain package, there's an executable named "eqw.exe" in the directory, just run that and it'll guide you.

I noticed that I had to close WinEQ2 (which I use for P1999) or EQMac would crash. Well, either it was that, or it was the C:\EQMac junction that did it.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

RCarr posted:

Left field guess, but make sure you have NewUI=TRUE in your eqclient.ini

Quick guide for EQW 1920x1080: http://www.takproject.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=777

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Just want to say, cannot wait to see everyone again on this server, even if its just for a little while. :)

Miss you guys and you know I mean it!!

4 Hours till crushbone wipe and CR.*

* A lie, I will be poaching every cracked staff in GFay to buy the lvl 1/4 enc pet like a chump.

My bags will be overloaded and unorganized with complete crap by day 2. (Sorry Manstache)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'm wondering if I should stay up long enough to get an early start, or just wait until tomorrow morning. It wouldn't be the first time I was up past 3:00 AM playing EQ. Not even close.

Also, I missed this earlier:

a real jerk posted:

Who the hell yells at Sketched?

I swear my sister Swatchette(EQMac)/Niamha(PEQ) yelled at him in guildchat every time she saw him online. And never once explained why.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I'm wondering if I should stay up long enough to get an early start, or just wait until tomorrow morning. It wouldn't be the first time I was up past 3:00 AM playing EQ. Not even close.

Also, I missed this earlier:

I swear my sister Swatchette(EQMac)/Niamha(PEQ) yelled at him in guildchat every time she saw him online. And never once explained why.

I have no memory of this, but I do remember those names. Hi!

Go to bed though, there's like a 70% chance of crashes all day long tomorrow. If you're up anyway, just grab every cool name you can think of. That's my plan but sleep is way more likely

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 1, 2015

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

It opens at Midnight tonight as in an hour from now?

Who else gonna be on in the rush? I haven't got ISBoxer set up yet (go on steam Kodaji) but level 1 is easy enough to just alt tab, I guess. Let's group up.

e: the google drive link on the Rerolled forums keeps failing for me at 4.9GB. Someone posted a torrent in a different thread and it seems seeded okay: http://www.filedropper.com/eqmaccrar

double e: I am in as Goonlord the Troll Shaman and Cheeto the Ogre SK and Steve the Gnome Mage
add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/dracneir/

Dracneir fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 2, 2015

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Got distracted by D3, getting on Steam now if you're still around to get my ISboxer set up. Assuming the next 12-24 hours will be a clusterfuck so I'm not really in a huge hurry

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Got in no problem and played for maybe 30 minutes just now in felwithe with zero crashes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'll be getting my team set up shortly. Should we make a goon channel?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Weird, went to log in and neither machine can connect with the OSX client.

They did just a couple of days ago.

Oh well, booted into windows and snagging the PC client. Maybe today.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Will ISBoxer work with this considering it's the godawful old Mac client? I remember trying my best back when the real Al'Kabor server was running, and it just wouldn't work. I also tried my hardest at making AHK send keystrokes to background EQ windows, but it wouldn't work. I resorted to writing macros with a tool callled Hotkeynet, where I wrote hotkeys that would very quickly switch to a specific EQ window, press a key, then back again. Worked ok, but was of course not comparable to the modern ISBoxer experience.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man. every loving time. I already don't know what class/race to pick.

I'm thinking Shaman because the class and soloing always interested me, but no idea on the race. I don't like playing evil races too much, but with PoK in, I don't think it really matters as much. Just wondering if alchemy is a horrible tradeskill to skill up or not...or if it's even worthwhile since PoK exists, etc.

Is the cat race a viable shaman race? I think most people do ogre for the front stun immunity and troll/iksar for the regen.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I don't remember it ever working Pils.

Going to hedge my bets and try to run this on windows (Also... I like getting help from the wizards of PC boxin). For AK live I preferred how everything ran on OSX even though I am not a Mac guy to be honest. I used 'Launcherfrien' and the OSX desktop switcher and it was all I needed since I was only running the three casters.

Dinner with the in-laws tonight, just not meant to be today.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

nwin posted:

Is the cat race a viable shaman race? I think most people do ogre for the front stun immunity and troll/iksar for the regen.
No, because look at 'em :colbert:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

yeah gently caress it. rolling an ogre.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

I'm using Dexpot(http://dexpot.de/?id=download) for window switching, it's pretty okay so far.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I would always go with Ogres for Shaman or Warrior until gear finally levels the field like a year into the game. :getin:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Even then they're still good for frontal stun resist. I don't think they started giving it to warriors until GoD?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Created an ogre troll named Droll and a high elf wizard named Cukekis

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Herv posted:

I would always go with Ogres for Shaman or Warrior until gear finally levels the field like a year into the game. :getin:

Regen > stun immunity unless you're soloing :colbert:

Also I fought with ISBoxer a while and it just flat won't work. Giving that Dexpot thing a try before I try HotkeyNet. Even EQWindows won't work because the client's so old it doesn't even support hardware cursors :sigh: Also means there's no way to limit FPS to 60, so my mouselook sensitivity is hosed up vertically

Edit - I fixed the mouselook/FPS problem by changing the FPS limits to 60 in EQW.ini and forcing the frame limit in NvidiaInspector as well.

Edit2 - Zliz are you gonna fix your map program to grab the new log file/location or you want me to do it? I ugly-hacked mine to work

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 2, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Got my 3box team to level 4! I went with Pally/Druid/Chanter - feels a little short on DPS at the moment, but hopefully haste/breeze/damage shield/etc will fix that once I level up some.

I need maps so badly :negative:

Character names are Budd, Miller, & Coors.

Edit: Thanks!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 2, 2015

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Gimme a sec and I'll post working maps for now, then Zliz can make the program not-code-hideous later if he wants. Note that the way I hosed with it, the maps will change/update for every box at the same time right now. If you just want the maps on one, turn off logging on the others.

Edit - here ya go:

http://www.filedropper.com/zlizmacrelease

If you've ever used Zliz maps before, you'll have to delete the config file from %AppData%\ZlizMap before you start this version or it'll crash/not work

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Herv - Enc
Mafx - Druid
Tyka - Cleric

My shits all hosed up and retarded on OSX (no mouse clicks??), hopping in on windows for now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Herv posted:

Herv - Enc
Mafx - Druid
Tyka - Cleric

My shits all hosed up and retarded on OSX (no mouse clicks??), hopping in on windows for now.

Mine does the same thing! If you're able to get into the world, type "/mc c" without quotes and a pop up box should display some error. Click ok and then you should be good to go.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Thanks for the program update Kodaji.

Should we all make our own guild or join a pubbie one?

Since it's a beta some social mobs seem to be broken as in they don't help each other. The best one I have found is Bonebinder Warrens in FoB. Lots of spiders and spiderling silk (finance your spells) and pretty good area to bring your 3-box from level 2-6 or so. Safe area in an otherwise crazy newbie zone.

Check out that sweet ping. Also there is a bug right now where if you have a pet summoner box when you summon a pet they will DC. Oops.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

poo poo's all hosed up period, that's the fun part about day 1 :v: I've already found some zonelines that dump you at horrible places and Goonlord found places social aggro doesn't exist

Edit - quick new maps release that gets rid of the spam msg boxes because PoK isn't found

http://www.filedropper.com/zlizmacreleasev2

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 2, 2015

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

Mine does the same thing! If you're able to get into the world, type "/mc c" without quotes and a pop up box should display some error. Click ok and then you should be good to go.

That did it, thanks!

Totally forgot about that command. Man I am rusty, still getting it together.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Manstache - ranger
Jippy - cleric
Duncton - shaman

Plus a bunch of alts I have ideas for I like alts don't judge me!!!

goon guild would be sweet, chat channel would be cool too

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010
I tried this thing out and then my keyboard controls randomly remapped themselves to random nonsense before I got to level 2. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

What's a good FPS limiter so that mouse turning doesn't take six years?

• Locked thread