Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

nwin posted:

Ah good to know. I did thought I noticed that my necro pet was tanking a lot better than my ogre shaman.

One thing about a pet class though-the run speed is so jacked right now that PC's outrun NPC's like crazy. I couldn't figure out where the gently caress Xibarer went until he ran up to me when I was 5 seconds away from camping yesterday when I finally figured that one out.

They actually fixed run speed earlier today, at least for my purposes. Ruined the whole quadding without sow or snare thing I had going on my 7 druid.

Forgot to add about magicians/pet classes: pets take no experience if any group member(even solo) does at least 1 damage. This is accurate to live AK though! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE

a real jerk posted:

NPCs as a whole are too strong at the moment compared to PCs; nearly always hit, usually for max or near max - so NPC vs NPC is a better matchup than letting your PC get his poo poo wrecked. Innate DS on fire pet is just the icing on the cake really.

That actually explains a lot, I felt like my SK was way too squishy even when fighting light blues or greens. I thought it was because he was mostly naked. Also explains why my mage's fire pet seemed to destroy everything, I guess it's because he got hit every time.

Is there a timeline when that bug will be fixed?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

One thing about a pet class though-the run speed is so jacked right now that PC's outrun NPC's like crazy.

I count that as a positive so far. ;)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are there any good resources to find info on quests and the like for this server? I'd like to be able to browse around and see what quests would be worth doing at my level.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Might try this out again after a few more patches. Spell gems graying out, group bugs, random disconnects make it a bit annoying.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Yeah I literally can't 3box at all yet. My 3rd box 100% disconnects on every zone change and my 2nd has a 50/50 chance as well. Haven't had a chance to see the other bugs yet because I get annoyed and stop trying within 15 minutes every time I log in

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Yeap. :(

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?

MrTheDevious posted:

Yeah I literally can't 3box at all yet. My 3rd box 100% disconnects on every zone change and my 2nd has a 50/50 chance as well. Haven't had a chance to see the other bugs yet because I get annoyed and stop trying within 15 minutes every time I log in

I was having this problem, and if I zone one at a time and keep the screen focused on the client that is zoning until he pops out the other side, I don't get the disconnect. I really only had this bug if i zoned one toon, and swapped windows mid-zone to grab the other one.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Crosspost from the P1999 thread:

Here's version 4 of my map tool with some major changes. All readme and files are now found at:

http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap

Direct download: http://www.zlizeq.com/Files/ZlizEQMap-v4.zip

Version 4 changes:
  • The program has been renamed to simply ZlizEQMap.
  • The way zone data is stored and other things has been majorly rewritten, and you should thus delete all existing files before upgrading. Settings will be reset and a dialog will be shown upon running the program for the first time where you must set your EQ directory and other options. You may cleanup the .ini file that contained settings for the old version by deleting the directory named "%appdata%\ZlizEQMapP1999".
  • Maps for Velious have been added, although the full zone names (e.g. The Great Divide) have not been verified against how they are/will be on the emu servers. In case of mistakes, contact me. The zone names can be also be changed in the files named ZoneData-xxx.txt in the \ZoneData directory.
  • Extra maps have been added for the following zones: Plane of Fear, Howling Stones (Charasis).
  • The program can now be tweaked to support any emu server, not only Project1999. Currently, Project1999 and The Al'Kabor Project are implemented.
  • A simple profile management system has been implemented, which can be adjusted in the Settings & Help form. You may have a second profile that runs off a different EQ directory and a different zone dataset. Upon switching profile (click the Save button), the map data (different zone names and available zones for example) is reloaded without having to restart.
  • Submaps for a zone now sometimes have a description for them, e.g. "Levels One and Two" for the first map of Befallen. The description is shown when hovering the mouse over the map image thumbnail.
  • The version number of the program has been moved to the bottom of the Settings & Help form.
  • The readme for the program is now found on http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap
  • Bugfix: The program now handles the case where you have renamed your EQ directory after last running it. The dialog for starting the program for the first time will be shown instead of just crashing.
  • Bugfix: Submap thumbnails are now sorted correctly.
  • Bugfix: The red direction arrow plotted on the map is now more persistent. It is no longer turned into an 'x' upon minimizing and restoring the program, and is also shown correctly if you performed a /loc while the program was minimized.
  • Bugfix: Fixed incorrect loc scaling in Grobb map
  • Technical change: The text files and images have been renamed to the shorthand name of the zones, e.g. "ecommons1.txt". The mapping between the shorthand and full zone names (e.g. East Commonlands) can be found in the ZoneData-xxx.txt files in the \ZoneData directory.
  • Technical change: The connections for a zone are now stored in the ZoneConnections.txt file in the \ZoneData directory.
  • Technical change: Added support for map images in GIF and PNG format.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Server seems to be going pretty good so far, stable and they fixed a lot of the group/zoning/chat bugs. Level 17 on my 3 characters right now. Who is still playing?

They released a patch today that nerfed XP gain and Kithicor forest drops a lot, I think they are trying to battle the poopsockers, which is a pretty hopeless battle. There was some drop rate/respawn bug on a lot of high end items and people were PLing to 50 really fast. Right now the XP gain seems so slow it's almost bugged after the patch though, way slower than vanilla in some zones and faster in others. Hopefully they fix it in the next day or two.

Dracneir fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 15, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Dracneir posted:

Server seems to be going pretty good so far, stable and they fixed a lot of the group/zoning/chat bugs. Level 17 on my 3 characters right now. Who is still playing?

They released a patch today that nerfed XP gain and Kithicor forest drops a lot, I think they are trying to battle the poopsockers, which is a pretty hopeless battle. There was some drop rate/respawn bug on a lot of high end items and people were PLing to 50 really fast. Right now the XP gain seems so slow it's almost bugged after the patch though, way slower than vanilla in some zones and faster in others. Hopefully they fix it in the next day or two.

They nerfed XP gain after the poopsockers were already 50 though.

I'm on break until they fix exp, a deep red should give more than 2% XP under AK mechanics

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I logged in for about an hour today and I'd say about 1/2 the mobs I killed I didn't get experience from. I assume due to being out of exp range.. but I was still in casting range while my pets tanked. Was pretty lame.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Experience was painfully slow as it was. I doubt I'll last much longer if they did lower it more. Between the 20+% of a level lost on every death, the constant dying due to freezing and disconnecting, the 20 minute corpse runs, and now lower xp per kill... there's way too much risk, and not enough reward.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

RCarr posted:

20+% of a level lost on every death

Lolwhat. Nowhere in EQ's lifespan has a death ever been even remotely that much xp. Continuing to actively not play while hoping they fix the glaring issues that seem to be piling up rather than reducing :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It's still beta and they seem really concerned about fixing all the poo poo. Though it might be better for some of the things to get worked out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

Lolwhat. Nowhere in EQ's lifespan has a death ever been even remotely that much xp. Continuing to actively not play while hoping they fix the glaring issues that seem to be piling up rather than reducing :(

Yea that's the point. I've lost over 25% of a level when dying on this server multiple times. I guess it's a bug, but it still completely robs you of any desire to play.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

I think they fixed the death XP loss bug. And XP is better than it was yesterday too. Not sure about the XP range thing.

It's been a lot of fun for me so far. Just need to get a higher server pop really.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

drat, now this is tempting. I hope they get some of those bugs worked out. Would be like 99 with three boxing.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ha I was hoping you'd show up at some point.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Going to try to get back in there this month. Can't find my sock.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

People crying about the xp in Alliance was pretty delicious tho.

Sketched
Oct 26, 2005
Sweet thanks a lot for the update Pilsner, it works great on EQMac. There have been some significant improvements on the network side. And yeah, sometimes there are issues like the XP one. I am mildly concerned about Speedz being a little too quick to take offense, and/or ban, but the rest of the team is pretty levelheaded, so hopefully that will work itself out. Still only lvl 11 on my guys, I haven't had too much time to play.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Played pretty much flawlessly today. No lag or DC or group issues and the XP rate and XP loss both felt just fine. If you gave up give it a try again.

Also there were 21 people in Unrest.and it became train town just like classic. Who else is still playing?

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I'm going to try it out against my better judgement. Will probably be named Jeah and Buds. Is there a guild up?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Gonna give it another shot here too, only on your recommendation~

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

There's no official goon guild, although Armed & Hammered seems to be mostly goons. I'm in it and I know a couple of other goons are too (not sure of their forum names).

Up to level 22 on all my guys now. Server still seems to be going strong, although doesn't seem like an economy has really started yet. I rarely see people auctioning items. Probably because pop is still relatively low enough you can just farm what you want.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I'm also in Armed & Hammered.

I have 3 42ish mages Dwerk, Dert, Derp.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Does anyone know if 3-boxing is a temporary thing, or whether that's just for testing? imo the best thing about Project 99 was the one box limit.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Nope that's the limit forever. It's tempered by the fact some of us have constant crashes on one or more boxes, so if you don't have 3 logged in, you spend most of your time not doing anything :mad:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

MrTheDevious posted:

Nope that's the limit forever. It's tempered by the fact some of us have constant crashes on one or more boxes, so if you don't have 3 logged in, you spend most of your time not doing anything :mad:

Ah, that sucks. Maybe it's :tinfoil: but I'm convinced boxing is what kills these EQ emu servers.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Yeah, I agree. Juggling 3 characters in 3 windows makes most people too busy to talk in groups, if they are even inclined to respond to group requests in the first place. Just makes for a very anti-social experience where everyone is essentially soloing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's tough. I love being able to 3 box, just because I know that if I can't find a group (or don't have time) I can still get some poo poo done. On the other hand, it absolutely kills the social aspect of the game, which is arguably the best part of the game.

I should just give up 3boxing for now and focus on one box. If I ever actually log on again...

*If I log on again, would I be able to get into Armed and Hammered? Or is there some asperger set of prerequisites that I would need to meet first?*

Actually having people to talk to, group with would go a long way to getting me back into this.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
last time I looked they had a level 20 joining requirement but idk what it is now.

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?
Honestly, they sound like a hardcore raiding guild, and I'd rather have the casual goon-friendly spergtastic experience like we had on Live a few years ago during the Great Goon Rush ( I think I was the only nonboxer in the guild, and one of the only druids)

If you guys wanna get together and all get online to form <what> then I would be totally down.

A sidenote, dracnier and I both hit mid 20s this weekend during some super fun Upper Guk dungeoneering and are getting closer to item-farm mode.

Honestly, it's like 1999 all over again =).

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

So how is the state of the xp issues I've read about? I've been kicking around the idea of trying this out for a while, but I'm already going to have a hefty learning curve from being so used to the modern ease of EQ in general. Not sure I could handle the combination of that and any significant buggy headaches.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

XP is fine. Dompy and I shelved it for now due to just general issues with pathing/combat. Had one too many wipes in Runnyeye or Solusek's Eye to mobs we couldn't see or target. I hope in a few months a lot of the serverside issues are ironed out. I think our corpses decayed by now..

Anyone know why they can't just take the PEQ Emu database and make it impossible to go to zones beyond PoP and remove GoD/etc AA's, augments and so on? I'm playing on a progression server right now (Imperium) that does a similar thing. Seems like it'd be easier than recreating everything from scratch.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

They could. I think their reason is because they wanted it to work with the oldass (lovely) Mac client and PEQ won't work with it. Not sure though

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
AK live was pretty much the victory lap for me on EQ.

I think my Q days are behind me, it was great to play it as it evolved from vanilla on, but that is a long time ago.

'They say' that the endgame mobs are broken except for Phinny, at least thats what they are saying over at rerolled.

Hope to hear that they get this beta worked out and I'll be checking on it from time to time.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Naggy and Vox are both broken... everything is broken in some odd way. I'm curious how long it will take them to get everything in order, if ever.

Definitely something to keep an eye on, but lots of other EQ Emu options to play on besides this or P99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Numbers are sagging. Priorities of the project seem odd. Methinks they opened up too soon.

• Locked thread