Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
MLB.TV has been added if any baseball fans were waiting on that one.

http://amazon.com/MLB-Advanced-Media-L-P-MLB-TV/dp/B00LH9UG3O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

So I got mine in on Thursday and enjoying it so far. My ATV 2's HDMI crapped out on me and they don't seem to be pushing a new one soon, so I figured for $100 why not.

The only problem is the AirReceiver app not being able to do portrait on my iPhone 5S, which hopefully gets updated soon. My only other gripe is Netflix needs to update their app to the much better looking interface :allears:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

kloa posted:

My only other gripe is Netflix needs to update their app to the much better looking interface :allears:

Yeah, this doesn't make much sense, I'm assuming there is a version of the Netflix android app that doesn't look like butt?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Disney just added their line up of apps.

Watch Disney Channel = http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WATCH-Channel/dp/B00BFWY2KG/ref=lp_7031433011_1_11?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1406325988&sr=1-11
Watch Disney XD = http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WATCH-XD/dp/B00BFX4FUM/ref=lp_7031433011_1_17?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1406325988&sr=1-17
Watch Disney Junior = http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WATCH-Junior/dp/B00BFX2DI8/ref=lp_7031433011_1_19?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1406325988&sr=1-19

Watch ABC and Watch ABC Family are still suppose to be coming soon.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 25, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've been using both a roku 3 and a fire tv in my house sans cable. When I check out my amazon prime content via roku, i can easily browse all prime movies / tv as well as by channel, like all BBC , CBS, ABC , etc content.

When I try and do the same via the actual fire tv, I can only see reccomended TV/Movies, and only recently added movies. Is there any way I can actually browse all Prime content i have available ? Its really glaring the difference in browsing the content i want to see, anyone else have this problem ? better yet, a solution?

roku basically gives you a view into all content broken out much like the HBO stuff is special

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Roundboy posted:

I've been using both a roku 3 and a fire tv in my house sans cable. When I check out my amazon prime content via roku, i can easily browse all prime movies / tv as well as by channel, like all BBC , CBS, ABC , etc content.

When I try and do the same via the actual fire tv, I can only see reccomended TV/Movies, and only recently added movies. Is there any way I can actually browse all Prime content i have available ? Its really glaring the difference in browsing the content i want to see, anyone else have this problem ? better yet, a solution?

roku basically gives you a view into all content broken out much like the HBO stuff is special

Have you updated your box recently? Amazon added a bunch of Prime related navigation in the last update. Granted, it's not nearly as robust as the Roku app since it's can only show a limited number of titles and there's no network search but it's something.

Beyond that, you can search on the site and add the things that interest you to your watchlist. (again, not optimal but it's something)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Have you updated your box recently? Amazon added a bunch of Prime related navigation in the last update. Granted, it's not nearly as robust as the Roku app since it's can only show a limited number of titles and there's no network search but it's something.

Beyond that, you can search on the site and add the things that interest you to your watchlist. (again, not optimal but it's something)

True, Its just that I didnt even know what I wanted to watch until i browsed past it in the various places. I can see why amazon would not want to make it easy to see -only free content- vs paid included, but its a nice thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The Fire TV is $84 right now, thinking I might pull the trigger.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Three Olives posted:

The Fire TV is $84 right now, thinking I might pull the trigger.

I pulled the trigger on this, is there any cheap way to get my old harmony remote to control this or am I going to have to use 2 remotes/ shell out for the $100 Logitech hub?

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 13, 2014

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
$84 is a great deal. I just bought one last week. I emailed support and they refunded me the difference in a matter of minutes.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

has anyone used a Roku 3, and can compare them? I just picked one up about 10 days ago and I'm really enjoying it - wondering if the Fire TV would give me any benefits. I figured my only other option would be an HTPC. What's this thing like for up to 16-bit emulators??

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

dalstrs posted:

I pulled the trigger on this, is there any cheap way to get my old harmony remote to control this or am I going to have to use 2 remotes/ shell out for the $100 Logitech hub?

Some google searches say you can go out and use one of these in the USB port and then program your Harmony accordingly. There's a thread here that has some discussion on using it.

I really don't want to have to use the only usb port for a IR receiver. I'm assuming you can put a USB hub on this and hook up a keyboard and some game controllers as well?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Guitarchitect posted:

has anyone used a Roku 3, and can compare them? I just picked one up about 10 days ago and I'm really enjoying it - wondering if the Fire TV would give me any benefits. I figured my only other option would be an HTPC. What's this thing like for up to 16-bit emulators??

I use both, and I'm honestly torn on which one I would say is better hands down.

The firetv UI is much better,but amazon heavy.

Roku is said to have many more channels, but I find the vast majority of them to be poo poo. For kids stuff, I added a few channels with tons of free content. Conversely, amazon prime,and ftv making it easy to get to it, also does the same thing

Prime video is like the old Netflix when it actually had stuff.

Roku has a better hook into the prime content, so I can browse entire libraries, whereas ftv shows me only small subsets by design.

I dont play games on roku, but the ftv(for the kids) is like a cheap game console. Cons: its the amazon app store, so you will rebuy everything . you can sideload, but its a pain in the dick to access.

99% of my TV comes from Plex, which is better on ftv.

Ftv has the same ff,pause etc options as roku. Both remotes suck for egononomics.

I can answer any other specific questions you have about either.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Roundboy posted:

I dont play games on roku, but the ftv(for the kids) is like a cheap game console. Cons: its the amazon app store, so you will rebuy everything . you can sideload, but its a pain in the dick to access.

If you're like me and you always click the free app of the day, even though you don't have an android device to use them on, you'll find that you have a decent Fire TV library right out the gate.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you're like me and you always click the free app of the day, even though you don't have an android device to use them on, you'll find that you have a decent Fire TV library right out the gate.

I should start doing that. I actively avoided the amazon store because i loathe the pissing contest they and google play have, and the fact I have to rebuy the SAME app on both devices (Plex)

And the amazon store updates much slower.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
How well does hulu (non-plus) work? My htpc is getting pretty tired and was trying to decided whether to upgrade it or get a fire tv type device. We'd just be using it for viewing content stored on my network and hulu, and maybe Netflix eventually

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon pushed an update today that blocks root.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-fire-tv-firmware-blocks-rooting/

Mine updated before I read that. It also broke my voice search but the XBMC setup I had on home page still works so I'll wait and see what happens before I try anything. Turns out that my remote needed an update. Voice search is working again.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 16, 2014

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Just jumped on the sale and getting mine in today. Before I update, what are the advantages of having root? What would I be missing without it?

CarlGustav
Nov 11, 2013

Not That Into You posted:

Just jumped on the sale and getting mine in today. Before I update, what are the advantages of having root? What would I be missing without it?

You will have
- no external USB support
- no installation of apks from unknown sources
- no apps that require super user support
- no working google play store
- no alternative keyboards

you can still sideload many great apps... i sold my slow apple tv 2 with jailbreak and my apple tv 3 since the fire tv is far better than those two

i think it might be possible to downgrade to the last firmware ... check out the fore tv xda forums for more information

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

CarlGustav posted:

You will have
- no external USB support
- no apps that require super user support
- no working google play store
- no alternative keyboards

you can still sideload many great apps... i sold my slow apple tv 2 with jailbreak and my apple tv 3 since the fire tv is far better than those two

i think it might be possible to downgrade to the last firmware ... check out the fore tv xda forums for more information

You don't need root for xbmc do you?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CarlGustav posted:

This one isn't true. The new update specifically added a 'install from unknown sources' option under developer tools in the settings. (Not that you couldn't do it beforehand but now you can turn it off)

Another cool, but minor, thing you can't do without root is replace the Classic TV icon with a XBMC one if you do the reroute trick.

dalstrs posted:

You don't need root for xbmc do you?

Yeah. Root's not necessary to sideload XBMC.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 14, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Can someone provide details on using the google play store on the fire TV? Sounds like that is exactly what I need

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Roundboy posted:

I use both, and I'm honestly torn on which one I would say is better hands down.

The firetv UI is much better,but amazon heavy.

Roku is said to have many more channels, but I find the vast majority of them to be poo poo. For kids stuff, I added a few channels with tons of free content. Conversely, amazon prime,and ftv making it easy to get to it, also does the same thing

Prime video is like the old Netflix when it actually had stuff.

Roku has a better hook into the prime content, so I can browse entire libraries, whereas ftv shows me only small subsets by design.

99% of my TV comes from Plex, which is better on ftv.

Ftv has the same ff,pause etc options as roku. Both remotes suck for egononomics.

I can answer any other specific questions you have about either.

How would you compare prime video with netflix? I'm in Canada but using unblock-us, and netflix is a bit... underwhelming. so far most of what I want to watch is only on DVD. does prime video have the same/better film/TV selection? and when you say plex is better on ftv, how so?

Can anyone tell me what it's like for playing NES/SNES emulators? And what does the new firmware update mean for that?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I thought the Prime video selection was way worse than Netflix, it seemed like a good value if you wanted Prime for shipping but it felt more like a really nice bonus than something worth subscribing to Prime for.

My understanding of XBMC is one of the bonuses being basically an on demand Netflix experience for :filez: vs Plex being more for local sources, even if those came from :filez: .

I don't want to bring :filez: talk in here but is that basically the case, XBMC can be configured as Netflix for :filez:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Plex on roku is a horrible ui constrained by the api of roku.

In ftv it is a proper 'ten foot ui' especially made for browsing on a TV from the couch. Ever use the web Plex player? You get all those filter options, roku, only categories premade

Netflix has been losing movies ever since the stars deal went away years ago. There are some occasional gems, but I can't remember the last time I used it for movies. In fact, I keep losing out in stuff saved in my list as Netflix pulls it.

Amazon prime movies are not HUGE, but there us enough there to find something Netflix does not have. And they add new stuff often.

Both are pretty strong in TV, but ap has a large list if american TV station catalogs, the HBO stuff, and a large BBC library

Is it worth $99 or whatever it is a year? Probably, especially with the shipping. But I have it split with people so I pay $20/year for it. So no brained.

Even at full price $10/m is cheaper then cable

Edit: prime also gets modern TV quickly. Season 1 if shows now in s2. My wife was watching a few shows getting caught up

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Have they updated the Netflix app at all? The last time I used it on the FireTV it looked like the generic app that all of the Chinese media players get or something.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

Have they updated the Netflix app at all? The last time I used it on the FireTV it looked like the generic app that all of the Chinese media players get or something.
I have no complaints about the Netflix app on my firetv.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

It is still using a weird "not the same as everyone else" app for reasons unknown.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I think I'm going back on the Fire TV, I have a Sony Google TV that while it doesn't support XBMC it does support Plex which I haven't set up but should. It basically does what I want it to do, basic web browser with flash that works on a fair number of sites, Airplay, it's not as nearly as fast as the Fire TV but it does have HDMI passthrough/overlay which I really like.

Basically the only thing that would really make me want to switch is a greatly upgraded browser/flash experience but it looks like it is basically going to be the same. I already have a TiVo with a Google TV in the living room and TVs with Rokus in the kitchen and bedroom, is there any compelling reason why I shouldn't just save the $85 and wait to see if it get's tons better app support?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Three Olives posted:

I think I'm going back on the Fire TV, I have a Sony Google TV that while it doesn't support XBMC it does support Plex which I haven't set up but should. It basically does what I want it to do, basic web browser with flash that works on a fair number of sites, Airplay, it's not as nearly as fast as the Fire TV but it does have HDMI passthrough/overlay which I really like.

Basically the only thing that would really make me want to switch is a greatly upgraded browser/flash experience but it looks like it is basically going to be the same. I already have a TiVo with a Google TV in the living room and TVs with Rokus in the kitchen and bedroom, is there any compelling reason why I shouldn't just save the $85 and wait to see if it get's tons better app support?

I would wait for android tv

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

is PseudoTV really crashy for anyone else? I can't seem to get it stable enough

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

Call Me Charlie posted:

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-fire-tv-firmware-blocks-rooting/

Mine updated before I read that. It also broke my voice search but the XBMC setup I had on home page still works so I'll wait and see what happens before I try anything. Turns out that my remote needed an update. Voice search is working again.

I guess I got lucky. I was unaware of this update and bought a FTV. Amazon pushed an update, which installed, but I was still able to root mine. Maybe the update was a prerequisite for the update that blocks root.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I think so, because I just bought an amazon tv today too from staples so far..i'm not really impressed, XBMC doesn't seem to play anything smoothly compared to my roku 2 with Plex. PseudoTV was the main reason I wanted it for the living room and that poo poo crashes all the time and there isn't a single non-convoluted guide to setting it up. I probably won't return it but just use Plex which I found out costs $4.99 on the amazon appstore...

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Photex posted:

I think so, because I just bought an amazon tv today too from staples so far..i'm not really impressed, XBMC doesn't seem to play anything smoothly compared to my roku 2 with Plex. PseudoTV was the main reason I wanted it for the living room and that poo poo crashes all the time and there isn't a single non-convoluted guide to setting it up. I probably won't return it but just use Plex which I found out costs $4.99 on the amazon appstore...

It goes on sale a lot. And there have been lots of ways to get it free throughout time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plex is worth way more than $4.99.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

XBMC doesn't seem to play anything smoothly compared to my roku 2 with Plex.
I can promise you, I have not found a single video file that does not play smoothly in xbmc on either of my firetvs. Even over wifi.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

adorai posted:

I can promise you, I have not found a single video file that does not play smoothly in xbmc on either of my firetvs. Even over wifi.

I've got 2 Fire TVs both running XBMC and everything plays back smoothly for me

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I did a reinstall of XBMC and it seems to have solved the problem of choppy playback, PseudoTV still crashes and the only other problem I have is videos repeating after they are done playing and I can't seem to find an option to turn that off on Aeon Nox

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

adorai posted:

ShadowStalker posted:

I've got 2 Fire TVs both running XBMC and everything plays back smoothly for me

Can you let me know which version of XBMC you are using on your FireTV? XBMC on mine plays back very choppy. Some videos it completely blacks out on and if you wait 2 or 3 minutes a picture might show up. Some videos freeze completely; others show that weird effect where it looks like the video is corrupted (though it's not corrupted since it plays fine on my HTPC running XBMC).

Is it possible that me using WiFi could be contributing to this? I installed the version of XBMC recommended for the FireTV so I am at a loss on what to do.

Also I am having a really weird issue with my FireTV but searching all over yields almost no results (I'm pretty bad at Googlin' though). The audio on my FireTV is extremely awful. I am no audiophile so it's not something innocuous. It sounds like a tin can and very noisy, and everything has a slight "mosquito" type noise to it (I realize how bad of a description this is). The weirdest thing is that this happens in both Plex and Hulu, but it is way less pronounced in XBMC on the FireTV. :psyduck:

I messed around with all of the audio settings (Dolby Digital on/off, all that type of stuff). It is just going to a regular plasma TV; nothing fancy. I am using HDMI only and not optical at all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The only other thing I could think of was the FireTV intentionally making the sound lovely due to maybe a weak wi-fi signal or something but the image quality is perfect (not overly-compressed) so it makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Something is off. Too many things working badly when literally everyone has had great success with XBMC on FireTV.

Let's run it down:

You should be using Gotham. The latest Gotham is 13.2

You should go to advanced video settings and disable Mediaencode hardware decoding, only leaving libstagefright enabled. I may or may not have both those names wrong but you'll see clearly what are the actual names.

You should be using a light skin like Eminence or the new Conq. Aeon Nox is heavy and not ideal in this context.

Make sure there arent other things running in the background (try running XBMC from a cold restart).

How are you launching XBMC? Llama? Tasker? Just navigating all the way to Apps in the settings menu and launching it manually?

What type of media are you playing? From what source?

• Locked thread