Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks dude. Can you just install the regular APK of it or do you need some special Fire TV version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You just need the Android-ARM version, it's right on their website under downloads.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Is it really so hard for FTV to have an option to display the time on the main page?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Stugazi posted:

Is it really so hard for FTV to have an option to display the time on the main page?

I think it's like Vegas, they don't want you to pay attention to the time!

If you hold the center button you get to the sleep menu which has a clock. Sucks, but better than nothing...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Has anybody tried sideloading the new Opera for Android TV on Fire TV?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.tv.browser.sony.dia

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently Amazon removed Kodi from the App store and the latest software update ensures it doesn't appear in Recently Used anymore which is loving annoying. As of last night it was still working fine for me though. I have to look into other methods of getting apps on there without rooting, do the llama bypass tricks work well or are they glitchy?

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
Llama bypass works fine. Not sure if my fire tv as the latest update though. Did they remove tvmc too?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just tested Kodi/Recently Used, works fine with the latest update after I rebooted. As long as you have it in your account still. I see SPMC and other stuff up on the store so it looks like they just took down Kodi specifically.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Well I guess so much for ever figuring out why I couldn't get it to show up on my bedroom stick and only the one in my living room.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm going to update the OP. Would anybody like to see a guide on emulation? I've been messing around with it lately and it's pretty solid once you get everything set up.

I just wish the Fire TV had more onboard storage. Has anybody tried a setup with a USB hub, a USB drive with all the stuff on it and a wired 360 controller?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see an emulation guide.

I can't get the 360 controller to work properly, the controller itself will sync with the hub once its plugged in but the guide button blinks endlessly which is too distracting. Some people said this is a problem with the knockoff 360 hubs so I bought a real one and it had the same problem. I've had zero luck getting a bluetooth controller like the PS4 working with it either since it requires root. I'm nearly ready to just order the Amazon controller but it supposedly has problems mapping buttons in various emulator apps so I'm kinda throwing my hands up at this point.

Anyone else using Netflix and getting crashes might try disabling adfreetime or whatever DNS redirector they have, it fixed the issue for me.

Amazon said FireOS 5 is in the works and the FireTV/Fire Stick will hopefully be getting it too.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm going to update the OP. Would anybody like to see a guide on emulation? I've been messing around with it lately and it's pretty solid once you get everything set up.

I just wish the Fire TV had more onboard storage. Has anybody tried a setup with a USB hub, a USB drive with all the stuff on it and a wired 360 controller?

That's my current setup. I have a no-name USB 2.0 hub that I found in a box somewhere and a 64gb SSD in external enclosure, though my 360 controller is wireless with dongle. I can happily answer any questions you might have about it.

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't get the 360 controller to work properly, the controller itself will sync with the hub once its plugged in but the guide button blinks endlessly which is too distracting. Some people said this is a problem with the knockoff 360 hubs so I bought a real one and it had the same problem. I've had zero luck getting a bluetooth controller like the PS4 working with it either since it requires root. I'm nearly ready to just order the Amazon controller but it supposedly has problems mapping buttons in various emulator apps so I'm kinda throwing my hands up at this point.

The constantly blinking light thing is just par for the course. As far as I know there is no cure for it. I don't even notice it on mine anymore.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jadius posted:

That's my current setup. I have a no-name USB 2.0 hub that I found in a box somewhere and a 64gb SSD in external enclosure, though my 360 controller is wireless with dongle. I can happily answer any questions you might have about it.

So no performance issues? That's the thing that was worrying me.

Also what manager are you using? I have Gamesome but it's been having issues matching certain games.

Jadius posted:

The constantly blinking light thing is just par for the course. As far as I know there is no cure for it. I don't even notice it on mine anymore.

Must be a wireless thing. My wired controller has a solid light.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Call Me Charlie posted:

So no performance issues? That's the thing that was worrying me.

Also what manager are you using? I have Gamesome but it's been having issues matching certain games.

I haven't noticed any performance issues. I have mine rooted and until this latest update I had actually used a script to mount the external drive as /data and it seemed just as fast as installing games on the internal memory. This last update broke that, though, so I converted it to fat and reinstalled everything. I'm currently using foldermount to move the data and obbs from games and such to the external drive, and it certainly seems zippy enough. AFTVnews.com had some guide on external hard drives, and the gist of it was that it all came down to the speed of the hard drive. I just happened to have a spare SSD that I wasn't using and I'm sure that factors in a good deal.

The only major complaint that I have about my setup is that the hub is a piece of poo poo that likes to lose connection if you even slightly bump it, which requires a restart before the drive (and the 4 other things plugged into it) is accepted again. I really should just get a decent hub.

quote:

I assume you mean for emulators? I use Rom Collection Browser inside of Kodi to manage my emulation needs. It's a bit of a learning curve and will take a good while to setup, but once it's is the thing looks and works pretty classy. One of the things I like most about it is that you can add your own entries for games that can't be scraped (rom hacks for instance) with a little text editing and photoshop.

On the subject of emulators for the Fire TV, I'd like to say I'm a big fan of the .emu emulators made by Robert Broglia. They're really customizable, they accept any controller you can throw at them, and it's really nice that they all have the exact same interface.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so my Fire TV Box with SPMC just stopped playing video files all together, the fire stick in the bedroom is working fine, i've rebuilt the library but nothing successfully works, any suggestions?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Any recommendations on AirPlay receivers? Paid is fine as long as it works consistently.

isthisonetaken
Sep 9, 2011
College Slice
I tried Airtight , and got a successful connection - streaming video - once out of four times. The other times it connected audio only, or wouldn't connect at all until I rebooted the firetv and the IOS device. So I would pass on that one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like there's a new Fire TV (or Fire TV Stick) on the horizon. I'd say Fire TV because it doesn't make any sense to wipe out the top tier Fire TV or have two different version of the Stick.

quote:

The benchmark results for a mysterious device simply named the “Amazon AFTS“, which just appeared on GFXBench, is very likely the next generation Amazon Fire TV Stick. This possible Fire TV Stick 2 is boasting some impressive horsepower with benchmarking scores surpassing the original Amazon Fire TV box. It’s no surprise because, if the specs listed are accurate, the 2nd generation Fire TV Stick will be packing entirely upgraded components.

The new device has a MediaTek 1.5 GHz quad-core CPU. A considerable upgrade from the current Fire TV Stick’s Broadcom 1.0 GHz dual-core CPU. The new CPU is nearly identical to, but slightly more powerful than, the one in the latest Fire HD6 and Fire HD7 tablets introduced last September.

The area where this possible FTVS2 really differs from its predecessor is graphics. The new device packs a PowerVR GX6250 GPU. This is a dedicated GPU, where the current Fire TV Stick has much weaker graphics processing that is integrated into the CPU. The current Fire TV Stick’s lack of dedicated GPU makes it incompatible with about 30% of the Fire TV’s game library, including Minecraft, the Fire TV’s most popular game. If the benchmarks are accurate, this new CPU and GPU combo are about twice as powerful as the original Fire TV box, making it a superb gaming device.

GFXBench is reporting a peculiar 1.5 GB of RAM for the mystery device. My guess is the device actually has 2 GB of RAM, where 512 MB is being used by the GPU, resulting in a reading of only 1.5 GB. Either way, it’s a nice upgrade over the current model’s 1 GB of memory.

No surprise that internal storage appears to still be 8GB. The benchmark is reporting 4.8 GB of storage, which is likely the available space, and not the total space. It’s safe to assume the OS and a few apps are taking up about 3.2 GB since the benchmark for the original Fire TV shows it reporting about 5.5 GB of storage. The decision to not increase internal storage is disappointing, but expected from a company like Amazon, which is so focused on cloud storage.

As for the operating system, you’ll be happy to see the likely Fire TV Stick 2 is running a variation of the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop. Since Amazon recently announced that Fire OS 5, which powers Fire TV devices, is based on Android 5, it’s no surprise this new Amazon device is being tested with the latest operating system.

Finally, the device features listed on the page include Bluetooth and Wifi, which is what you’d expect from a non-smartphone/non-tablet Android device. The benchmark did not detect an accelerometer, camera, GPS, gyroscope, or proximity sensor; further solidifying that this is very likely a new TV based device from Amazon.

There is ample evidence that this device is some form of next generation Fire TV. The name “AFTS” and specs seem to indicate it is a new Fire TV Stick and not a new Fire TV. For me, the question isn’t whether this is the new Fire TV Stick, but rather, the question is, will these specs change before the device is released? We’ll have to wait and see but, if these specs are any indication, the next generation Fire TV Stick will be a beast of a device.

http://aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-2-leak-shows-more-powerful-quad-core-device-running-android-5-1

I wonder if they'll sneak launch it on Prime Day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're about 2 years away from never, ever having to care about hardware specs again, are we? Where do you go from a usb powered, $30 1080p stick that is twice as powerful as the already stupid-fast AFTV? I guess there's always 4K, but most of these devices are already 4K-capable @ 24fps, and silicon peddlers are improving their products and dropping their prices at least twice as fast as display manufacturers.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like casting Flinging support is coming soon.

quote:

Amid a slew of developer-focused announcements from Amazon today focused on things like using AWS for app testing, and the arrival of a new API Gateway service, for example, the company also introduced the new “Amazon Fling” service. Available as an SDK for iOS and Android applications, Amazon Fling allows developers to build apps that can send media content to Amazon’s Fire TV as well as work as “second screen” or companion apps to what’s already running on Fire TV.

“Flinging,” which is basically Amazon’s own version of Chromecast’s “casting,” lets a mobile app maker send a video, audio or images from their iOS or Android app to a user’s big screen TV by way of the Amazon Fire TV media player. It does this by simplifying the underlying network discovery and communication technologies that would otherwise be difficult to implement, the company explains.

With Amazon Fling, Amazon made a point to appeal to developers who are already leveraging Chromecast functionality in their apps by making it possible to integrate the new Amazon SDK with an existing Android or iOS Chromecast app. To simplify the process, the company released developer documentation that explains how to modify an existing app that’s using the Google Cast Companion Library to also support Amazon Fling.

In addition to flinging media, the SDK also lets developers build out companion apps that work with Fire TV, says Amazon.

At launch, the company pointed to a couple of examples of apps that were already taking advantage of its new toolkit. One is Karaoke Party, which displays song lyrics and videos on Amazon Fire TV while consumers sing into their smartphone as the microphone. The app developer, Red Karaoke, uses the SDK to send the audio from the phone to the TV.

Another app, Rivet Radio, lets users listen to news on the TV. The app maker in this case has adopted the SDK to allow its listeners to transition between using the app on their phone to letting everyone in the room listen in via the TV.

Developers who have already built an Amazon Fire TV app can use the SDK to both control their app, if it’s already installed, or remotely install it if not. For developers without an Amazon Fire TV app, they’re able to use the Amazon Fire TV media player instead.

The introduction of the SDK expands the possibilities for app developers who build media-focused, consumer-facing apps, as previously, “flinging” was something that Amazon supported between its compatible Kindle Fire devices (Kindle Fire HDX and Fire Phone) and Fire TV. Meanwhile, for iOS and Android users, Amazon Fire TV has supported standards like DIAL, which allows for flinging from services like YouTube, Spotify and Netflix. Fire TV also supported device mirroring from Fire OS and Android devices from Motorola, LG and Google.

But the Amazon Fling SDK makes it easier now for mobile developers to implement “flinging” support for their apps as well as take advantage of two-way communication between the media player and smartphone.

Hadlock posted:

We're about 2 years away from never, ever having to care about hardware specs again, are we? Where do you go from a usb powered, $30 1080p stick that is twice as powerful as the already stupid-fast AFTV? I guess there's always 4K, but most of these devices are already 4K-capable @ 24fps, and silicon peddlers are improving their products and dropping their prices at least twice as fast as display manufacturers.

Depends on how much you care about video games and whether app developers get crazy. I remember Roku users saying the same thing until Netflix/Hulu released new interfaces which ran like dogshit on older devices. As long as phones are holding back Android TV devices, we should be fine. Won't stop the manufactures from pushing out new products though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I decided to upgrade Kodi to Isengard to see what's new (the RC2 runs fine by the way) but I can't get Kodi back to the Recent or Apps menus anymore. Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing this, no workarounds, account sync or etc would get it back. I couldn't use the Classic TV/Llama trick due to geo restrictions and I wasn't sure what other sacrificial app would work well so I ended up installing Firestarter which works really well. It's a very basic launcher replacement where you can press Home once for its menu which includes sideloaded apps or twice for the Amazon home menu.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The Gunslinger posted:

I decided to upgrade Kodi to Isengard to see what's new (the RC2 runs fine by the way) but I can't get Kodi back to the Recent or Apps menus anymore. Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing this, no workarounds, account sync or etc would get it back. I couldn't use the Classic TV/Llama trick due to geo restrictions and I wasn't sure what other sacrificial app would work well so I ended up installing Firestarter which works really well. It's a very basic launcher replacement where you can press Home once for its menu which includes sideloaded apps or twice for the Amazon home menu.

Yeah I also lost Kodi on the recent apps menu when updating. It's because amazon took it off their marketplace.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

havenwaters posted:

Yeah I also lost Kodi on the recent apps menu when updating. It's because amazon took it off their marketplace.

Get Firestarter and set it up to open Kodi when you double tap the home button.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

It's much nicer than the alternative of setting up llama to hijack an app. And you can disable everything else so double tap to Kodi is the only thing it will do.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 12, 2015

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I am having an issue where sometimes no apps will display video. The UI on the fire and all the apps work fine, but as soon as I load a video in any app all I get is a blank screen, albeit with video. If I restart the thing then video will start to work again. Seems like it only happens if it sits idle for a while, that so far is the only time I have seen it happen.

Anyone else experience this problem? Restarting it fixes it but it's a bit of a hassle.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Porkchop Express posted:

I am having an issue where sometimes no apps will display video. The UI on the fire and all the apps work fine, but as soon as I load a video in any app all I get is a blank screen, albeit with video. If I restart the thing then video will start to work again. Seems like it only happens if it sits idle for a while, that so far is the only time I have seen it happen.

Anyone else experience this problem? Restarting it fixes it but it's a bit of a hassle.

I had a similar issue when I first got my FireTV. Youtube videos wouldn't play, videos from prime wouldn't play etc. After some research it was apparently some setting in XBMC causing the issue. Not sure if that is your issue if you don't use XBMC, but basically XBMC was still running in the background and after it went to sleep it would bug out with that settings enabled and kill all video. I believe the setting was something like "Keep audio device active" but I'm not sure....

If you have/use XBMC try to force close it and then run other videos and see if it works then, if none of this applies then I have no idea :D

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fire TV Stick supposed to be $24 on Amazon tomorrow if you're a Prime member.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

thebushcommander posted:

I had a similar issue when I first got my FireTV. Youtube videos wouldn't play, videos from prime wouldn't play etc. After some research it was apparently some setting in XBMC causing the issue. Not sure if that is your issue if you don't use XBMC, but basically XBMC was still running in the background and after it went to sleep it would bug out with that settings enabled and kill all video. I believe the setting was something like "Keep audio device active" but I'm not sure....

If you have/use XBMC try to force close it and then run other videos and see if it works then, if none of this applies then I have no idea :D

I am not running XBMC, the only side loaded app I have is the android settings app because it was about the only way I could get my harmony hub to sync, I will try uninstalling f it and see if that makes any difference..

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I don't know how long this app is going to last but it's amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011KT890W/

quote:

Mediahhh brings Free Live UK TV ( Freeview ) straight to your Desktop and Device! And it's completely free to use!

Currently only UK channels are available with more countries being added and updates coming soon.

Mediahhh allows you to stream 30+ channels including: BBC, ITV, E4, Sky News, 4Music plus many more.

Not sure what to watch? No problem.
Mediahhh provides a TV Guide for each channel for up to 7 days ahead.

It also has Food Network for some reason

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Why is only one of my fire sticks showing up when I click that link? I can't figure out how to get it to download to my other fire stick. It's the same one I've tried in vain to get the kodi icon to show up on.

edit: did a support chat with amazon, here's the solution in case anyone else runs into this....

Amazon: go to Settings > Applications > Manage All Installed Applications > Appstore> Clear Data.
Then, go to Settings > My Account > Sync Amazon Content.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 22, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PuTTY riot posted:

Why is only one of my fire sticks showing up when I click that link? I can't figure out how to get it to download to my other fire stick. It's the same one I've tried in vain to get the kodi icon to show up on.

If you go to the settings on the fire stick, under my account, if you click sync amazon content - it should pop up in your apps library. Kodi icon isn't going to appear anymore since they've removed it from the Amazon store.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you go to the settings on the fire stick, under my account, if you click sync amazon content - it should pop up in your apps library. Kodi icon isn't going to appear anymore since they've removed it from the Amazon store.

I should've refreshed before I edited my post, but I had tried this a few times and it didn't do the trick. I guess my appstore data got corrupted at some point. Sucks that I missed the boat on kodi on this device. Oh well.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

I should've refreshed before I edited my post, but I had tried this a few times and it didn't do the trick. I guess my appstore data got corrupted at some point. Sucks that I missed the boat on kodi on this device. Oh well.

you didnt miss the kodi boat, you can still sideload it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

KKKLIP ART posted:

you didnt miss the kodi boat, you can still sideload it.

Yeah it's been side loaded the whole time. I have the icon on my home screen or whatever on my living room fire stick. I could never get the icon to appear on the one in my bedroom that I just had issues with. It's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance. We mostly use kodi for kids shows in the living room anyway.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I love this little box, it runs Kodi 100% better than my old AppleTV 2. I may need to get one for my back room.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Regnevelc posted:

I love this little box, it runs Kodi 100% better than my old AppleTV 2. I may need to get one for my back room.
i sold my two apple tv 2s to buy 3 fire tvs. no regrats.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

adorai posted:

i sold my two apple tv 2s to buy 3 fire tvs. no regrats.

I'm going to be selling my ATV2 here on ebay shortly. I'm going to wait until the new Amazon Fire Stick comes out before I sell my ATV3 that's in my bedroom.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I sold my ATV2 on eBay for $140, which bought me a FireTV and two Sticks. :hellyeah:

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Are the Apple TV 2's still selling for a premium? Did you need to sell it with XBMC installed or did you just factory default it and put it up? Mine has been collecting dust since I received my Fire TV.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Legdiian posted:

Are the Apple TV 2's still selling for a premium? Did you need to sell it with XBMC installed or did you just factory default it and put it up? Mine has been collecting dust since I received my Fire TV.

They are. I advertised it as jailbroken with Kodi already installed, since that's why people buy them, or at least that's why I assume they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Legdiian posted:

Yup I sold mine about a year ago with Kodi installed for $190 really easily on eBay.

• Locked thread