Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Luceo posted:

So? It's their device to do with as they please.

Except the whole reason it's the price it is is because they make up their loss on the hardware by selling you Prime poo poo.

I mean, if you can't understand why Amazon would not want to give you money to get your content elsewhere, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Luceo posted:

They already do by supporting Netflix and Hulu Plus on the device. I can imagine many people picking up a Stick just for Netflix and never subscribing to Prime. I can't imagine the percentage of FireTV owners who root and hack the thing up to be anywhere near a significant fraction of the overall usebase to warrant directing your internal resources to block rooting and including a self-destruct device in the bootloader to prevent OS/bootloader downgrades. This poo poo is getting ridiculous.

Amazon doesn't have to imagine anything. They have the numbers.

I mean, either it's a conspiracy to irritate you or they have a business reason.

Hmm, which could it be?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Luceo posted:

God, you people are worse than the Mac threads. Apple can do no wrong, and apparently neither can Amazon!

No one here has said that it's great that Amazon does this. We're saying that's the way Amazon works and they work that way for not entirely arbitrary reasons and that they even give you a way around it if you really don't like it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Anyone using Google Play Music on the Fire TV (specifically the stick but I guess it's the same for the box)?

It looks like my options are allcast or rooting and installing the play music app.

Any better options?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Doesn't Play Music support casting to the Fire TV from your mobile phone?
I think I have seen the FTV in the list of available devices the last time I checked.
That would be pretty handy and do the trick, right?

It doesn't seem to. I don't even get the cast icon to show up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah that's the problem. It's not like right in the app. It's like they give you some weird looking framework and you have to go build something out of it. What is in the app is at best this huge dump of video add-ons that is too big to sift through, and you scan through it like "aren't these those lovely internet channels from like 10 years ago?" I don't know man, I feel like my WDTV had a more user friendly interface. It makes me feel like I'm doing work installing commandline stuff in Unix.

That's a legit problem and completely different from your originally stated problem "I don't know how to use or install addons".

But yes, the addon framework in XBMC is dumb and the quality of addons varies hugely.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

the UI is much cleaner.

In case you didn't realize, XBMC has 100 bajillion different skins to try.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd imagine the easy Prime streaming integration and the FreeTime service (where you can pay a few bucks a month for unlimited access to a bunch of kid apps, and put parental limits on time usage, etc) would outweigh the lack of Play Store access.

Yes to this. I still haven't bought one, but they also have this specifically for kids: http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Edition-Display-Wi-Fi-Kid-Proof/dp/B00LOR524M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Fire TV Stick supposed to be $24 on Amazon tomorrow if you're a Prime member.

• Locked thread