Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Three Olives posted:

The Fire TV is $84 right now, thinking I might pull the trigger.

I pulled the trigger on this, is there any cheap way to get my old harmony remote to control this or am I going to have to use 2 remotes/ shell out for the $100 Logitech hub?

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

CarlGustav posted:

You will have
- no external USB support
- no installation of apks from unknown sources
- no apps that require super user support
- no working google play store
- no alternative keyboards

you can still sideload many great apps... i sold my slow apple tv 2 with jailbreak and my apple tv 3 since the fire tv is far better than those two

i think it might be possible to downgrade to the last firmware ... check out the fore tv xda forums for more information

You don't need root for xbmc do you?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Also I am having a really weird issue with my FireTV but searching all over yields almost no results (I'm pretty bad at Googlin' though). The audio on my FireTV is extremely awful. I am no audiophile so it's not something innocuous. It sounds like a tin can and very noisy, and everything has a slight "mosquito" type noise to it (I realize how bad of a description this is). The weirdest thing is that this happens in both Plex and Hulu, but it is way less pronounced in XBMC on the FireTV. :psyduck:

I messed around with all of the audio settings (Dolby Digital on/off, all that type of stuff). It is just going to a regular plasma TV; nothing fancy. I am using HDMI only and not optical at all. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The only other thing I could think of was the FireTV intentionally making the sound lovely due to maybe a weak wi-fi signal or something but the image quality is perfect (not overly-compressed) so it makes no sense.

I am also having sound issues. My searching shows that there is a problem with surround sound and the FireTV. I am only able to get stereo sound (I think, my center channel and rear speakers are not outputting sound) with it. I am thinking of returning it because of this unless someone has some ideas that can fix this.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Elston Gunn posted:

This is probably related to a known bug with the audio firmware. Some people have had luck using the optical cable to get Dolby Digital working. The reason that XBMC sounds better is because it uses its own audio codecs which aren't broken, while Plex and Hulu use the onboard ones.

I didn't notice he said XBMC works fine, mine must be a different issue since XBMC does the same as all other audio sources.

Has anyone seen any solutions to this issue?

• Locked thread