Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I don't think Sabo will get demolished. I'd say he should actually be able to stand toe-to-toe with an admiral. The Four Emperors, Seven Warlords, and World Government are three balancing forces, while the Revolutionaries are an unknown. We just don't know where the Revolutionaries stand because they abstain from most conflicts. But I'd like to think Dragon, as the leader of his faction, is at least as strong as one of the Emperors. I'd also think the Revolutionaries' number two man is probably a lot stronger than Marco--especially now that he has Ace's devil fruit.

I know power levels are bullshit and One Piece match-ups are hard to predict, but it would be boring not to take guesses.

AshB fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I would be sort of ok if Sabo started doing some Fairy Tail Natsu things now that he's show he does some dragon attacks and has a fire fruit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AshB posted:

I don't think Sabo will get demolished. I'd say he should actually be able to stand toe-to-toe with an admiral. The Four Emperors, Seven Warlords, and World Government are three balancing forces, while the Revolutionaries are an unknown. We just don't know where the Revolutionaries stand because they abstain from most conflicts. But I'd like to think Dragon, as the leader of his faction, is at least as strong as one of the Emperors. I'd also think the Revolutionaries' number two man is probably a lot stronger than Marco--especially now that he has Ace's devil fruit.

I know power levels are bullshit and One Piece match-ups are hard to predict, but it would be boring not to take guesses.

I lean towards Kaidou=Whitebeard=post-time skip Blackbeard>Sabo with Fire Fruit=Admirals=Marco=Dragon=Shanks=Big Mom>Sabo without DF=Luffy=Law=Doflamingo=Jozu>most Vice Admirals myself.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
I am so glad that Franky vs Senor is gonna happen. There is never too much Franky screen time. I also love that Kyros keeps getting shown in these dramatic running shots, but whenever I see them I remember moments after that he's just hopping around and I really can't wait for the anime to reach this point to see that in action.

I almost audibly went "awww" when Rebecca hugged Viola and all the dwarves were hanging off of her, basically making it the most :3: group hug

Usopp had a single panel and no words in this chapter and was still great.

God, this arc is amazing.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I'd rather have Sabo disappear off the face of the planet because right now he's just being smug and too cool for you.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

I am so glad that Franky vs Senor is gonna happen. There is never too much Franky screen time.
Same, I didn't like the conclusion of their first fight so a rematch 1v1 style is going to be epic.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

We've barely gotten to see him as an adult, and I think he's pretty cool so far.

Idk his design and backstory are boring its Ace 2.0 but he's a revolutionary instead ooooh

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dastardly posted:

I'd rather have Sabo disappear off the face of the planet because right now he's just being smug and too cool for you.

Thats because its like when Ace was first introduced. Hes cooler and good looking and way stronger and looks all perfect but then you learn they have all the same weird habits like falling asleep while eating and poo poo.

We just havent gotten to Sabo's actual character yet. Right now hes just the ~cool guy~.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Dastardly posted:

He already did disappear and he came back more powerful than we could ever imagine :ohdear:

Given what we've seen, Sabo is pretty rad. I forgot a lot about him but isn't he the bastard son of a world noble?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Literally Kermit posted:

He already did disappear and he came back more powerful than we could ever imagine :ohdear:

Given what we've seen, Sabo is pretty rad. I forgot a lot about him but isn't he the bastard son of a world noble?

Thought his parents were vanilla nobles but it's been a while. Very fitting that he has Ace's fruit and while being a logia isn't as good as before, it's still pretty neat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sabo's mom and dad were nobles of the island country that Luffy and co. grew up on.

Sabo got his raft exploded by a visiting World Noble on the day he tried to make it to sea by himself.

Then Dragon picked him up and the rest is history.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Literally Kermit posted:

Legitimate son of a noble family of the World Government member nations. He just Siddharthad himself from the life of a scum sucking noble to that of a people's revolutionary.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

Thats because its like when Ace was first introduced. Hes cooler and good looking and way stronger and looks all perfect but then you learn they have all the same weird habits like falling asleep while eating and poo poo.

We just havent gotten to Sabo's actual character yet. Right now hes just the ~cool guy~.

You know, that's kinda weird. We've seen Sabo in the flashback, we've seen him fighting in the tournament, now he's got the fire fruit and... he's still not really anything more than "Ace but without the personality quirks". Like, at most we've seen how disillusioned he became with noble's and how they don't value other people's lives, and since then... nothing. Like, we don't really get to see how that revelation changed him. He's still kinda a blank slate.

Oda's usually better than that when it comes to giving character's something distinct to their personality, even if it's something as thin as Pica's "he's got a really high pitched voice and gets mad when people comment on that", or Baby 5's "has dependency issues and really terrible taste in men". And both of those took four pages, tops, to introduce and be given at least something fun about their personality. But Sabo... he's an alright guy I guess but he still feels really... generic.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The reason those characters have those things is because they're not expected to be seen for more than an arc. Generally Oda adds gimmicks to characters so they remain memorable and interesting, but have zero space to develop.

So yeah, I assume we'll just get to know Sabo more over time.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, that's kinda weird. We've seen Sabo in the flashback, we've seen him fighting in the tournament, now he's got the fire fruit and... he's still not really anything more than "Ace but without the personality quirks". Like, at most we've seen how disillusioned he became with noble's and how they don't value other people's lives, and since then... nothing. Like, we don't really get to see how that revelation changed him. He's still kinda a blank slate.

Oda's usually better than that when it comes to giving character's something distinct to their personality, even if it's something as thin as Pica's "he's got a really high pitched voice and gets mad when people comment on that", or Baby 5's "has dependency issues and really terrible taste in men". And both of those took four pages, tops, to introduce and be given at least something fun about their personality. But Sabo... he's an alright guy I guess but he still feels really... generic.

Hes built up as the generic badass so that when his weirdness is revealed it enhances the joke.

Like when ultra badass vice admiral of the marines, Garp the Hero is really just a big softy (in his own "Monkey D." way).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The first time we saw Ace proper he was buried facefirst in a a plate of food due to narcolepsy (which he inherited despite not actually being a blood relation of Garp.)

On the other hand, any quirky stuff about his personality was stripped away quickly. By the time he fought Blackbeard onwards he was pretty much 100% serious material.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

The first time we saw Ace proper he was buried facefirst in a a plate of food due to narcolepsy (which he inherited despite not actually being a blood relation of Garp.)

On the other hand, any quirky stuff about his personality was stripped away quickly. By the time he fought Blackbeard onwards he was pretty much 100% serious material.

Yeah, but by the time he fights Blackbeard he's wading neck deep into some of the most serious moments in One Piece, so it makes sense that he's focused. It'd kinda kill a lot of tension to have him doze off when confronting BB or when being led to his own execution.

I suppose the same applies to Sabo, we've only seen him in serious moments, but the stakes aren't as high so breaking the tension isn't as much of an issue.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
As usual, people in this thread are impatient as poo poo. Sabo will probably have some goofy moments when he interacts with the crew in less serious settings. Same with Jinbei.

Or Oda just really doesn't know what he's doing with this whole manga writing thing. I'm sure that's it.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
What are you guys wanting? Let's stop the entire arc so we can have a Sabo flashback and figure out what happened when his ship blew up onward so we can get a sense of his character and uniqueness? I think you're expecting too much from him when he shows up at a part of the arc that is entirely about fighting. You guys just don't like him fighting... Oda will expand on his character guaranteed, but we have Doflamingo bashing to do right now.

|Ziggy| fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 19, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

AshB posted:

As usual, people in this thread are impatient as poo poo. Sabo will probably have some goofy moments when he interacts with the crew in less serious settings. Same with Jinbei.

Or Oda just really doesn't know what he's doing with this whole manga writing thing. I'm sure that's it.

A month ago we were all pissed about Usopp taking so long to hit his usual character arc beats. Man we were just crazy wrong on that one.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

|Ziggy| posted:

What are you guys wanting? Let's stop the entire arc so we can have a Sabo flashback and figure out what happened when his ship blew up onward so we can get a sense of his character and uniqueness?

You say that like it hasn't happened a hundred times before.

That said, I'm okay with Sabo now, with the expectation that his character will expand later.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

|Ziggy| posted:

What are you guys wanting? Let's stop the entire arc so we can have a Sabo flashback and figure out what happened when his ship blew up onward so we can get a sense of his character and uniqueness? I think you're expecting too much from him when he shows up at a part of the arc that is entirely about fighting. You guys just don't like him fighting... Oda will expand on his character guaranteed, but we have Doflamingo bashing to do right now.

Yeah, I mean, do people really want Oda to divert into a flashback lasting 10 chapters at this point in time?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You say that like it hasn't happened a hundred times before.

Precisely, and lots of people hate it when shounen authors do so.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I want it to stop and have a ten chapter flashback to Noland and the dwarves because Noland rocks and so do they.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Soylentbits posted:

A month ago we were all pissed about Usopp taking so long to hit his usual character arc beats. Man we were just crazy wrong on that one.

Nope, Usopp's cowardice was overplayed even if the inevitable turn was great.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tolth posted:

Precisely, and lots of people hate it when shounen authors do so.

Not Oda, because they usually rock.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I want it to stop and have a ten chapter flashback to Noland and the dwarves because Noland rocks and so do they.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Mr. Maltose posted:

Every flashback from now on should be a Noland Flashback.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Just learned about this today. I assume that it was brought up all the way back during Skypeia, but I think it's neat all the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enel

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

|Ziggy| posted:

I wish Sabo were not in the story because his whole thing is contrived really. The less the better from here on out, though.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

tbp posted:

I wish Sabo were not in the story because his whole thing is contrived really. The less the better from here on out, though.

I imagine he'll be Luffy's introduction to his father, and then we can enjoy watching Dragon explain every deep dark secret of the World Government, just to have Luffy not give a flying gently caress.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I really want to see what Dragon's goofy quirks are. He's been such a mysterious, serious, and dangerous figure for so long I want to see what traits he shares with the rest of his family.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

tbp posted:

Yes, lest we forget how much you hate Sabo and mention it every chance you get. Personally, I hope the story features him a lot more and elaborates on his story when the time is right. Dressrosa is like the Alabasta of the New World, and it's funny how Sabo is sort of paralleling Ace's appearance there too. Going by that parallel, I think we'll get some very interesting background some time after this arc is over.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Comic posted:

I really want to see what Dragon's goofy quirks are. He's been such a mysterious, serious, and dangerous figure for so long I want to see what traits he shares with the rest of his family.

It'll probably turn out everything skips a generation and he's ALWAYS super serious.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Liar posted:

It'll probably turn out everything skips a generation and he's ALWAYS super serious.

Only if the inevitable party feast scene has Luffy and Dragon dancing on a table with sticks holding their mouths open like at the Enies Lobby celebration, and Dragon still has a serious expression.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I hope whenever the battle is all said and done that Bartolomeo gets to party like a maniac with his idols :3

Lucky bastard

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I think Dragon is goofy in his own right. It was probably Kuma who played the straight man to Dragon and Ivankov's antics early on. I would imagine he's more serious than Luffy at the very least, what with being the leader of the Revolutionaries and all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He makes terrible dad jokes.

or terrible Oda puns. All the ones he rejected.

either is good.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 21, 2014

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Even Jimbei has been shown to place inordinate importance on strategy names, so I think even a straight faced character like Dragon will have something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is that the Flying Dutchman?

Is that the goddamn Flying Dutchman?

E: You did it, Sanji! You found the home of the fish babes!

E2: Sanji having a massive nosebleed from a fish babe's tits has become a source of legitimate conflict. I love One Piece.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 22, 2014

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

E2: Sanji having a massive nosebleed from a fish babe's tits has become a source of legitimate conflict. I love One Piece.

You should have read the thread when that chapter came out, half the thread hated that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, the bit with Chopper cockblocking Brook's skull joke and the next panel just having him :negative:ing off to the side solidified Brook's place as second best Strawhat for me.

• Locked thread