Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
wow I forgot the series opened with Luffy bloodily stabbing himself in the face :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Do you guys ever do rereads of One Piece?
I'm actually rereading it right now.

The last time I paid any real attention to One Piece was...2009, maybe? I didn't really get into it, at the time. Nowadays though my tastes have changed enough that I wanna give the series another shot, which is what I'm doing.

Coming across a lot of good stuff I definitely didn't give enough credit to back in the day.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Do you guys ever do rereads of One Piece? I was just curious since I stopped reading this like right before Fishman Island (not sure why, I think I always liked One Piece tho it seemed a lil overrated to me, certainly the king of shounen for whatever that's worth though a lot of the super-dense pages bothered me with how it felt like it was all too cluttered) and felt like getting back into it since it looks like the stuff happening as of late is pretty great. I do rereads of Berserk all the time because it takes ages between chapters so I forget what happened and have to restart (plus it's just fun), but I've never tried with One Piece and it feels kind of daunting.
Would you guys recommend seeing if I can give it a go from the start and get back into things or just try to pick up right before Fishman? I'm more curious if anyone's tried rereading One Piece or if it's a common activity like it seems to be with like, Berserk, cuz I'm at a bit of an impasse. Would it take a million years or is it easier rereading shounen since the chapters go by more breezily (though I did just say I thought One Piece had a lot going on in each page)?
I can only imagine you read the scans, which for hundreds of chapters were both lovely quality and even worse translations, it's a much much better series with a proper translation like what viz puts out. Consider buying the omnibuses on amazon, it makes each volume cost only 3-4 bucks each, and the translations and jokes are much better.

I actually love that OP has so much going on all the time because you can pick out new things through multiple re-reads. I bought the entire series up to volume 55 a few years ago and read them a volume a day or so, it's pretty easy to breeze through a volume in a half hour or less. Good for toilet reading too if that's your thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, you definitely have a point there, I do just read the crappy scans. I imagine what feels cluttered to the eye in that formatting would just be a beautiful Where's Waldo type thing on a cleanly printed IRL manga page. I have to respect a man who puts this much detail and forethought into his fictional world though, that linked Doflamingo 1000 arrows thing blew my mind. Guess I'm in for a reread (especially because I barely remember a lot of these side characters, there's so many different pirate captains), thanks ya'll.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I highly suggest grabbing the first twelve or so Omnibuses. It'll run you about 100-120ish bucks but will get you the first 36 volumes, up to Water Seven. It might be a bit of an investment, but I feel for a series that you enjoy and have read quite a lot of, it's worth putting down at least a bit to support it, especially when it's had some trouble in the west compared to other shonen series largely in part due to 4kids fuckery. Though it's picking up the pace here, every bit of support helps imo. And if you get them from Amazon, you probably have Prime(who doesn't at this point) and so will ship for free.

It will also get you past the majority of the truly poo poo-quality scans. I don't remember which chapter has BISOROMI BEAR and TANJIAADO LOFULAMINGO-SAMA but I think they're between Skypiea and Water Seven. And of course, BINAMI THE DACHSUND is in the Jaya arc. As wonderful as they are, they're the mark of the shittiest of the scanlations.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Shoren posted:

I've re-read One Piece a couple times because the series has been in publication for so long and it's easy to forget things. That's doubly so for when Oda brings an old character back and you're left scratching your head wondering who it is. I've been toying with the idea of reading it all again now that Dressrosa is just about wrapped up. I'm thinking of checking out the project that's been coloring all the chapters, anyone know how far they've made it?

There's an official coloration that's apparently up to volume 72 and as far as I can tell it isn't being sold in English by Viz (though fan translations are out there). IMO it's done really well, I'd suggest looking at this gallery of the chapter cover pages and see if it's your cup of tea.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

I highly suggest grabbing the first twelve or so Omnibuses. It'll run you about 100-120ish bucks but will get you the first 36 volumes, up to Water Seven. It might be a bit of an investment, but I feel for a series that you enjoy and have read quite a lot of, it's worth putting down at least a bit to support it, especially when it's had some trouble in the west compared to other shonen series largely in part due to 4kids fuckery. Though it's picking up the pace here, every bit of support helps imo. And if you get them from Amazon, you probably have Prime(who doesn't at this point) and so will ship for free.

It will also get you past the majority of the truly poo poo-quality scans. I don't remember which chapter has BISOROMI BEAR and TANJIAADO LOFULAMINGO-SAMA but I think they're between Skypiea and Water Seven. And of course, BINAMI THE DACHSUND is in the Jaya arc. As wonderful as they are, they're the mark of the shittiest of the scanlations.

I think it's Volume 25?

I owned like 1 or 2 volumes of the series and I vaguely recall the chapter where Doflamingo makes two marines fight for his amusement.

EDIT: Yeah, it was the same volume where Tsuru came out. Doffy showed up the chapter before.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat :lol: I wanna party with Buggy

it's like the gathering of the juggalos but way way cleaner

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheFallenEvincar posted:

drat :lol: I wanna party with Buggy

it's like the gathering of the juggalos but way way cleaner

I don't think the guys of the ICP ever shot a Juggalo with a canon for making for of their stupid noses.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

on the other hand the viz omnibuses call their boat the Merry Go so gently caress these computers

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

tbp posted:

How come when akainu got hit with the sword and he said something like "oh that had Haki in it" he didn't actually get cut, or bleed

The true answer is probably that Oda still didn't have the concept of haki fleshed out. Like how nobody turned their limbs black to use haki during the war but everyone does post-timeskip.

I honestly feel that haki is the biggest mistake Oda introduced in the series, it's useful in that they don't have to do an elemental advantage gimmick to defeat every logia they see but it introduced many inconsistencies in his otherwise well established story. Like, it doesn't make sense big shots like Crocodile or Lucci couldn't use it when friggin' Tashigi can now.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Lucci didn't need to use it. He had his set of Rokushiki skills.
For Crocodile it wouldn't really make sense. Since his entire gimmick was turning intangible. Would hardening his body really help out there? I mean I can see some of his attacks, but they mostly relied on either draining the water from people or using blades and stuff which given the properties of sand were already sharp enough to begin with.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Lucci didn't need to use it. He had his set of Rokushiki skills.
For Crocodile it wouldn't really make sense. Since his entire gimmick was turning intangible. Would hardening his body really help out there? I mean I can see some of his attacks, but they mostly relied on either draining the water from people or using blades and stuff which given the properties of sand were already sharp enough to begin with.

In both cases, not being able to use haki means that those characters can't properly fight logia users, though. You can definitely come up with rationalizations for why those characters don't know how to use haki (Lucci was a flunky who probably only operated in the first half of the Grand Line so the government might not teach him and his team haki, Crocodile probably lost his ambition after being beaten by Whitebeard and hanging out in the first half of the Grand Line for years) but it's still kind of odd that neither of them can effectively fight logias, especially Crocodile.

That said I don't think the bits with Aokiji and Akainu seemingly being unaffected by haki-imbued attacks at Marineford was a mistake - by then I'm sure Oda had a good idea of what he was doing with haki. I think it's a sign that there's more to the relationship between haki and logia powers than we know.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
The Haki upgrades are like blanket boons, there's really not a single case where you'd rather not have them. And crocodiles fighting style makes no sense for any moderately strong opponent given what we saw when vergo took on smoker, who did the whole dispersal of his body thing. Vergo just punched the smoke, same way he would the sand if he was fighting crocodile. It makes the whole "I'm gonna take whitebeards head" thing even sillier, croc isn't on some of the stronger vice admiral level, nevermind the strongest man on earth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
A huge war with everyone fighting is a good way to stab someone in the back. or the front in whitebeards case

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Oh, drat. That was an incredible chapter. At least for me, the formation of the Strawhat Grand Fleet has made all the build-up, horrible pacing, and generally bad stuff completely worth it.

Hey guys, remember when so many of us bitched about how insignificant all of the side characters that got backstory were? Now, don't you feel insignificant for having thought that? If you haven't thought these things, then I don't know what to tell you.

So much to love here, but I digress. Reading this chapter was so loving beautiful for me, that I nearly bawled my eyes out. Just ended up tearing up at the edges of my eyes, which I'm totally okay with. Again, it was such a great resolution to the whole arc, and it just felt really satisfying, I feel. I mean, obviously, because I wouldn't have said it if I didn't believe it to be entirely true.

This chapter, like all chapters, might not be for everyone -- but it's really, really for the people it's for. Bad grammar? Yeah, but you got my point anyway, which I think was the whole point. Also, that could be said of most things, but I especially feel that way about OP. My opinion may as well be (or is):

"One Piece: It's not for everyone, but if it's for you, it's really for you, goddammit!"

Just how I feel about it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Fawf posted:

There's an official coloration that's apparently up to volume 72 and as far as I can tell it isn't being sold in English by Viz (though fan translations are out there). IMO it's done really well, I'd suggest looking at this gallery of the chapter cover pages and see if it's your cup of tea.

Oh, I didn't know there was an official version, that's awesome. I recall there being a fan coloring and the first I saw of it was the cover after Whitebeard's death where his coat was hung over his grave and the coat was colored in to look like it was a stone sculpture so it just looked silly. I'm gonna have to track the fan translations down then, thanks!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Oh, drat. That was an incredible chapter. At least for me, the formation of the Strawhat Grand Fleet has made all the build-up, horrible pacing, and generally bad stuff completely worth it.

Hey guys, remember when so many of us bitched about how insignificant all of the side characters that got backstory were? Now, don't you feel insignificant for having thought that? If you haven't thought these things, then I don't know what to tell you.

So much to love here, but I digress. Reading this chapter was so loving beautiful for me, that I nearly bawled my eyes out. Just ended up tearing up at the edges of my eyes, which I'm totally okay with. Again, it was such a great resolution to the whole arc, and it just felt really satisfying, I feel. I mean, obviously, because I wouldn't have said it if I didn't believe it to be entirely true.

This chapter, like all chapters, might not be for everyone -- but it's really, really for the people it's for. Bad grammar? Yeah, but you got my point anyway, which I think was the whole point. Also, that could be said of most things, but I especially feel that way about OP. My opinion may as well be (or is):

"One Piece: It's not for everyone, but if it's for you, it's really for you, goddammit!"

Think people only really bitched about Rebecca + her storyline and the slow pacing. Which none of that really addresses.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kild posted:

Think people only really bitched about Rebecca + her storyline and the slow pacing. Which none of that really addresses.

Yeah, I don't even mind Rebecca + Soldier/Kyros and think it was longwinded. It kind of suffers from the Fishman Island problem where it does the racism story that in and of itself would be good combined with the obligatory shonen post timeskip "Look at how much stronger the good guys have gotten than before" that stretches things out too long. Only this time with the tragedy of the Riku Family, Law's backstory, and the commanders of the fleet all getting screentime when only half of them are funny.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the only thing I liked about it is that Luffy never changed from only wanting a small crew.

Him being like, "wtf you don't need to pledge fealty to me we're friends now just lemme know if you need me and I'll be by" was cool.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I freaking love every one of those gladiators. Well except for Long arms guy. He didn't really get to do anything awesome. I for one will be freaking pumped if guys like Bartolomeo, Sai and Cabbage show up to bail the strawhats out when things get rough.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
whoa whoa whoa hold up

where the gently caress is Ucy

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ryaomon posted:

whoa whoa whoa hold up

Ucy is a working bull. Fighting Lion can't beat all that gladiator rear end by himself...

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

dordreff posted:

on the other hand the viz omnibuses call their boat the Merry Go so gently caress these computers

Why is this wrong? That's how they refer to boats in Japan, ie: Sunny Go.

Merry Go Round?

You might argue that 'Going Merry Go' is the full name because the infallible Japanese author wrote it in English, but 'Merry Go' is a perfectly acceptable shorthand that works better in English while still preserving the original pun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tbp posted:

The Haki upgrades are like blanket boons, there's really not a single case where you'd rather not have them. And crocodiles fighting style makes no sense for any moderately strong opponent given what we saw when vergo took on smoker, who did the whole dispersal of his body thing. Vergo just punched the smoke, same way he would the sand if he was fighting crocodile. It makes the whole "I'm gonna take whitebeards head" thing even sillier, croc isn't on some of the stronger vice admiral level, nevermind the strongest man on earth

Learning Haki has an opportunity cost. Time spent learning Haki is time not spent learning Rokushiki, or swordsmanship, or new uses for your Devil Fruit. As it was, Rob Lucci, for example, was probably stronger than the average Vice Admiral overall, despite not having Haki. The same is probably true of Franky at this point; he was even able to easily defeat a logia thanks to his suction ability.

I agree that Crocodile wasn't really all that strong, though. I think he got stronger in Impel Down, but still not enough to be talking so confidently about killing Whitebeard.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 18, 2015

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

F. Lobot posted:

Merry Go Round?

You might argue that 'Going Merry Go' is the full name because the infallible Japanese author wrote it in English, but 'Merry Go' is a perfectly acceptable shorthand that works better in English while still preserving the original pun.

I always preferred calling it the Merry Go because it makes more sense in English since you mentally extend it to Merry Go Round anyhow. Going Merry is just more of an Engrish term even if it is the "proper" name of the ship.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mulderman posted:

I freaking love every one of those gladiators. Well except for Long arms guy. He didn't really get to do anything awesome. I for one will be freaking pumped if guys like Bartolomeo, Sai and Cabbage show up to bail the strawhats out when things get rough.

Quoting for posterity so this guy feels really stupid when It turns out Ideo was behind the entire pirate-World Government war and ends up wiping out humanity so he can start it all over again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Chill

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it makes sense to me that a haki logia user is able to make themselves break into their element to avoid a haki attack meaning they still have a big advantage except when hugely mismatched like whitebeard slapping akainu around

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Brook should really have been called Davey Bones.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

The payoff could have happened without all the stuttering in pacing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's kind of weird when Luffy doesn't use his stretching ability in clear situations where he could make use of it, like when he wanted to scratch his nose in the stocks couldn't he have just stretched his fingers out? You're a rubber man, dude. Or I guess it's just his limbs and neck, but I mean his whole body is made of rubber, can't he stretch any part of it? And like, when he was climbing that snow mountain to get Sanji and Nami to safety couldn't he just have done what he does whenever he needs to climb somewhere, like extend his arms up and make the climb way easier? He just climbed it like a normal dude. Guess it's just a story thing and/or Luffy being pretty dumb.

speaking of rubber jfc dude

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 19, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ryaomon posted:

whoa whoa whoa hold up

Where did you think they got all the meat for the feast?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's kind of weird when Luffy doesn't use his stretching ability in clear situations where he could make use of it, like when he wanted to scratch his nose in the stocks couldn't he have just stretched his fingers out? You're a rubber man, dude. Or I guess it's just his limbs and neck, but I mean his whole body is made of rubber, can't he stretch any part of it? And like, when he was climbing that snow mountain to get Sanji and Nami to safety couldn't he just have done what he does whenever he needs to climb somewhere, like extend his arms up and make the climb way easier? He just climbed it like a normal dude. Guess it's just a story thing and/or Luffy being pretty dumb.

speaking of rubber jfc dude

Sanji told him that if he wasn't really super careful it'd kill Nami. So, being Luffy, he was super careful in the wrong way.

As to the previous talk of Crocodile not using Haki, where would his use of Haki been noticeably different in effect?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

F. Lobot posted:

Merry Go Round?

Shiliew

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't remember it snowing in alabasta but maybe that was a manga only thing

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

oddium posted:

i don't remember it snowing in alabasta but maybe that was a manga only thing

That's Drum Island where they got Chopper.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
uhhhhhh guys...you're still wearing your official B.W. merchandise and apparel

Your hat says B.W. dude. for gently caress's sake. Kinda kills Tashigi going "I HAVE LEARNED A LESSON ON JUSTICE. WE HAVE NO TIME TO HESITATE AND WAIT FOR PROOF, WE MUST JUDGE ON THE SPOT". Like yeah, I think it's probably the dudes with B.W. hats, tattoos, and jackets. :lol:

Unless she just massacred the official B.W. fanclub. :(

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Your hat says B.W. dude. for gently caress's sake. Kinda kills Tashigi going "I HAVE LEARNED A LESSON ON JUSTICE. WE HAVE NO TIME TO HESITATE AND WAIT FOR PROOF, WE MUST JUDGE ON THE SPOT". Like yeah, I think it's probably the dudes with B.W. hats, tattoos, and jackets. :lol:

That scene is kind of interesting in retrospect given that that is pretty close to being the first reason we are meant to think Akainu is a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well, his words aren't "you got any proof that we are members" but "you got any proof that they exist", so my take is that, as a secret society, there's no proof that BW even exists to begin with so their apparel means nothing and could just be a clothing brand.

• Locked thread