Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007
(Don't read this Waffleman; lots of spoilers.)

One thing that bothered me a lot more about Sanji than it should is that he fractured his leg against Vergo. On top of his character becoming super annoying, it made me feel like he wasn't even strong enough to cut it in the New World. An ambiguous stalemate with Vergo would've been better. It's also funny that Sanji's leading the Thousand Sunny to get away from Big Mom even though it's only been a couple days and his leg should still be broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

AshB posted:

(Don't read this Waffleman; lots of spoilers.)

One thing that bothered me a lot more about Sanji than it should is that he fractured his leg against Vergo. On top of his character becoming super annoying, it made me feel like he wasn't even strong enough to cut it in the New World. An ambiguous stalemate with Vergo would've been better. It's also funny that Sanji's leading the Thousand Sunny to get away from Big Mom even though it's only been a couple days and his leg should still be broken.

I recently rewatched that scene in the anime, and it had less of a vibe of 'Sanji hurt his leg in this fight, it must mean he's weak', and more of a vibe of 'Sanji's body was already beat to poo poo thanks to body-switching shenanigans, and he's still holding his own against Vergo, it must mean he's really tough'.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i kinda thought that point was originally made just to show sanji overcoming vergo later or whatever but apparently theres no vergo anymore so whelp

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, Vergo is framed as a super badass with super crazy Haki and Sanji still was more or less going toe to toe with him after body switch shenanigans got his body beat to poo poo. Besides, I'm sure Brook just sold Sanji on the restorative power of milk, so he was good to go by the time they reached Dressrosa. Plus he's got super cooking and Dr. Chopper to supplement his bone healing milk.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
We've not really had any "full crew facing off against powerful / equivalently powerful dudes" yet ala Eneis Lobby since the timeskip. Sort of a consequence of Fishman Island more being a display of how nuts they are compared to really strong dudes souped up on drugs, then a plot-heavy ark beginning that's still going. Only Luffy has really had a chance to shine against a really powerful opponent on his own.

Hopefully now that this ark is breaking down into its 1 on 1 fights we'll get more.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really want usopp to actually have a real 1v1 fight despite getting junked

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
soo, Fujitora summons meteors, talk about overkill :stare:. Looking forward to the fight against the fake Doflamingo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 751

Hmm I wonder who the cover arc is gonna be about?

Also Sabo is a stone cold killer, drat :stare:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I'm genuinely shocked Sabo's fight wasn't skipped over completely, only to be referenced later.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Chapter 751

Hmm I wonder who the cover arc is gonna be about?

Also Sabo is a stone cold killer, drat :stare:

Cover arc could be Jinbei?

And yeah Sabo is awesome, pretty crazy how Ace was the 2nd of the WB Pirates, Sabo is the 2nd in the Revolutionary Army and of course Luffy, he's gonna be the Pirate King.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

alkanphel posted:

Cover arc could be Jinbei?

And yeah Sabo is awesome, pretty crazy how Ace was the 2nd of the WB Pirates, Sabo is the 2nd in the Revolutionary Army and of course Luffy, he's gonna be the Pirate King.

Sounds like it might be one cover image per subject. This week is Jinbei, next week is someone else. Still this one image tells us a lot and really pumps me up.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?
So did Kelly lure Luffy and Law in there to trap them or did he genuinely think that it was a shortcut?

Kinda confused by that.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Why would Kelly say its a shortcut? Is he working for Doffy?

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

I want it to stop and have a ten chapter flashback to Noland and the dwarves because Noland rocks and so do they.

I'd be ok with this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Sabo shows some personality at last, and he's...smug? Or does Mangastream's translation just make him come across that way? Good fight, though. I predict the outcome will be a stalemate; fights between Admiral-level people can last several days.

I assumed the cover story was Surume.

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

Sub Harrison posted:

Why would Kelly say its a shortcut? Is he working for Doffy?

That's what I was saying! Kinda confusing, but I think that would be some convoluted scheming if so. I mean like AIZEN level scheming. Not sure if Doffy's up to that level.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
kelly wants to kill doffy instead of luffy, like the rest of the arena dudes

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesse James posted:

That's what I was saying! Kinda confusing, but I think that would be some convoluted scheming if so. I mean like AIZEN level scheming. Not sure if Doffy's up to that level.

No one could come up with that as a plan unless they actually understood Luffy and clearly no one on Mango's side understands Luffy.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

kelly wants to kill doffy instead of luffy, like the rest of the arena dudes

It really says something about Doflamingo that he's got a hundred new world powerhouses after his rear end right now, and yet he could barely give a gently caress.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gyges posted:

No one could come up with that as a plan unless they actually understood Luffy and clearly no one on Mango's side understands Luffy.

No one on Luffy's side understands Luffy's either.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Which is why Blackbeard is the greatest threat, because he's basically misanthropic Luffy!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Good chapter, the Sabo bits were kind of cool even, though mostly because I find Fujitora cool. I wonder if the cover arc is going to be Jimbei on his way towards the Strawhats, that'd be dope

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Zorak posted:

Good chapter, the Sabo bits were kind of cool even, though mostly because I find Fujitora cool. I wonder if the cover arc is going to be Jimbei on his way towards the Strawhats, that'd be dope

You don't think this arc's busy enough already?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zorak posted:

Claws to crack the conceited like an egg is pretty bad rear end, at least.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Liar posted:

You don't think this arc's busy enough already?

What if he just goes team up with Sanji to face down Big Mam's fleet?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I can't think of a more perfect person to have the fire fruit than a dude who uses dragon attacks. I can't wait for the inevitable back story on why Sabo couldn't help Ace.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Zorak posted:

What if he just goes team up with Sanji to face down Big Mam's fleet?

Seems like that'd only really work if he was officially stepping up as a member of the Straw Hats. Otherwise he's just bringing her wrath to Fishman Island.

Also it occurs to me that there's too much going when I outright plumb forgot that Big Mam was still an issue.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AshB posted:

I can't think of a more perfect person to have the fire fruit than a dude who uses dragon attacks. I can't wait for the inevitable back story on why Sabo couldn't help Ace.

Luffy's reaction to learning Ace was captured was that Ace had his own adventure and he could handle it. He only rushed to help when he learned he was gonna be executed soon, and only made it because he was nearby and hijacked a marine express current. Assuming Sabo reacted the same way, by the time he learned poo poo had got real, he was probably too far away to make it there in time.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Prison Warden posted:

Luffy's reaction to learning Ace was captured was that Ace had his own adventure and he could handle it. He only rushed to help when he learned he was gonna be executed soon, and only made it because he was nearby and hijacked a marine express current. Assuming Sabo reacted the same way, by the time he learned poo poo had got real, he was probably too far away to make it there in time.

Not only that, but one would tend to assume that White Beard could handle his own poo poo.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

AshB posted:

I can't think of a more perfect person to have the fire fruit than a dude who uses dragon attacks.

I've got a feeling that Oda intentionally planned it that way :D

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm not sure if Fujitora is a master of sarcasm or just kind of thick.

"Admiral, warn us before you drop a meteor!"

"Okay. Look out, everyone, it's a meteor."

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Sabo's Dragon attacks are so hardcore that the fire power almost feels like a secondary ability. He's got a kind of an Alex DeLarge vibe going on too, which makes me think he'd be pretty brutal with that pipe as well. Fuuuuck now I really want to see him and Luffy fight Akainu together :holy:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, the whole "Sanji, if you look at tits you'll die!" shtick is starting to piss me off. Shut up, Chopper.

Also Van Der Decken is a creepo.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, the whole "Sanji, if you look at tits you'll die!" shtick is starting to piss me off. Shut up, Chopper.

See? It's not just weekly readers who find that grating. My money's on the same sentiment during the Toy Factory chapters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

While this chapter was fine and all with the fighting, my favorite part was Luffy answering the phone. Hello! I'm Luffy! The guy that's gonna be the pirate king!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Terper posted:

While this chapter was fine and all with the fighting, my favorite part was Luffy answering the phone. Hello! I'm Luffy! The guy that's gonna be the pirate king!
I'm pretty sure he's said that every time he's answered the phone. On the way to Matineford from Impel Down, to Big Mom, and now this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terper posted:

I like that apparently Luffy is incapable of letting a phone ring more than a couple times without picking it up, whether he's supposed to or not. The only reason Sanji got Nami on the Seatrain was that Luffy happened to be outside when he called.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Terper posted:

In my head, he was saying it like he was answering a phone for a business.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Terper posted:

Yes! I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Never change, Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

In my head, he was saying it like he was answering a phone for a business.

This is Luffy, home of the Pirate King, how can I help you?

• Locked thread