Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh cool a bunch of new posts I wonder what ha-

God drat, just one dude being an obtuse moron

Love the moving goalposts too

"Where have the complaints been for the last 75 years? :smug:"

"Oh, there have been complaints for 40 years? Well that still leaves 30 years of non complaints, check and mate libtards :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Cole posted:

If it's not the case then where were people at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 77 years ago when the name originated? Nobody gave a poo poo for almost 75 years and only recently has it become an issue. Why?

"Thing People Care About," and, "Thing that is actually an issue" are not the same thing. See African-American Slavery 1776, Exploited Immigrant Labor 2014.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: Buuuuuuuuuuuuut that's a derail I don't want to make, so nevermind

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

"Thing People Care About," and, "Thing that is actually an issue" are not the same thing. See African-American Slavery 1776, Exploited Immigrant Labor 2014.

Slavery was both of those in 1776 though.

I mean, it's not like they sat down to declare independence and write the Constitution and decided slavery wasn't an issue. It was, quite literally and not at all figuratively, "we'll have slavery because right now is a terrible time for the civil war this is going to cause." Slave colonies were openly threatening to go back to English rule if they outlawed slavery (joke was on them though, the Empire outlawed slavery faster than the US).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sash! posted:

I mean, it's not like they sat down to declare independence and write the Constitution and decided slavery wasn't an issue. It was, quite literally and not at all figuratively, "we'll have slavery because right now is a terrible time for the civil war this is going to cause." Slave colonies were openly threatening to go back to English rule if they outlawed slavery (joke was on them though, the Empire outlawed slavery faster than the US).

Yeah a more accurate example is racism itself, because while one side was against slavery, neither side really did it because they though anything good about black people. Hell Lincoln himself was a white supremacist.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Sash! posted:

Hunh. You learn something new every day.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Sash! posted:

If you changed an Native American chief into a Gallic chieftain to keep the Chiefs name, aren't you just shifting the "making fun of" to a different ethnic group? Its so sticky and thorny.

The really vexing thing is that I try to think "what if someone named a team after something from my ethnic background" and I can't come up with a scenario I'd really be offended with. I wasn't completely on board with Notre Dame's black guy as a leprechaun but that's more because a leprechaun, by definition, has to be Irish. That's just an authenticity thing there. Plus he should be wearing red.

You're completely removing context of nearly 600 years worth of history of oppression of Native Americans. You, a member of the dominant culture, can't have something "taken" from you to be used mockingly by a minority culture and have it mean the same as a cultural appropriation in the other direction. The Eastern European/poor Irish time on the lower rungs (Note: never lowest, they were still above all non-white minorities) of American society was comparatively a blink of an eye in comparison to the exploitation, denigration, and concentrated efforts to wipe out (Both physically and culturally) the Native Americans, which happened literally from the arrival of the first European. I don't personally feel that "Chief" is offensive, though I can understand how it would be to people sensitive to it's use as a culturally-acceptable "title" for any individual Native American. It could mean a position of respect and admiration, just as Aunt (or auntie) could indicate a familial relation of love and appreciation, but when used derisively to dismiss the status of any member of an oppressed minority (as both terms were used), it takes on a darker connotation.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Oh wow two new pages of discussion did we get more news?

oh

faaaaaaaarrrrtttt

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lol "why didn't all these powerful native american groups raise a stir in the 40s or 50s?"

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I just don't get why gay marriage is such an issue today, 70 years ago gay people could not get married and you didn't hear people bitching about it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bruc posted:

I just don't get why gay marriage is such an issue today, 70 years ago gay people could not get married and you didn't hear people bitching about it.

Right? The world 70 years ago was just the the world today except men wore hats and women and colored knew their place. Thank you for opening our eyes, Cole.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Hey guys lets stop bitching about the lovely poster and just report him en masse so he'll go away. Cool.

I feel sorry for this school. People think this has some correlation to the debate over the name when it actually doesn't at all.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I know people are going to want this thread to be locked soon, and I just wanna say I've thought the thread should be locked since page one.

Let it be known that I've cared about the issues since the beginning

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

commy gun posted:

Hey guys lets stop bitching about the lovely poster and just report him en masse so he'll go away. Cool.

Eh, he's a dumbass who you guys spent the last two pages calling a dumbass, and it's dried up. Works for me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows the world didn't exist before January 7th, 1987.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GNU Order posted:

I know people are going to want this thread to be locked soon, and I just wanna say I've thought the thread should be locked since page one.

Let it be known that I've cared about the issues since the beginning

Yeah until that dumb argument it was almost entirely people saying "The Washington [insert lame joke]s!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I think on that note, until *something* actually happens, I'm going to lock this.

• Locked thread