Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Washington FC

FCDC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Kalli posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the original case against the name was filed in 1992, Washington lost, but won on appeal on a technicality in 1999, and then this most recent case was filed in 2006.

That's pretty impressively slow.

"The name is racist and offensive."
"But is it reeeaaaaaaaaaaaally?"
"Yes."
"But I mean, is it reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaally?"

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Washington John Wilkes Booths

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Make the team untitled like that Nas album

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Washington Senpais

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Fightin' Taliban

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Papal Conspiracy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The DC Supremacy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Washington School Shootings, for the most American of names

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Well that went faster than I thought. I don't think the son of Jack Kent Cooke would have been able to fight the battle. He would have done a better PR job though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Great White Hope posted:

Is there any reason he can't keep the logo trademarked? There's nothing remotely offensive about the logo, unless we want to make the argument "Anything resembling a human being is, by law, offensive".

Actually, from reading the Washington Post article, the logo itself is now unprotected as well!

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Snyder should take inspiration from his own heritage and call them the Washington Ovenfillers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is the most beautiful unexpected thing to wake up to

Me being Chris James, and the Patent Office possibly being the reason for Washington's football team changing its name at last

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hahahahahaa the PTO did something

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Actually, from reading the Washington Post article, the logo itself is now unprotected as well!

So that does mean that anything resembling a human being is offensive by law? That's gonna spell trouble for a lot of sports teams.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Great White Hope posted:

So that does mean that anything resembling a human being is offensive by law? That's gonna spell trouble for a lot of sports teams.

Please source your quotes

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So I assume the Redskins and Snyder are just going to file an appeal again right? Is this actually final? Where is TFFs lawyer crew

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Great White Hope posted:

haha

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Febreeze posted:

So I assume the Redskins and Snyder are just going to file an appeal again right? Is this actually final? Where is TFFs lawyer crew

Hello, in this case I believe Torts and Criminal Procedures come into play. There's going to be a lot of Admiralty Law and Injunctions.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mrit posted:

Please source your quotes

I'm basing it on 'how people work'. If the Redskins' logo, independent of the name, is deemed offensive, then people are going to complain about other ones.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
With Santana Moss on the team you'll probably want someone studied in Archaeological Relics as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Febreeze posted:

They'll file an appeal. Whether they lose that is debatable, but if so they'd probably take it to the Supreme Court because Snyder's the definition of a baby who can't Let It Go. The best result would be the Supreme Court not even hearing it, meaning he loses and his football team goes untrademarked the rest of his life while he still refuses to change the name and makes barely any money off merch.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
They also canceled the "Redskinettes".

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That word is disparaging to the English language.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Great White Hope posted:

I'm basing it on 'how people work'. If the Redskins' logo, independent of the name, is deemed offensive, then people are going to complain about other ones.

Suzan Harjo, has been quoted that the Redskins name is first on the hit list. Braves, Indians and Chiefs are all next.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Parlett316 posted:

Suzan Harjo, has been quoted that the Redskins name is first on the hit list. Braves, Indians and Chiefs are all next.

Hey, leave us out of this! We didn't do anything!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Here's a link to the cancellation document for anyone who wants to read 177 pages of legal poo poo:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92046185&pty=CAN&eno=199

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Parlett316 posted:

Blackhawks remain unscathed. Although - I think the Indians would be ok the sooner they retire Chief Wahoo, which they've already started phasing him out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think Chief Wahoo should be next.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

So if I'm reading this right, the original case against the name was filed in 1992, Washington lost, but won on appeal on a technicality in 1999, and then this most recent case was filed in 2006.

That's pretty impressively slow.

There probably would be more costly back-and-forth filings, though, if their reviewers weren't constantly underwater with work and depressingly stupid, and if their systems weren't an unusable clusterfuck of outmoded, overbuilt, lowest-bidder garbage.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's the money shot from the brief:

quote:

The recognition that this racial designation based on skin color is disparaging to Native Americans is also demonstrated by the near complete drop-off in usage of "redskins" as a reference to Native Americans beginning in the 1960's.

The record establishes that, at a minimum, approximately thirty percent of Native Americans found the term REDSKINS used in connection with respondent's services to be disparaging at all times including 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978 and 1990. Section 2(a) prohibits registration of matter that disparages a substantial composite, which need not be a majority, of the referenced group. Thirty percent is without doubt a substantial composite. To determine otherwise means it is acceptable to subject to disparagement 1 out of every 3 individuals, or as in this case approximately 626,095 out of 1,878,285 in 1990. There is nothing in the Trademark Act, which expressly prohibits registration of disparaging terms, or in its legislative history, to permit that level of disparagement of a group and, therefore, we find this showing of thirty percent to be more than substantial.

This just raises more questions. Is some polling company just cold calling people and asking if they find terms offensive?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Change their name to the Washington John Kerries and use the Patriots logo.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Parlett316 posted:

I would say that 'Redskins', being a slur and actually commenting on skin color, is the only one likely to get removed. Braves and Chiefs are just Native American-themed.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

Here's a link to the cancellation document for anyone who wants to read 177 pages of legal poo poo:

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92046185&pty=CAN&eno=199

77 are sources cited to be fair

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hello, in this case I believe Torts and Criminal Procedures come into play. There's going to be a lot of Admiralty Law and Injunctions.

Take to the sea!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Chiefs and Braves are fine, just ban any idiot wearing fake warpaint and regalia from coming in the stadium. Indians are borderline but that loving logo needs to get the gently caress out. Not sure about Blackhawks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kansas City Alex Smiths

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

I think Chief Wahoo should be next.

Over my dead body

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Chris James 2 posted:

They'll file an appeal. Whether they lose that is debatable, but if so they'd probably take it to the Supreme Court because Snyder's the definition of a baby who can't Let It Go. The best result would be the Supreme Court not even hearing it, meaning he loses and his football team goes untrademarked the rest of his life while he still refuses to change the name and makes barely any money off merch.

I'm pretty sure the end game is when Synder realizes renaming the team is a potential goldmine. Every fan will run out and by all new merch! Also he can get additional sponsors:

"Please welcome to the field your Washington Eat Fresh Football Team by Subway®"

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The majority notes that when Mr. Barnhart was asked whether the term
“darky” is derogatory, he said that “[d]epending on the context, yes.”232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm actually shocked that they didn't bother to trademark the team name until 1967.

• Locked thread