Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Washington Partisans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ehud posted:

I hate being friends with family members on Facebook. They keep sharing articles with titles like "OBUMMER USES EXECUTIVE VETO POWERS TO STRIP REDSKINS OF NAME"

Oh god mine too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

Washington Tomahawks.

Tomahawks has a nice sharp snap and still retains all the Indian connections.

Could get Raytheon on as a sponsor there too I bet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

this refers to people moving to take advantage of Southerners (:qq:) when in reality DC will simply eat them alive with terrible housing prices and career minded young professionals

It's a historical reference. Are you saying that Southerners can't hack it in DC or something?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sash! posted:

The only SEC logo I see on cars is Texas A&M, so probably?

Also, would you want to be have it rubbed in your face that the North won and then took Robert E. Lee's house to bury our Northern Dead at? Alexandria just got rid of its law that north-south running streets have to be named after Confederate generals! There's even talk of renaming Jefferson Davis Highway!

No I don't think any of that matters since it ended over a century before I was even born?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sash! posted:

But the Blackhawks aren't named after the guy. They're named after the 86th Infantry, where the Blackhawks founder had been a battalion commander.

I wasn't being very serious about it. But there aren't really a lot of Southerners around here for whatever reason, despite it being pretty THE SOUTH until the last 30 years or so.

I wasn't really either. That's fairly surprising. You'd think by the nature of the place the demographic would be fairly spread around the country.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cole posted:

That's the justification I was talking about.

I think that Blackhawks being named for what they are is defensible and justifiable as a name. Might not be the most PC of things in the end but it's a far cry from a direct racial slur like Redskins.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You might be running into a lot of Florida grads though and I couldn't blame them if they didn't want to announce their fan affiliation anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cole posted:

If it's not the case then where were people at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 77 years ago when the name originated? Nobody gave a poo poo for almost 75 years and only recently has it become an issue. Why?

Probably out hanging nigg- I mean African Americans.

Stop being dumb. Lots of people here thought the name was dumb but it didn't come up in TFF because it was just raging against something that wasn't going to happen. Kind of like getting excited about a Bucs winning season.

• Locked thread