Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Great White Hope posted:

So that does mean that anything resembling a human being is offensive by law? That's gonna spell trouble for a lot of sports teams.

Please source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Parlett316 posted:

Suzan Harjo, has been quoted that the Redskins name is first on the hit list. Braves, Indians and Chiefs are all next.

I would say that 'Redskins', being a slur and actually commenting on skin color, is the only one likely to get removed. Braves and Chiefs are just Native American-themed.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Obviously Snyder will just change it to The DC Redskins.

I get it! Washington is made to be the offensive term, not 'Redskin'! Original and hilarious!

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

How come the army doesn't get sued for naming all their helicopters after Indian tribes?

Who has gotten sued for naming a team after a tribe? I'm not familiar with the 'Redskins' tribe.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first amendment means you can't go to jail for saying bad things. It has nothing to with trademarking.

The modern day average person interpretation of the First Amendment is "You can say anything you want, even really racist stuff, and nobody can get mad at you."

• Locked thread