Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I really hope this sticks, because otherwise it would've been Dan Snyder slowly, deliberately tearing off a band-aid for years on end.

I honestly don't care what the name is changed to, I just want to see the team I love getting disparaged for their lovely play and undeserved media attention, not the nickname.

Washington Wizards is still a bad name though, please don't do a public vote for this one, that's how you get stuck with the Washington Wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Ussr posted:

From Reddit.

If that is true then I doubt Snyder will do anything.

I wonder if the NFL requires all teams to own the trademark of their team name though. Seems like that would be part of the deal of owning an NFL team.

Somehow I don't see courts ruling that the US patent office doesn't really matter. Yeah, it's harder to use a trademark if you don't enforce it, but I don't think that means that just by using a word for a product you can sue other people for using that word without going through the proper legal channels first.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

The Washington Worthless Metaposting.

Would be better if it was an audio drop of Snyder defending Donald Sterling instead.

Maybe a recording of him saying "look at all these beautiful red bodies" when meeting with the Onieda nation

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Doltos posted:

I really liked this idea:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/11458543/Washington-Redhawks-Brand-Identity-Proposal

Keeps the colors and tribute to the Native Americans the same, but just slightly alters the logo.

Bird teams can go to hell.

Really, as long as the name isn't stupid and the colors are kept I don't really care.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

TubeStank posted:

Washington's original name was Braves you dummy.

Edit: small correction. They were the Boston Braves first then adopted current racist name then moved to DC.

so what just cause a guy's wrong with every point he makes doesn't mean he isn't totally right!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

Would this be the first time the US givernment has decided to take something away from the redskins?

Andrew Jackson tried his damndest.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

It's been 8 pages and 20+ years of scrutiny on the name I think we've breached the law of diminishing returns y'all.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Raljon Redskins

Man, I popped in NFL 2K5 for nostalgia's sake a couple months back, and they say "RALJON MARYLAND" every time it's a Redskins home game. That's almost as embarrassing to the franchise as the name debate.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Luceo posted:

I think you have me confused with someone else, since I have no clue what you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure that thinking wearing a fedora while performing in marching band is cool is a bannable offence.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

e: whoopsie

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Made the mistake of looking at a couple reddit threads on the redskins sub. It's so bad over there there's posters openly praising Dan Snyder as a great owner for not backing down.

Jesus christ.

e:

quote:

Man I love Dan Snyder and his willingness to fight through all this crap more and more everyday. A name change will not happen under his ownership, period.

quote:

Dan has been nothing but a stellar owner for the past several years. He realized he needed to step back and hand the team over to professionals and he did so. I hold no grudge and look forward to the future.
apparently not actively loving with things for a couple years makes you a great owner.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 20, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Goddamnit Cooley, no.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I haven't been following this issue at all so bear with me, but have other Native American-named teams like the Braves and Cleveland Indians come under fire for their names, or been threatened with the loss of their respective patents? Or is Redskins deemed more offensive than those?

They've gotten a little heat (Cleveland more than the Braves, Blackhawks, or Chiefs) but not nearly as much as the Redskins. For good reason, aside from loving Chief Wahoo, but that's being downplayed because the Cleveland Indians aren't run by anyone as stubborn or stupid as Dan Snyder.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Chichevache posted:

No one wants a crippled alcoholic as a mascot.

No one said anything about Bernie Kosar??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

lol "why didn't all these powerful native american groups raise a stir in the 40s or 50s?"

• Locked thread