Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

GaussianCopula posted:

How does a franchise changing it's name because it relocated (although with about a 10 year delay) compare to changing the name of one of the oldest teams in the NFL that never changed it's name or city?

Washington's original name was Braves you dummy.

Edit: small correction. They were the Boston Braves first then adopted current racist name then moved to DC.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

And they were renamed Redskins because they played in Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox.

But that doesnt change the fact that the New Orleans Hornet's renaming is a totally different case.

Wrong. They were renamed that solely because of the baseball team that had the name Braves and Marshall didn't want his lesser known team to be confused with the baseball team. Do you know ANY history of Washington's team?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

shiksa posted:

so what just cause a guy's wrong with every point he makes doesn't mean he isn't totally right!

I really shouldn't be surprised that a random dude who hasn't posted in TFF much (if at all) has no knowledge of the franchise.

Wanvig posted:

Just read through the whole thread, and it's pretty funny to see how the echo chamber slowly goes from "gently caress YEAH GO PROGRESSIVES GO GOVERNMENT" to "well I guess nothing's going to change".

But nobody really will know the impact of the ruling in the short term. During the appeal the trademark will still stand, so we probably won't be seeing any real impact for a few years. This particular case took 8 years to see a ruling. If it's upheld then I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the rest of the owners push for a change because it's going to cost them profits as well due to the revenue sharing (if it's still the name then). The name has been contentious for decades and will continue to be as long as it's around. It's going to change sooner rather than later.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Kalman posted:

Well, the first case was initially bounced both on laches and on lack of evidence. It was appealed, court of appeals rules on laches and omitted the substantive issue since laches decided it, remanded, district decided purely on laches. So it's not quite as bleak as all that.

Then again, DDC is not the friendliest place for causes like this one.

Considering other trademark attempts featuring the word "redskins" have been rejected, including "Washington Redskins Cheerleaders," I have a feeling that the team will also lose the appeal: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/01/28/from-pork-rinds-to-cheerleaders-the-trademark-office-rejects-the-word-redskins/

Washington Redtails would actually be a way for them to honor Native Americans WRONG INFO, plus have cool historical connection and keep the color scheme.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 19, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

het posted:

My understanding was that Redtails was a reference to African American airmen in WWII, not Native Americans? Either way I think people's attempts to make the new name "honor" Native Americans are really misguided and the best strategy would be to abandon any reference to it. If the team aims to do something good to honor Native Americans, they can do it by following through with the charity they set up, not making them a mascot.

Whoops, yeah, you're right. I had seen a couple of mockups that had alluded to that, so they were wrong with that aspect.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

swickles posted:

The only real way to do it would be what FSU did with the Seminoles, where they license the name (which is a specific tribe and not a slur or a general term like Indians) and also do a lot for awareness and philanthropy. FSU tries (and fails) to crack down on the stereotypical stuff like the tomahawk chop. Washington could do that if they really want to keep the theme, they just need to find a willing tribe.

Even that's...less than ideal, though: http://www.thenation.com/blog/177800/florida-state-seminoles-champions-racist-mascots

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Febreeze posted:

While I do think they might actually uphold today's ruling, the question is how long will the appeal last anyway? It took so long to get this far, how long do we have to wait for true victory? If it happens?

Unless they found a way to get this case to the front of the line it'll be a couple of years.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cole posted:

I didn't even know Redskins was a racial slur until people suddenly started getting butt hurt by it 80+ years after it originated.

So basically if you want to break it down: redskins wasn't racist until you made it that way. The world had a GREAT chance to change peoples perception of the word but instead they decided to have hurt feelings.

After 80 years of not saying poo poo.

What changed so suddenly?

You do know that Native Americans have been trying to get the name changed since the 1970's, right? Just because you didn't know it was a slur doesn't mean that it's not a slur, or that tit hasn't been a problem for quite some time. The name was never meant to honor Native Americans as Snyder has said. The change from "Braves" was purely a business move from Noted Huge Racist George Preston Marshall.

EDIT: It's wikipedia, but seeing as how you have zero knowledge of how this came about...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 29, 2014

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cole posted:

So basically if someone is ignorant you will continue to let them be ignorant instead of answering their question and helping them understand, which basically perpetuates an endless cycle of racism?

Or do you just not have an answer.

No, you're being willfully obtuse. Do you really see no difference between an NFL team using "Redskins" for their name and mascot, including at one time a fight song that had the following lyrics:

Scalp 'em, swamp 'um
We will take 'um big score
Read 'um, Weep 'um, touchdown
We want heap more

and a small, Native American-run high school? Further, do you not think that changing the highest profile usage of the name "Redskins" wouldn't cause similar names to change?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cole posted:

So racism is ok if it isn't on a national scale. Gotcha.

And this is what I meant by you being willfully obtuse.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cole posted:

White people didn't give a poo poo until like last Tuesday it seems.

Again, just because you aren't paying attention doesn't mean that it wasn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cole posted:

Yes it is. Go read e/n.

:laffo: Ah yes society changing and evolving to not use a minority group that had genocide committed against as a mascot is such a terrible and life-altering move :thumbsup:

• Locked thread