Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Countdown to Cafe Press Redskins shirt empires being built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The trademark was canceled because it was offensive "at the time it was registered" so hopefully Dan submitted a new request before someone else does.

You really think they're going to find that it's not offensive now?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Frackie Robinson posted:

I don't think this forces anything. If anything it kind of forces Snyder into keeping it, or else it makes it look like he cares more about t shirt sales than allegations of racism. I mean I know he's incapable of shame and all, but still.

When he has to sell T-shirts for $10-$15 to compete with all the dudes selling them outside the stadium, he won't care what it looks like, he'll care about the fact he's losing millions per year.

quote:

He's #1 an rear end in a top hat who is used to getting his way, always, and #2 a tightwad who doesn't want to pay to have millions of dollars in redskins stuff thrown out including pens and clipboards.

If and when they change the name, there's no way they won't be able to sell the rest of the stuff as "vintage."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Great White Hope posted:

Is there any reason he can't keep the logo trademarked? There's nothing remotely offensive about the logo, unless we want to make the argument "Anything resembling a human being is, by law, offensive".

I suppose so, but stylized city/team shirts and hats without logos also sell pretty well.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Frackie Robinson posted:

If they do have to make a change they should just call themselves "Washington" and stick with a generic W logo, that way the fans can just call them what they want.

Washington FC

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Great White Hope posted:

Is there any reason he can't keep the logo trademarked? There's nothing remotely offensive about the logo, unless we want to make the argument "Anything resembling a human being is, by law, offensive".

Actually, from reading the Washington Post article, the logo itself is now unprotected as well!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I think Chief Wahoo should be next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Begby posted:

Reading some of the comments in newspapers articles about this sorta astounds me. I don't understand why people can't see a problem with the name 'Redskins', why can't you understand that this is very offensive to a race of people.

Walk into a crowded bar on the res as a caucasian, or a traditional pow-wow, and say "Whats up redskins?". You are going to get your rear end kicked simple as that. Just like if you walked into a bar on Michigan avenue in Detroit and said "Whats up niggers?". Its because people take those names as deeply racially offensive.

Chiefs I can get being offensive too, that brings up stereotypes, just like if you had a team called jungle warriors and your mascot was a dude in blackface with a spear.

I can see however people not necessarily minding the name blackhawks and native americans being proud of that in some instances, as that I believe is referring to the indians that fought in the black hawk war and as a symbol of resistance. I can also see how the native americans don't seem to take offense (at least that I know of, and I am native american) at army helicopters being named after tribes such as the Apache or Comanche as those names seem to invoke pride.

Most white people will never go to a reservation, and most know very few (if any) people who identify as Native American. It's easy to rationalize the repression of a group whom you never see and have no power over you.

• Locked thread