Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

axeil posted:

So I was talking with a friend about this last night and she said she wasn't really sure why the patent office was able to invalidate the trademark. Her argument was that invalidating it runs afoul of the First Ammendment. Does anyone have any more detailed legal info about the legal validity of removing the trademark? I tried to read the decision but I'm not a lawyer and it just confused me.

Essentially, why is the law banning the trademark of slurs constitutionally okay?

The first amendment means you can't go to jail for saying bad things. It has nothing to with trademarking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GNU Order posted:

I know people are going to want this thread to be locked soon, and I just wanna say I've thought the thread should be locked since page one.

Let it be known that I've cared about the issues since the beginning

Yeah until that dumb argument it was almost entirely people saying "The Washington [insert lame joke]s!"

• Locked thread