Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Well that went faster than I thought. I don't think the son of Jack Kent Cooke would have been able to fight the battle. He would have done a better PR job though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Great White Hope posted:

I'm basing it on 'how people work'. If the Redskins' logo, independent of the name, is deemed offensive, then people are going to complain about other ones.

Suzan Harjo, has been quoted that the Redskins name is first on the hit list. Braves, Indians and Chiefs are all next.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Mrit posted:

I would say that 'Redskins', being a slur and actually commenting on skin color, is the only one likely to get removed. Braves and Chiefs are just Native American-themed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2014/05/04/redskins-mascot-nickname-indians-wahoo-chiefs-blackhawks-braves/8705159/

quote:

National pressure has been less on the Indians, Braves, Blackhawks and Chiefs. Obama and Reid didn't mention them. But the National Congress of American Indians, which bills itself as the nation's most representative American Indian and Alaska Native advocacy organization, has long called for the abolition of all such team names in pro sports.
"I say they're all equally offensive," Blackhorse said. "They all promote stereotypes of native people for profit. And that's not right."

It's coming, 10 years after the Redskins name change their will only be Vikings and Irish left.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Bunk Rogers posted:

Ya, the Skins aren't so good with that. Just look at the mess with our theme song and the loving Cowboys.

We helped spawn the Cowboys. Another crime against humanity.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Great White Hope posted:

Well, I don't know what the Chiefs' origin is, but the Blackhawks honor a local thing, and local team names are the best ones.

Blackhawks and Seminoles will last due to the local affiliations. What will the other teams do? Pay off the larger councils? The Redskins have already been accused of that.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Mrit posted:

I get it! Washington is made to be the offensive term, not 'Redskin'! Original and hilarious!

You didn't see the multiple Washington Bullets posts?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

het posted:

The Washington Clipse (VA beach is closer to DC than charlotte, I'm claiming 'em)

Ironic, the same same place I'm makin' figures at
That there's the same land they used to hang niggas at, in Virginia...

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

swickles posted:

I think it would be cool for the NFL to work out a deal where the incoming President (or his massive committee) gets to decide what the team name will be. It has the added benefit of getting to sell a poo poo ton of new merchandise every 4-8 years.

Eh gently caress that I don't want some carpet bagget renaming my team.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Bellmaker posted:

Washington Warthogs just sounds better.

A hog name lets them keep the cross-dressing pig people too :colbert:

Those dudes retired. Some other bros were dressed up and called themselves Art Monks. It sucked.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

The timeframe that would be realistic for a name change is when the FedEx Field lease is up and a move back to the site of RFK is realistic. The federal government will make it a priority to change.

But they would be back in they District hurray

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Burger Trench posted:

Hey guys, you know what would be funny? If Dan Snyder renamed the team the Washington... SNYDERS! Then he could see how it feels to be part of the name of a prejudiced team. :twisted: Or what about, the Washington Bad Free Agency Contracts?? Seems like he's always making bad decisions in free agency! Maybe something about the government... Washington Liars anyone? Or maybe he should just call it the Washington RG3s. Heaven knows Robert's ego is big enough!

Anyone else have any more funny suggestions for what the Redskins could be renamed to? :xd:

Boom

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Sash! posted:

I don't know why people get so wound up over that.

It's 10 miles from the capital but it feels like it's in the middle of nowhere. Having a parking pass makes it less of a lovely experience though.

Going to Eagles, Ravens and Steelers games it was weird to be able to go to a bar, have some beer and then go walk to the stadium.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Mrit posted:

Who has gotten sued for naming a team after a tribe? I'm not familiar with the 'Redskins' tribe.

Did anyone read the Mornings Star institutes testimony that brought this back up? They are against all Indian stereotypes, it's not about tribes it's about the fact that they do not want to be a mascot.

http://www.indian.senate.gov/sites/default/files/upload/files/Suzan-Harjo-testimony.pdf

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Volkerball posted:

That's a lot more controversial than just open and shut "Redskin" though even among native american communities. I doubt you'll see the Chiefs name getting changed in your lifetime.

They will all go once the Redskin name falls because they will have more and more public support.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Also the word Chief doesn't have poo poo to do with Native Americans unless the team specifically starts attaching Native imagery to it, which they have done. Chief can just as easily be a Celtic, Germanic, or West African leader. That is one reason most of us on TFF don't find it offensive and people who compare it to the motherfuckingRedskinsareyoufuckingkiddingme are being disingenuous.

It's not up to you to decide what is or is not offensive to a group of people.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/06/18/amanda-blackhorse-washington-nfl/10830269/

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/08/one-of-the-plaintiffs-explains-claim-against-redskins-trademark/

I'm not comparing the two, the people who are offended are.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

het posted:

I was interpreting it as a play on the running joke in DC that nobody in DC is actually from DC, they all moved here for career reasons

loving carpetbaggers

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Cole posted:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/06/26/school-board-of-majority-native-american-district-votes-to-keep-redskins/

First google result... You know, what you suggested I do. There are plenty of other results on Google as well.

http://cronkitenewsonline.com/2013/05/in-debate-over-redskins-name-is-the-r-word-for-racism-or-respect/

These Native American children need more education Cole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Tavarin posted:

Those two sentences pretty much answer all of Cole's questions.

Harjo's group wants ban all Native iconography from sports. But we've been over that in this thread.

• Locked thread