Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Cole posted:

No the majority of it is just white people with too much white guilt.

Holy poo poo you are an idiot. Just read the end of this article. It's offensive and it's been seen as offensive for many years.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/06/story-behind-washington-redskins-name

quote:

The judges had to be a bit more thorough, however, and in ruling the that Redskins name is indeed derogatory they cited: (a) the fact that in virtually all English-language dictionaries the word is labeled “often offensive,” “often disparaging,” “contemptuous,” or, at the very least, “not the preferred term” (thank you, O.E.D.); (b) the fact that the term has virtually disappeared from newspapers and other media outside references to football; and (c) the fact that prominent Native American organizations and a sizeable proportion of individual Native Americans find the term offensive.

To my taste, that last point is given an appropriate exclamation point by a remarkable letter cited in the decision, written in 1972 by a Native American, Billy Kevin Gover, to Edward Bennett Williams, then the team’s owner (punctuation slightly irregular):

If you think you are preserving our culture or your history [by retaining the name Redksins], then may I suggest a change? To live up to your name, your team would field only two men to the opponents eleven. Your player’s wives would be required to face the men of the opposing team. After having lost every game in good faith, you would be requited to remain in RKF stadium’s end zone for the rest of your life living off what the other teams had left you. (Which wouldn’t be much.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Cole posted:

Since the 70s. That's still over 30 years since the name originated. And in every article I read about it, it's pretty much one or two native Americans that are bothered, but a lot of them don't give a poo poo. There are Native American high schools called the redskins. Why don't we take issue with those too?

It was happening as far back as the '40s, but there was a little more focus on the fact that the Redskins and owner George Preston Marshall refused to integrate the team until they were basically forced to by the Kennedy administration in the early '60s.

quote:

According to one scholar, the campaign against Indian team names can be traced to the 1940s, when the National Congress of American Indians began to fight unflattering stereotypes of Indians across the culture.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

quote:

Harjo said the Red Mesa School District’s acceptance of the term is “the exception, not the rule.” Although there is a difference between calling yourself a name and being called a name from the outside, American Indian use of the word does not “sterilize” it, she said.

Those two sentences pretty much answer all of Cole's questions.

• Locked thread