Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Do any of the cards have mechanics that, for whatever reason, couldn't be duplicated for whatever reason in a real-life version of the game? I always found that sort of thing interesting.

That said, I'd love to play this, but my experience with Hearthstone and MTGO tells me that I am extraordinarily rubbish at building or drafting decks, which is I guess half the drat game. So I might have to pass, unless something here makes deckbuilding conceptually easier. :smith:

Both players set up their turns at the same time without knowing what the other is doing and therefor have to predict what the other player is doing. Then actions all resolve in the order they set up the turns.

Essentially this might be replicated in real life versions by setting up a dungeon master paper wall but there is still the problem of ability and attack order when the turns are done. So really no there is no way to even play the base game in real life due to the main mechanic of how the game is played. Unless you think you can trust your opponent to have done exactly what he actually did and not alter it after he sees your board revealed.

Something as simple as a kill spell that hits only the characters on the battlefield and when the turn is revealed that character was moved to support and the player tells you he was targeting something that is now in the battlefield instead of what he was actually shooting at.

We also have a fuckton of resource, health and morale counters as well as many cards that involve random targeting and build up counters. The game played without computer assists would be an insane mess of lying and tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Btw add me IW goons, I don't play much at the moment but will a lot more over christmas.

IGN: summerloud

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Drinkfist posted:

Both players set up their turns at the same time without knowing what the other is doing and therefor have to predict what the other player is doing. Then actions all resolve in the order they set up the turns.

Essentially this might be replicated in real life versions by setting up a dungeon master paper wall but there is still the problem of ability and attack order when the turns are done. So really no there is no way to even play the base game in real life due to the main mechanic of how the game is played. Unless you think you can trust your opponent to have done exactly what he actually did and not alter it after he sees your board revealed.

Something as simple as a kill spell that hits only the characters on the battlefield and when the turn is revealed that character was moved to support and the player tells you he was targeting something that is now in the battlefield instead of what he was actually shooting at.

We also have a fuckton of resource, health and morale counters as well as many cards that involve random targeting and build up counters. The game played without computer assists would be an insane mess of lying and tracking.

Oh, I didn't realize it was simultaneous action. I should read OPs more carefully. Is there a time limit on turns?

Maybe I'll give this a look tonight. Can't possibly be worse at it than I am at Hearthstone or MTGO.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, I didn't realize it was simultaneous action. I should read OPs more carefully. Is there a time limit on turns?

Maybe I'll give this a look tonight. Can't possibly be worse at it than I am at Hearthstone or MTGO.

There's 5 or so pre-made decks you can freely use. Not all of them are winners, but they rotate weekly. The one called Death Trap is a pretty brutal, control deck that wipes the board every few turns. A lot of people use it instead of their own stuff.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 11, 2014

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

They give you about a min thirty limit if you both don't click the ready button.

Also something else I totally forgot. All the cards have animated art. Unless you attend Hogwarts you are not gonna see that in your real live card games.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 11, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Animated yobo is required, since you can get that title in the game.

I am Grithok, Who Nobody Likes since I destroy people through morale.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This game looks fun, I'll play with when I get back

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
Oh hey we have a thread for this now (again?). I'll reinstall it after finals, but I'll chime in to say every faction's deck have their own gimmick theme and the Angels' gimmick is that they are basically Slivers from MtG.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Oh hey we have a thread for this now (again?). I'll reinstall it after finals, but I'll chime in to say every faction's deck have their own gimmick theme and the Angels' gimmick is that they are basically Slivers from MtG.

The new set launches today in a few hours. You can pre order the boosters right now still and get the silver border cards and all the preorder milestone perks.

Also Swarmers are the Slivers knock off, not the Angels. The Overseers (Angels) are more about ascension procs and flying. They can really get out of control with mass numbers of weenies too.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I like this game a lot I just wish there was some way to guarantee you don't get forced into 3 factions in draft. I'll take garbage for my second commander if it means I'm not splitting into 3 different card pools but sometimes you aren't offered even that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Drinkfist posted:

The new set launches today in a few hours. You can pre order the boosters right now still and get the silver border cards and all the preorder milestone perks.

Also Swarmers are the Slivers knock off, not the Angels. The Overseers (Angels) are more about ascension procs and flying. They can really get out of control with mass numbers of weenies too.

Are they? Because Angels have a ton of tribal and Sliver-esque mechanics (give all Angels +x while this Angel is in play/Ascended, poo poo out angel tokens, etc). Makes sense for Swarmers to be that analog, though (I didn't play a lot of Swarmers. Or MtG.)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The angels are nothing close to slivers. The swarmers are basically slivers.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Slivers function as follows

There is a few basic garbage low health creatures with sliver types.
Each color gets one maybe two mono colored slivers that give all slivers a gimmick.
Create a Multi colored deck and loving zerg rush with buffed slivers.

The problem in MtG was that there was no way to guarantee that you got the sliver that made all your other slivers function. In Infinity Wars the Swarmers that function like slivers can be garenteed due to setting them as commanders. Thus sliver decks work much better here in Infinity Wars over MtG as well as the gimmick abilities are far more zainy with things like Infect and explosive swarmers.

Granted that there is a whole bunch of buff angel types in Overseers but not any more than the other types like Demon, Beast and artificial. Swarmers get a fuckton of creature type buffs.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Do any of the cards have mechanics that, for whatever reason, couldn't be duplicated in a real-life version of the game? I always found that sort of thing interesting.

That said, I'd love to play this, but my experience with Hearthstone and MTGO tells me that I am extraordinarily rubbish at building or drafting decks, which is I guess half the drat game. So I might have to pass, unless something here makes deckbuilding conceptually easier. :smith:

I can't get away from this question.

You can also patch the cards with fixes and changes.

What does that put us at?

- Mechanics of the game fundamentally cant be played in real life due to how turns and ability orders are handled.
- Card pictures move with wizard magic
- Cards can be patched

I will probably think of something else to pile on to this.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

This really is a cool somewhat unique card game, and for the most part I've enjoyed it more than the other digital alternatives. Once/if it hits iOS or whatever tablet I'll probably get right back into it in a big way.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

I might ask why Data would want to taste a desert, but I think a more pressing question is, why are there Star Trek cards in this?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

MrBims posted:

I might ask why Data would want to taste a desert, but I think a more pressing question is, why are there Star Trek cards in this?

So you can watch Picard beat up a bunch of zomborgs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Star trek people are bad at advertising, I think, and did a direct plug in.

http://www.startrek.com/article/the-next-generation-coming-to-infinity-wars

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrBims posted:

So you can have an army of Klingon warriors.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

MrBims posted:

Because Star Trek die hard fans and very-into-chess enthusiasts are more or less the entirety of the playerbase and target demographic.

I played this on and off since they allowed people to and would recommend it to any TCG fan for sure. Just couldn't stick with it because I dont like TCGs too much.

Surprising amount of cheating for such a small indie game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

What cheating?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

What?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Don't listen to this loving idiot. You can't cheat a loving PC card game without it being stupid obvious. If anything something loving wonky occurred and you ran into a bug or you didn't understand what the hell happened.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This also has the friend invite system.

You enter a code and the guy who invites you gets money if you spend money. That is kinda lovely.

It also has a hidden master and apprentice menu in the options that gives you free cards per the day if you play with friends.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Because Star Trek die hard fans and very-into-chess enthusiasts are more or less the entirety of the playerbase and target demographic.

That's probably me out of this game then, I am viciously bad at chess and any other form of strategy game, and am wholly indifferent to star trek :v:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is ok, no one actually knows what the hell he is talking about in that entire post.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

The star trek thing is some small card set that isn't even legal for ladder play and I don't see how this game resembles chess in any way shape or form. The simultaneous turns make reading your opponent such an important part of the game that a major part of getting good is the ability to pick up any shreds of information you can from what your opponent plays.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly just by doing every campaign mission and tutorial and poo poo you end up with enough cards to make a variety of decent enough decks. This ain't like Hex or anything. I played the poo poo out of this a few months ago, but my will to play got drained by endless spam of Overseer decks with little variation to them. Hopefully the new faction will shake things up enough that I won't see Lilariah in the command zone in half the games I play.

They're not even THAT hard to fight against, but it gets so goddamn boring fighting the same poo poo all the time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

It is ok, no one actually knows what the hell he is talking about in that entire post.

Haha, fair point.

I'll give the game a go but I can safely say I'll suck at it if it's particularly reliant on reading an opponent. That's something my few years playing texas hold 'em tournaments (and losing most) has proven completely :v:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

That's probably me out of this game then, I am viciously bad at chess and any other form of strategy game, and am wholly indifferent to star trek :v:

Good then get the gently caress out of here. I bet you couldn't hack it in this hardcore world anyway. You are also stupid and smell funny.

Ciaphas posted:

Haha, fair point.

I'll give the game a go but I can safely say I'll suck at it if it's particularly reliant on reading an opponent. That's something my few years playing texas hold 'em tournaments (and losing most) has proven completely :v:

Good to have you with us!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've played the tutorial, the intermediate academy, and the angel campaign and this game is real neat.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Posting to mention I got 11 wins on rift :getin:

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

turboraton posted:

Posting to mention I got 11 wins on rift :getin:

That's another cool thing about this game; it only requires you to win like 4-5 games to make back your buyin for rift runs (their term for draft mode). Also, after you finish a draft run you have the option to buy the deck you used, with a discount based on how many wins you had with it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You can open the new pack now and oh boy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I found my game changer

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

I'm kind of sad that Ethereal Fusion doesn't give you some crazy looking new card. It just uses the first picked card's graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

How do you play The Calamity in Death Trap? There are no cards that give you bonus to resources and the 9 cost thing in the trading post doesn't seem to push you over 10.

• Locked thread