Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I really am starting to detest those weekly decks. loving shitlords are rocking them in ranked and they totally lack the ability to play the core game let alone some gimmick deck. I can't tell you how many times I have blatantly withdrawn all my forces to the support zone to do a mass death after the first time I did the fake out and it didn't take. Pull that poo poo with better players and you get much better reactions and awareness. The weekly decks are just packed full of really annoying poo poo but the decks are overall decent. My beef is with good decks being played by people whos playstyles don't match them essentially putting their rear end on some crutch for their lack of imagination.

You don't need all the cards in the game. Just make a deck that fits what the gently caress you do when you play. I for instance am super loving aggressive and my decks all reflect that. It freaks me out when I see weekly decks with like triple flame dawn and the player is keeping people in the support zone all scared and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Drinkfist posted:

I really am starting to detest those weekly decks. loving shitlords are rocking them in ranked and they totally lack the ability to play the core game let alone some gimmick deck. I can't tell you how many times I have blatantly withdrawn all my forces to the support zone to do a mass death after the first time I did the fake out and it didn't take. Pull that poo poo with better players and you get much better reactions and awareness. The weekly decks are just packed full of really annoying poo poo but the decks are overall decent. My beef is with good decks being played by people whos playstyles don't match them essentially putting their rear end on some crutch for their lack of imagination.

You don't need all the cards in the game. Just make a deck that fits what the gently caress you do when you play. I for instance am super loving aggressive and my decks all reflect that. It freaks me out when I see weekly decks with like triple flame dawn and the player is keeping people in the support zone all scared and poo poo.

I don't understand this post at all. You realize that the people playing premade decks are probably new and don't have any cards right? So you're mad at new players for not understanding how to play each of the 8 factions?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Drinkfist is mad. Yes. :xd:

I get what he's saying though. You expect the player to do something based on the deck but they're a new player so they do something so very unintuitive it fucks with your game flow.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Drinkfist posted:

If they're like me, the decks they made for themselves were played in Pauper instead of Core, because when you're first starting out it makes the match-ups a lot more even.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

My deck has a grand total of 5 characters in it and someone got really really mad at me for doing nothing but ability cards :v:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
one time a dude spent 5 minutes calling me a p*ssy in chat after a game because i beat him with death trap

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You know what I hate? People with really gimmicky decks that immediately concede if you break their gimmick early on. Let me get full exp and money for killing you, you rear end in a top hat, I broke your dumb gimmick, that's the least you can do.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I just beat someone in ranked with a deck made up of 40 Genesis Drones and 3 Infested Scavengers as commander. For my next trick it will be 40 One of many and 3 Brings life by passing as commander.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Drinkfist posted:

I just beat someone in ranked with a deck made up of 40 Genesis Drones and 3 Infested Scavengers as commander. For my next trick it will be 40 One of many and 3 Brings life by passing as commander.

Replace 1 Brings with factionless Aleta and another with double-warpath Aleta.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 11, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drinkfist posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if that Flame Dawn card Purity or whatever it's called removed UNLIMITED cards as well :derp:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if that Flame Dawn card Purity or whatever it's called removed UNLIMITED cards as well :derp:

there is that one card that exhausts everything with the same name, that would be cool

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

MrBims posted:

Replace 1 Brings with factionless Aleta and another with double-warpath Aleta.

Exchange double-warpath Aleta (haven't got her yet) with the breeding-grounds location, and that's essentially my deck.
I've stuffed various other Warpath characters in there too, but most of the work is done with my One of Many's and Aleta the Traveler.
Traveler Aleta isn't amazing, but she does give you a card-advantage; You spend one more resource and one less card to summon something, and you get to choose freely between all Unlimited characters.
If you build the deck around a specific Unlimited (like, say, zombies, or a grey goo of robots), it's essentially the same as a 1-cost 'draw a card' effect where you immediately play the card afterwards - except you don't mill yourself, of course.
MtG players wish they could do 1-mana 'take card from outside game' spells.
YGO players, meanwhile, sigh wistfully and remember the times, ages past, where Pot of Greed wasn't banned.

But I've found if you really want to win with Warpath, you do probably need some flight-removal (and maybe just some generic removal), as many boostable units as you can, and maybe a couple Unstoppable units.
So, single-unit One of Many decks would almost certainly lose to most half-decent decks.

Coming from a 'Yu-Gi-Oh versus AI' background, I'm generally skeptical to some of the mechanics of this game (especially the lack of a way to interfere with the opponent's 'escalation': In YGO, if I want to stop the opponent from synchronizing, or fusing, or whatever else, I can just kill his units. I can't really stop the opponent from reaching 10 resources in this game) but in general, it's been a fun game so far.

I think my most fun's been whenever the Rift deck is 'in season', and playing Merged.
Essentially, I have no idea what the deck is going in, and so every game is brand new - meanwhile, the opponent is left wondering why the heck he's suddenly got so many rift-cards.
Merged is also, in many ways, the ultimate 'fair fight' mode; The only difference in starting positions is the knowledge of your own original deck.
Heck, the Rifts deck even has a decent chance to win, if you're a decent player and have a bit of luck - I've won five out of the seven times I ran it - even though it seems nigh-useless outside of it.

EDIT: That's aerion111 in-game as well. Add me to the list if you feel like it.

aerion111 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 16, 2015

AppliedPhilosophy
Aug 7, 2012
I don't play too much, but I'm MetaMetaMeta in game.

Drinkfist posted:

And if you have any level of experience, and I mean any, with CCG you can just rock the "Vasir is Here" weekly deck. I've been absolutely destroying fools by virtue of being able to find/play scads of +resource cards within the first 4 turns. MTG basic deck building theory is alive and well. :psyduck:

AppliedPhilosophy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 23, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

AppliedPhilosophy posted:

I don't play too much, but I'm MetaMetaMeta in game.

And if you have any level of experience, and I mean any, with CCG you can just rock the "Vasir is Here" weekly deck. I've been absolutely destroying fools by virtue of being able to find/play scads of +resource cards within the first 4 turns. MTG basic deck building theory is alive and well. :psyduck:

I just want to see some cool poo poo and it seems only people with 1500+ ranking seem to have made a deck of their own without following the standard trends. I can't believe I haven't even seen classics like Secluded constructor + bad Bot in the command zone. A turn 3ish 20/20 is baller. Both those cards might as well be screaming "Make this deck" and yet I don't see it at all.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Drinkfist posted:

I just want to see some cool poo poo and it seems only people with 1500+ ranking seem to have made a deck of their own without following the standard trends. I can't believe I haven't even seen classics like Secluded constructor + bad Bot in the command zone. A turn 3ish 20/20 is baller. Both those cards might as well be screaming "Make this deck" and yet I don't see it at all.

Probably because Immortal Tinkerer + Infected Drone does a similar thing but better.

RingKing2
Aug 6, 2005

Drinkfist posted:

This doesn't work nearly as well as you think it does, because Secluded Constructor only sacrifices deployed characters. You'd have to cast the Bad Bot from command before you could sac it.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

RingKing2 posted:

This doesn't work nearly as well as you think it does, because Secluded Constructor only sacrifices deployed characters. You'd have to cast the Bad Bot from command before you could sac it.

It still guarantees you start with access to Bad Bot, though.
There's a lot of cards that get put into Command just so you can make sure you'll have it available the moment you can afford it.

RingKing2
Aug 6, 2005

aerion111 posted:

There's a lot of cards that get put into Command just so you can make sure you'll have it available the moment you can afford it.

And haste, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that you can't have the turn 3 attacking 20/20 the poster was describing.

Edit:

To add some content, does anyone want to talk Rift Runs? I've been playing for about a month now, almost exclusively Rift Runs. I have a pretty decent ccg background, mostly in M:TG, specializing in limited. I think I have a reasonable handle on the format, as I'm massively infinite and have been able to win decks 5 times, and usually place a run on the top 10 of the leaderboard. I would love to talk about Rift Run strategy or answer any questions people have about it. Card evaluation, Commander selection, which factions work well together, archetypes, whatever. I definitely don't know everything but I have learned a few things and I like to talk about it.

RingKing2 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 31, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

RK at me as kazvall IG so we can shoot the poo poo about rifts. Also I need to do some trading if people are willing.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Still the best Online Card game in the market.

I need to pay for a banner ad because my hatred of Blizzard knows no bounds. gently caress Hearthstone. Those people don't know what good card games are. Collecting, Building, Testing, Building, Playing original decks.

When you are limited to about 10 decks that you can make that work then you don't have a card game.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I started this game 2 days ago, and I must say I'm really liking it.

I have a massive CCG background, and this game reminds me the most to L5R actually. I know it is very different but I recognise a lot of ideas from it.
I am cruising through the campaigns at the moment, and have done two Rift Runs against AI which I think I could have both gone infinite after 10-0ing twice. Much too easy.

After completing all campaigns and academy trials I'll see if I have the cards to put in a somewhat decent deck for PvP.

If you want to give me some tips, i'm in as Evernoob

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drinkfist posted:

Still the best Online Card game in the market.

I need to pay for a banner ad because my hatred of Blizzard knows no bounds. gently caress Hearthstone. Those people don't know what good card games are. Collecting, Building, Testing, Building, Playing original decks.

When you are limited to about 10 decks that you can make that work then you don't have a card game.

We need to play this some more, and soon. Probably before you get unprobated :laugh:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
At last a deck I can use!

Uncontrolled Rift to victory.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

At last a deck I can use!

Uncontrolled Rift to victory.

Where you lose 9 out of 10 times but that 10th time is loving hilarious!

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.

Kazvall posted:

Where you lose 9 out of 10 times but that 10th time is loving hilarious!

Eh, just play Merged with it - still quite fun, and yet you've got a slightly-less-than-50/50 chance (because the opponent quickly figures out your deck is Uncontrolled Rift, while you've no idea how they built theirs)

It's a shame you're never going to get enough Rifts to make a custom rift-themed deck, I'd have loved to try a version with some 'support' units and non-creature cards thrown in, like an all-Aleta command or something.
Being able to buy/craft specific cards might partially compensate, but I'd totally buy a rift-only booster pack (with in-game currency, of course)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
You're making too much sense. I think the lady who can make a basic creature of your choice for cost+1 would be the right way to make it less nuts. That way you could at least get some rank and file to bolster whatever luck you had with the rest of the cards.

It also needs some nukes.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I picked this game up awhile ago and was about to make a thread for it but did some googling first to make sure there wasn't one. I am glad there is one and with a good op to. I am claptrapbeatboxtime in game.

I am a big baby and kind of scared of rift runs am I correct in that I do not get any rewards other then a chance to buy the deck? I was no where near infinite when I did arenas in hs I usually would win 4-8 and I could barely hit 6-8 in ranked so I'm not exactly a great ccg player and was wondering if there is a trump style streamer who could teach my the basics of rift runs?

Is the conventional wisdom to buy 1 of each deck on discount then buy the newest expansion boosters the best way to increase your collection?

snergle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 22, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You only should by a premade deck if there are a number of cards you want from it since the cards you get from that are static.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Buy premade decks for specific cards you might want. Otherwise buying collection boosters isn't a horrible idea. I personally spent 50 on the game and used the cards I got to trade for anything else. Got about 5 working decks now.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

aerion111 posted:

Plenty of people use those decks where they belong, my friend who just started is using one.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Randomly stumbled across this on the Steam store last Saturday (ign: Azhrarn), and am about halfway through the campaign missions. This "Scavenge the Dead" pre-constructed deck is just steamrolling everything (including the last Academy mission). :megadeath: :zpatriot:

I guess they just ran out of ideas on the Campaign missions and threw in "use whatever, it's cool" as a stopgap? The flavor text/story doesn't exactly line up with me using an undead deck on every mission it lets me.

Anyway, this is the best non-Star Realms card game I've played in forever, and I can't even find anyone badmouthing it other than the interface/matchmaking. Definitely solid enough to throw some money at it and grab a couple of each booster, but I really like the idea I read elsewhere of drafting the cards you like for a Rift run, and then buying that deck in order to get a higher percentage of useful cards (in regards to "where to spend points").

I'll start playing apprentice games at some point when the campaigns are complete and I can spend the time to make a deck or two.

:shobon: Voting for "Infinity Wars - Which nobody likes"

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Randomly stumbled across this on the Steam store last Saturday (ign: Azhrarn), and am about halfway through the campaign missions. This "Scavenge the Dead" pre-constructed deck is just steamrolling everything (including the last Academy mission). :megadeath: :zpatriot:

I guess they just ran out of ideas on the Campaign missions and threw in "use whatever, it's cool" as a stopgap? The flavor text/story doesn't exactly line up with me using an undead deck on every mission it lets me.

Anyway, this is the best non-Star Realms card game I've played in forever, and I can't even find anyone badmouthing it other than the interface/matchmaking. Definitely solid enough to throw some money at it and grab a couple of each booster, but I really like the idea I read elsewhere of drafting the cards you like for a Rift run, and then buying that deck in order to get a higher percentage of useful cards (in regards to "where to spend points").

I'll start playing apprentice games at some point when the campaigns are complete and I can spend the time to make a deck or two.

:shobon: Voting for "Infinity Wars - Which nobody likes"

If you don't suck at internet cards then find me on steam as Drinkfist and we can do fights.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just finished all the campaigns off the back of the Recruit the Warpath weekly deck. The AI just folds to fast resources, far too passive to do anything about it. Time to do some drafts.

For those curious about what you start out with as a F2P scrub after finishing the academy and campaign stuff, I ended up with 3,800 Infinity points(Almost enough for 4 drafts) and some 600 cards, 8 of which are rares or above.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the game throws a lot of cards at you for not a lot of time investment. More than enough to see if you want to collect more cards or not :)

Drink, we need to play some cards again soon when we're done playing other bad games.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Ergh, wish I could look at my old cards in draft.

Also, this seems like something to prevent happening, as it's purely punitive and just removes a choice:

(Drinkfist I added you in game, though am drafting atm because I don't want to deal with deckbuilding yet)

Edit: TWICE! AND THE SAME CARD! :shepface:

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 7, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Ergh, wish I could look at my old cards in draft.

Also, this seems like something to prevent happening, as it's purely punitive and just removes a choice:

(Drinkfist I added you in game, though am drafting atm because I don't want to deal with deckbuilding yet)
this game is shittily made

like it's fun to play but everything surrounding the 'game' part is garbage. the UI lags, it takes like ten seconds to load a new card choice, etc

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

now is my time, the time of the death trap free week

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I want to make an exiles deck but it seems they all work off the back of the discard a random card give your minions +1/+1 but I don't have any of those. Is there another way to reliably discard a card so you can pay the exile cost? or am I stuck waiting for a ritual master.

snergle fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 10, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

theres that card that makes you discard your entire hand, or uhh reckless abandon, or all of theo ther cards that let you discard (coyle, probably more i forget) or just having too many cards in your hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

you could also just make the discard dude of your choice a commander so there is no waiting involved.

• Locked thread