Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiyensa
May 5, 2010
I'm not going to speak to being transgendered specifically, but here's what all the labeling seems to be about imo:

In a given culture, various norms are recognized, but considering how obviously diverse actual human experience is, while a majority of the people in that culture might feel passably represented by those norms, not everyone is. Labeling becomes necessary when a group of people are, like a lot of people are pointing out, discriminated against for their preferences or ignored and need something to identify themselves to their opposition and the society at large.

The labeling has also become the norm, so whenever someone doesn't feel represented by the overarching society, they pick these words to describe themselves. Plenty of people do this because they actually do feel disenfranchised, while plenty of people do it to draw attention to themselves, but the act of labeling is in itself a call for attention. In a society where people of sexualities differing from heterosexual aren't seen as abnormal, where they aren't persecuted for that preference and their needs as a group and as individuals aren't ignored, would it be necessary to point out that they aren't straight? From a political standpoint, probably not. From a personal standpoint, maybe. If I'm gay, having people around me know that would probably be useful, specifically someone of the opposite sex who might try to pursue me romantically/sexually. It is a part of interpersonal communication to make known your own preferences and how you see yourself.

Also, in terms of the diversity of human experience, assuming that there are only certain paths to personal fulfillment-certain defined genders, certain very specific types of relationships, certain lifestyles, etc-is detrimental. If I'm only sexually attracted to women, being constantly told that I have to be with a man, that that relationship is the only natural and fulfilling one, it completely wrong, and trying to live that way is likely never going to lead to my happiness. And ultimately, if a person is doing something or seeing the world in some way that makes them happy, and this isn't hurting anyone, I don't see why it bothers others so much. If someone feels like they're asexual, wants to tell people about it, regardless of whether others feel like they aren't

. . . actually, I haven no idea. If someone doesn't want to have sex, who cares? If others don't think that asexuality exists, it still doesn't become their business whether or not that person sees themselves that way. If someone thinks having a sex change will make them feel more themselves, go for it. How is that hurting anyone? One could argue that it hurts the person getting the change, but if it makes them feel better about their lives and themselves, no, it obviously doesn't. And if that person over there thinks they are a wolf, or whatever, fine; let them. Is the problem that somehow that perspective makes something like homosexuality look less legitimate? Don't worry; people who think homosexuality is bullshit don't need a dragon-spirit demisexual whatever to solidify their prejudices. They're going to feel that way anyways. And is it because one perceives these people as mentally ill or attention starved? How does that even matter as long as it's not hurting anyone? I've known people who believe themselves to be in constant communion with spirits and demons, and they can't manage a single sane interaction with someone else, and I've known people who think they're reincarnated alien vampires who can function just fine in everyday life.

The tl;dr version: In some ways, labeling is useful. In someways, it's probably overkill. Does it matter? As long as no one is getting hurt or mistreated? Probably not. Again, all my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Edit: Also, I think there's demonstrate-ably something like four(maybe more; I always forget the exact number) other biological sexes besides accepted male and female, all of which fall somewhere in between. Most of them might be associated with disorders, but in deciding a child's biological sex, doctors would often refer to what is considered a normal penis size; anything below it was female. So some people would be between sexes, or intersex, and be labelled as male or female depending on what a doctor chose, only to find out this status later, even decades later. How should these people see themselves? We have these clearly defined ideas of what the two widely recognized sexes do and how they behave, but looking at individuals again proves much more diverse.

Jiyensa fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread