Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
A lot of the "weirder" social justice blogs are trolls trying to discredit the social justice movement, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I hear a lot of people saying this but I've never seen any actual proof. Then again I don't spend any time whatsoever reading crazy people's tumblr pages so I doubt if I could tell a troll from a genuine whackjob.

"Riley," one of the louder and bigger nuts (also responsible for The Arkh Project, a Kickstarter scam that was supposed to be a JRPG with the entire cast being transgendered POCs who enslaved cis white people), frequently calls people niggers on Livejournal and says a lot of open racist stuff on there, if I remember correctly.

The bulk of the other really really crazy people on Tumblr are just pretty obvious Poes, like the autistic Korean flying dog in a white girl's body and whatnot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

on the left posted:

There are plenty of weeaboos with social justice blogs on tumblr that think Imperial Japan did nothing wrong.

Getting angry at someone for drawing an anime slightly too light-skinned and promoting a "game" that treats black trans people enslaving whites as a good thing, then going around calling black people dumb niggers and repeating Stormfront talking points on a different website, takes an astounding amount of cognitive dissonance if it's not a troll.

e: god no I'm not saying to judge trans people based on them, I'm using them as an example of crazy right-wingers trying to disrupt the social justice movement. Trans people and 90% of social justice people are cool.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I don't think anyone should give any credence to claims that "oh everyone on our side who is bad is actually just a plant from the opposition".

I'm not saying literally everyone who is a crazy SJ person is a plant, just that there's trolls among them, and my guesstimate is that there's more trolls loudly saying stupid and horrible poo poo than genuine idiots doing so.

Also, a lot of such crazy SJ blogs legitimately do push slightly reworded right-wing views (the obsession with cultural appropriation, in many cases, has the logical conclusion of society being entirely separated along racial/cultural lines- the exact thing that a lot of neo-Nazis want) so it's a fairly believable assertion.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

When I've dealt with "cultural appropriation," it has tended to be along the lines of white people stealing artwork from native people, then telling them that a bunch of white dudes know more about their culture than they do.

The stuff I'm talking about is when people say things like "learning a new language is cultural appropriation" or "watching movies made by non-white people is cultural appropriation" or "eating at a Chinese restaurant is cultural appropriation." There's sane examples of it, and they're not what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

So, they basically don't know anything about the concept but its name?

No, they're using the concept as a way to push lefties towards radical right-wing ideas. I imagine they understand it just fine and are just being malicious.

e: also jesus gently caress, how about let people decide for themselves whether SRS is right for them instead of giving it a blanket yes or no? It helps some people and doesn't help others.

• Locked thread