Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What if there was a person claiming to be transgendered, and yet when you looked at their brain via MRI they ended up having a typical brain for their assigned-at-birth gender? So a guy saying he's a trans woman, but when you look at their brain it looks very much like an average male brain. Are they faking it, or what?

Is it necessary for transgenderism to be "backed up" by neuroscience for it to be valid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Someone tried a similar attempt at being clever a few pages back, I'll repeat the response to it again: And if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle.

If things were totally different obviously things would be totally different. But we have science backing it up, and posters have been posting links to studies backing it for pages, so it isn't.

My argument was in FAVOR of transgenderism, not against. It's like homosexuality: people are arguing back and forth over whether it's innate/in-born or if it's a conscious choice, but the reality is that it doesn't matter. Could the same be true of transgenderism? Just like we don't need to test a gay or bi person to see if they're really genetically gay or if they just up and arbitrarily decided to be gay/bi one day, maybe all this talk of neuroscience is pointless. There are people who obviously feel strongly enough about their gender that they decide to undergo invasive and dangerous and irreversible surgery, as well as open themselves up to ridicule, harassment, mockery, and even violence. And yet more people are "coming out". That should be evidence enough that transgenderism is valid.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Personal conviction is not proof that something is real. Plenty of people believe complete bullshit. Whether you intend it that way or not, the fact that you are trying to spin it as such is pretty derogatory towards people who do have actual validated conditions by putting the people who just believe in something really hard on the same level as those who have been medically diagnosed and have to deal with that reality every day.

So a trans person isn't real unless they've been medically diagnosed? Can people self-diagnose themselves as trans?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

I realize you think you are being clever, but you really aren't.

Is it possible that someone can think that they're trans, but actually aren't? What if someone believes themselves to be trans, gets their brain looked at, and is told "Hmmmm. Your brain looks typical for your sex and birth gender." Does that mean that they cannot get HRT and/or SRS?

You think I'm trolling but I'm being dead loving serious. Does everyone need to be diagnosed with transgenderism before being able to transition?

Dazzling Addar posted:

Self-diagnosis is somewhat intrinsic to the entire experience. Horrible, unethical people have made people's life decisions for them before, to disastrous effect. If after discussion and exploration of the subject the patient does not exhibit a strong desire or volition to transition, then it is off the table, period. Now, with that said: while self-diagnosis is virtually a necessity, it is still important to seek professional help for both your medical and mental needs. It is honestly quite uncommon for an individual to be "mistaken" about their choice, the real issue is that the transition process begs supervision. It is lengthy and it affects the body in profound ways, even if those ways are the desired effect of the treatment. Unfortunately, many people do not have a great deal of choice in the matter and don't have access to this kind of care. Someone's "authenticity" as a person on the trans spectrum is, however, not for doctors to decide. Also good luck getting your insurance to accept that manner of diagnosis.

I understand the need to seek professional medical help. The question I'm asking is, what if you feel very strongly that you might be trans, so you go see the doctor, and then are told "Nope, doesn't look like it. Your brain looks like a cisgendered (wo)man's." Is that the end of it, then?

As for your final point, the ideal would be for UHC which covered everything, but that's for a different thread.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 22, 2014

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What if there was a person claiming to have a brain tumor, and yet when you looked at their brain via MRI they ended up having a typical brain for their assigned-at-birth health state? So a guy saying he's a tumor haver, but when you look at their brain it looks very much like an average healthy brain. Are they faking it, or what?

Is it necessary for brain tumors to be "backed up" by neuroscience for it to be valid?

...What the hell does this even mean? Are you saying that, yes, trans people with brains typical of cisgendered people of the same sex really are either faking it or delusional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm replacing the words in your post in order to make fun of you for making awkward, unfunny posts. Sorry for explaining the joke but I was hoping you would get it. Sorry.

Do you people seriously think I'm trolling? Holy poo poo.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I think evoking neuroscience opens up a slippery slope. Now you're saying that transgenderism is caused by having a brain more similar to that of the opposite sex. So is that a prerequisite? You can't be transgendered unless the MRI says you are?

It's not at ALL like saying you have a tumor. A tumor can be verified, yay or nay. You either have a tumor or you don't. But if you say you identify more as a man and you're female, how similar to cis men's brains does your brain need to be? Same goes for if you're male but identify as a woman.

• Locked thread