Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

goatse.cx posted:

Is there any scientific basis for this?

There isn't a consensus but there are multiple studies which show that people who claim to be transgender often have brain structures similar to the gender they feel like they are rather than the gender of their physical body. Male to Female individuals with male genitals are much more likely to have a 'female' brain rather than a 'male' brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spazzle posted:

Would anyone who is for gender reassignment surgery be suddenly against it if the brains of transsexuals were totally identical to those of the rest of their birth gender?

I would be less in favor of it as a theraputic measure if there was no scientific evidence supporting it, yes. However, since there is scientific evidence supporting it, I am in favor of gender reassignment surgery.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SwingShift posted:

It sounds like you don't know what "fringe tumblr types" refers to. It refers to the likes of people claiming to have headmates, multiples, otherkin, etc.

That's generous. I was assuming it was a blanket term used to refer to leftists or people the speaker generally wanted to insult, but wasn't able to think of a more clever or original phrase.

There were multiple people in a recent thread complaining about how being asked to not inject their ignorance into conversations is SJW censorship. Even for an empty pejorative it's grossly overused, like liberals or fag, where it rapidly starts to lose any meaning.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 19, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

I don't think anyone should give any credence to claims that "oh everyone on our side who is bad is actually just a plant from the opposition".

Sure, but there's really no reason to take anything you read on the internet from a quasinonymous source at face value unless you really want it to be true - either because there's someone else out there who shares your desire to be a toaster or because it just proves in your mind that all of your political opponents actually are crazy.

Like when people get really pissy about SJWs and how they never accomplish anything outside of the internet... which begs the question as to why people get so angry over SJWs in the first place, if it's all just internet faffery?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What if there was a person claiming to have a brain tumor, and yet when you looked at their brain via MRI they ended up having a typical brain for their assigned-at-birth health state? So a guy saying he's a tumor haver, but when you look at their brain it looks very much like an average healthy brain. Are they faking it, or what?

Is it necessary for brain tumors to be "backed up" by neuroscience for it to be valid?

goatse.cx posted:

I thought the nature of MPD is controversial at best. When has it been proven to be a real thing?

MPD itself is a spurious idea but it can be either pop-psychology attention seeking or a very real symptom of a very serious brain problem. It doesn't really exist as a functional disorder and tends to crop up among shysters but then again there is a common set of MPD attributes and behaviors that is recognized among people with other mental disorders to add some weight to the idea. For example, MPD can be a sign of epilepsy, schizophrenia, borderline, bipolar, or other as of yet unidentified hallucinatory problems.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blue Star posted:

...What the hell does this even mean? Are you saying that, yes, trans people with brains typical of cisgendered people of the same sex really are either faking it or delusional?

I'm replacing the words in your post in order to make fun of you for making awkward, unfunny posts. Sorry for explaining the joke but I was hoping you would get it. Sorry.

Just in case further elaboration is warranted, there may be some other cause at play for someone who really believes they have an undetectable brain tumor that is worthy of medical attention, and as our knowledge of neurological gender basis grows there could very well be some underlying unwellness at work. There's still no reason to ask what proportion of trans individuals actually are faking it, as that's kind of unwarranted and mean spirited.

The post I made fun of is basically saying "But what if they ARE faking it, what then?" which is a hypothetical that isn't really worth discussion except to educate and then make fun of you.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 22, 2014

• Locked thread