Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

Hmm...People who claim to be upset with the "fringe Tumblr types" also have issues/ignorance with plain old transgendered people.

This is a shock.

It sounds like you don't know what "fringe tumblr types" refers to. It refers to the likes of people claiming to have headmates, multiples, otherkin, etc. I don't have issues with trans people, but I do have issues with ignorant 15/17/19 year olds claiming they have some variant of multiple personality disorder (DID, yes I know, but they never use that term) via the whole "multiple systems" thing. Who then proceed to have conversations between the identities, which is goes against all criteria for DID, but if you tell them that suddenly you're a bigot. Not to mention the whole otherkin thing (including inanimate objects! Did you know there was at least one buildingkin running around?) and the weird pseudo spiritual side of the community (ran into a reincarnated goddess who was also an angel one time who walked the train of tears in a past life. Someone claimed to be a catfairy as well.) See also: the entire pronoun issue. Oh man, you don't like using pronouns she/her/herself even if you're a cis woman? Why not use bun pronouns! Like bunself. Great if you're a bunkin. What's that? Your wings hurt when people run through them because they can't see them? Mine too! Let's start a blog about our wings and complain about how they get cramped in the minivan. Not to mention the loving transethnics.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there, but there's a lot of variety of special snowflake bullshit. What I'm saying is that it sounds like you're equating "fringe tumblr types" like otherkin and multiples and transethnics with trans people. Which is a terrible idea. I don't know if you meant it that way, but that's how it read to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What I'm really looking for is someone that exists outside of the sphere of jibbering internet culture to be speaking on aporagender, etc.

That's too bad because apparently Aporagender is a Brand New Thing created by a tumblr blogger. If you were wondering why you never heard of it before or why there are no experts on it, it's because it didn't exist before 6/9/14. http://aporagender.tumblr.com/post/88328947879/aporagender-is-a-term-recently-coined-by-me Edit: I'd like to add that they claimed they coined it but from what I've looked into it doesn't seem to exist anywhere but on tumblr. There are only 440 results on google.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But no characters are homoromantic asexuals. Am I failing to be as inclusive as I could be?

No. At least, I don't think so. It's good to write diversity into your works, obviously, and I love reading works that do that - but it's sort of impossible to write Every Single Identity into your novel, for example, because there are a) so many identities that's near impossible to list them all and b) not every person in a group all agree on how their group should be represented, so there's also that issue. And if you do it just to have a little checklist to mark off then your story would probably suffer in quality.

PS: write your next novel about a homoromantic asexual.

SwingShift fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 19, 2014

• Locked thread