Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Why have we collectively decided that some going through a sex change is ok, but someone who wants to be a wolf is fair game for ridicule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

To put it differently, we know that a human can be either a man or a woman, so it's conceivable (even incredibly likely) that whatever factors make someone "feel" like one or the other (or something in between) can go haywire in certain circumstances, causing a mismatch between an individual's perception of their own gender and their biological sex. On the other hand, we know that a human being cannot be a wolf or visa versa.

I think in a hypothetical world where transsexuals were viewed by D&D with revulsion, you could use similar arguments against them, or I suppose similar arguments for people who want to be animals. If there were surgeries that people routinely got to go wolf, I bet a large portion of the people here would defend it.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Well, that's certainly a baseless speculation you've made there. Do you have anything to address the point that he made?

(Though if we had evidence that most of the people undergoing said hypothetical wolf surgery experienced an improvement in their quality of life, I imagine that people would support it, but this isn't the case.)

Do most transsexuals have an improved overall quality of life? I thought that they are discriminated against and are often targets of lots of crime.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Would anyone who is for gender reassignment surgery be suddenly against it if the brains of transsexuals were totally identical to those of the rest of their birth gender? All these arguments seem like after the fact justifications to support what we already believe.

• Locked thread