Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Courtesy of Cpl. Bacter

Alright, recruits, listen up. It is my duty to welcome you all to the Canadian Armed Forces. There ain't much to the Canadian military nowadays, but peacekeeping. But between that and our hatred for all things American, it's important to our government that our troops be trained to be the best, in order to deal with any hardship that might be thrown our way--even if the government doesn't actually want to spend any money on training programs at all.

Now before you ask "hey, what's the guy from Alien doing in the Canadian military?", let me first implore you to shut the gently caress up. Second, I expect the first and last words out of your mouth to be a "sir, yes, sir!", is that understood?

Besides, it was Aliens. That poo poo was pluralized, you idiots, ha ha! As in there's more than one? Come on, son!

Okay, enough kidding around. Now as I said, Canada basically spends all its time peacekeeping or peacemaking or whatever. So that means you need to be trained in how to locate and defuse mines. Take a look at the training grid here:

I know what you're thinking. "Sergeant Apone, what does the Canadian Military think it's doing training its soldiers on real mines?" It knows exactly what it's doing, that's what. Yeah, we're gonna break a few eggs. But those left over are going to be the baddest Canadian peacekeepers ever seen. You'll be able to minesweeper and cook breakfast for your granny all at once. Heck, if you're lucky enough to might even get on TV:

Courtesy of Lt. Gen. nine-gear crow

Of course, the dead will not be forgotten. All those who pass in this most honourable training exercise will be awarded the Maple Heart. Of which you will all be memorialized right here:

Courtesy of Cpl. Bacter
:canada: :canada: :canada::canada: :canada::canada: :canada:
:canada: Maple Heart Recipients :canada:
:canada: :canada: :canada::canada: :canada::canada: :canada:
  • Pvt. Iringahn
  • Pvt. InfinityComplex
  • Pvt. drat horror queefs
  • Pvt. Brony Hunter
  • Pvt. SystemLogoff
  • Pvt. Ensign_Ricky
  • Pvt. Pyroi
  • Pvt. Heavy neutrino
  • Pvt. Ramos
  • Cpl. Tobias Grant
  • Pvt. unwantedplatypus
  • Pvt. Arelon
  • Pvt. JamieTheD
  • Pvt. berryjon
  • Pvt. Shinarato
  • Pvt. ANIME MONSTROSITY
  • Pvt. cucka
  • Pvt. legoman727*
  • Cpl. RickVoid
  • Pvt. GNU Order
  • Pvt. Gorgo Primus
  • Pvt. Dexie
  • Pvt. mateo360
  • MCpl. NewMars**
  • Lt. Gen. nine-gear crow
  • Pvt. Holepunchio
  • Cpl. Gamerofthegame
  • Pvt. sniper4625
  • Pvt. unwantedplaypus†
  • Cpl. Bombogenesis
  • Pvt. Shinarato♠ (and their entire family)
  • Pvt. GuavaMoment

*Dishonourably Discharged Posthumously
**Posthumous Promotion
Company Chaplain
Sports Cross Recipient

Courtesy of Lt. Gen. nine-gear crow

All military funerals will be presided over by my close personal friend and brother in arms, Bret "The Hitman" Hart.

Those of you who complete the training will become Canadian soldiers and will serve your country with honour and dignity. At least until the government cuts funding even more and we have to disband the military. Alright. Now, the rules are simple. Mark all mines with a flag and clear out the rest of the grid. Now which one of you badasses wants to step up first?

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Okay, I'll bite: 2x2 starting from the upper left

Iringahn
Oct 31, 2011
Dead center.

Sir.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neige posted:

Okay, I'll bite: 2x2 starting from the upper left

Well, well, well. You've done this before, haven't you, Pvt. Neige? Excellent work.

Iringahn posted:

Dead center.

Sir.

Goddamnit, no! That is not how you sweep mines, Pvt. Iringahn! Jesus! We've got our first corpse and a whole lot of mess to clean up now. You can all thank Pvt. Iringahn for that, cause I sure as hell ain't cleaning that up.

Least they remembered the "sir", the little rapscallion. You earned your Maple Heart.

Let's try this again. Who's up?

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 13, 2014

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

SIR LOWER RIGHT CORNER SIR

ALWAYS CHECK THE CORNERS FIRST SIR

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Repeating leadeth to wisdom.
Dead center.
Sir.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
What do you mean, a new minefield???

I'm finishing the one I started, thank you very much. Unless I can't, in which case stop reading right there.

Flag the corner with the 1 touching it, flag the space below it, click the space directly below the bottom-most 2.

Sir!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CARRIERHASARRIVED posted:

SIR LOWER RIGHT CORNER SIR

ALWAYS CHECK THE CORNERS FIRST SIR

Ah, yes. The "Four Corners" strategy. A sound tactical decision, straight out of the rookie playbook.

So far, so good, Pvt. CARRIERHASARRIVED. Let's see how well your theory holds up on each of those corners.

Bravo. Bravo. But be warned, this isn't always a sure-fire strategy. Sometimes the mines are in the corners! I've lost many raw recruits, friends too, to people who were too overeager to use the Four Corners method. There's one thing you can be sure of in Minesweeping, and that's that you can never be sure! Pvt. anilEhilated, there is no longer a centre square. Why don't you make another choice.

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 19, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neige posted:

What do you mean, a new minefield???

We can't use the old minefield, Pvt. Iringhan's dismembered corpse is decorating it!

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Okay. On the south-west quadrant and ONLY that quadrant, flag the topmost square, flag the rightmost square, click below the 2 that's on top...

SIR!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Center being no longer an option, I say middle tile of the top row.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neige posted:

Okay. On the south-west quadrant and ONLY that quadrant, flag the topmost square, flag the rightmost square, click below the 2 that's on top...

SIR!

I do believe you're onto something, Pvt. Neige. Now if you rookies all gather 'round and have a look-see, you'll notice we now have a "3" on the board. "But Sergeant Apone, I don't even know what the other numbers mean!" Blank squares mean there are no nearby mines. If a square has a number on it, that means there's a mine adjacent to it. The number tells you how many. The "3" tells us there's one more mine next to that square aside from the two that Pvt. Neige has already flagged for us.

poo poo, I suppose I should have mentioned that before Pvt. Iringhan got blasted. Uhh--

anilEhilated posted:

Center being no longer an option, I say middle tile of the top row.

*ahem* Good work, Pvt. anilEhilated. You've cleared up some of the upper grid.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Alright men, I got this.

Still south-west quadrant: flag the square directly underneath the 3, the rest are safe to click.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neige posted:

Alright men, I got this.

Still south-west quadrant: flag the square directly underneath the 3, the rest are safe to click.

We just might yet make soldiers out of you lot.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Sir, permission to plant a flag in that one tile in the centre column, sir?

How hard are we supposed to push these flags in, again?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Sir! I believe the space below the revealed square in the top right corner is safe, sir! We should check it so we can continue!

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Top left corner, on the block with a 1 above and below it? Flag it. The square to its right? Click it. The square to ITS right? Flag it. That's the top left corner right there.

Uhhhhh, sir!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Sir, I believe a flag belongs on the lower-left corner of that big unexplored lot on the right, sir.

Which is, to say, sir, from the center row, far right, one pace west and one pace south, sir.

I don't think I signed up for bomb disposal.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Rather Watch Them posted:

Sir, I believe a flag belongs on the lower-left corner of that big unexplored lot on the right, sir.

Which is, to say, sir, from the center row, far right, one pace west and one pace south, sir.

And let's just plant another flag on the square directly above the square he mentioned and we're good for what? 8 mines now? We're good, right? 8/10 is a solid B on any report card...

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Punch that smug smiling bastard in the face. Get him to tell us where he's hidden the mines! ...Sir.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

inflatablefish posted:

Sir, permission to plant a flag in that one tile in the centre column, sir?

How hard are we supposed to push these flags in, again?

I tell you what, Pvt. inflateablefish, if you hear a "click", you've gone too far.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sir! I believe the space below the revealed square in the top right corner is safe, sir! We should check it so we can continue!

So it is. Good work.

Neige posted:

Top left corner, on the block with a 1 above and below it? Flag it. The square to its right? Click it. The square to ITS right? Flag it. That's the top left corner right there.

Uhhhhh, sir!

You continue to impress, Pvt. Neige.

Neige posted:

And let's just plant another flag on the square directly above the square he mentioned and we're good for what? 8 mines now? We're good, right? 8/10 is a solid B on any report card...

You know what? I was worried about you lot. But it looks like you're going to pass training after all. I mean, I figured after that one casualty that you'd be a bunch of gently caress-ups, but I'll be damned if I don't know how you could screw this up--

Inferior posted:

Punch that smug smiling bastard in the face. Get him to tell us where he's hidden the mines! ...Sir.

No. No! NO!!! That just resets the mine grid! Goddamnit!

Pvt. Inferior, do you think this is just a game? Do you? This is a goddamned way of life!

Alright, soldiers, we're going to take it from the top again. You can thank Pvt. Inferior for that. Tonight. With soap and socks. A Blanket Party, if you get my meaning. That meaning is pummel them mercilessly. Alright, let's get back on training. Assholes and elbows!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Sir, I recommend we send Inferior straight in the middle for his crimes!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Agreed sir! That flag took a lot out of me, too much for him to go and pull that SNAFU.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Yeah, I'll go to the middle... but I want Gamerofthegame and Rather Watch Them standing either side of me.

Teamwork is important, Sarge.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

I'll take the right side, sir.

Maybe I'll live to see the infirmary.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Agreed sir! That flag took a lot out of me, too much for him to go and pull that SNAFU.

Inferior posted:

Yeah, I'll go to the middle... but I want Gamerofthegame and Rather Watch Them standing either side of me.

Teamwork is important, Sarge.

I'll take the right side, sir.

Maybe I'll live to see the infirmary.

Ha ha, I love it.

But the Canadian Military is all about teamwork. Pvt. Gamerofthegame and Rather Watch Them, go on out there with Pvt. Inferior.

Well, alright. You're all still alive, but this doesn't help us all that much. Any other bright ideas?

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 11, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Oh, that's right. Pvt. Gamerofthegame and Rather Watch Them, you're still alive too. Thanks for checking the area next to Pvt. Inferior. Still not super helpful.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'll try the top right corner, sir!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

From the top left corner, seven to the right, then eight down, sir! When the center fails, attempting a pseudo-random strategy might confuse the mines, which are clearly sentient and capable of being confused, sir!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

inflatablefish posted:

I'll try the top right corner, sir!

It's good. Who's next?

TheMcD posted:

From the top left corner, seven to the right, then eight down, sir! When the center fails, attempting a pseudo-random strategy might confuse the mines, which are clearly sentient and capable of being confused, sir!

Pvt. TheMcD, I don't know what you're talking about, but you seem to have hit the jackpot.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Row 6, Column 7 has a mine, sir! But go to Row Row 5, Column 7. That poo poo should be good.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Sir! The first column, fifth row has a mine in it, sir!

Also, we may want to put a note on Mr. Smiley to ensure that certain elements (not naming names) won't try and abuse it.

Sir.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Fourth row of Column Three and Five look might suspicious there. Gonna check 'em out.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

Row 6, Column 7 has a mine, sir! But go to Row Row 5, Column 7. That poo poo should be good.

I'll go even further than that sir. Like he said, right above the mine is a safe click zone, but right above THAT is another safe click zone. But after that, plant a flag cuz I suspect something shifty going on.

So on Column 7: flags on row 3 and 6, clicks on row 4 and 5. Trust me on that. I've played Minecraft and it's practically the same thing.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sir, I advise we check the "Help" tab

This situation is beyond the abilities of the Canadian Military, Sir

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Click tiles at random until we die uh sir

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
OOC: I have not had this good a laugh in quite some time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ThatPazuzu posted:

So it is. Excellent work, Pvt. ThatPazuzu.

Dr. Snark posted:

Sir! The first column, fifth row has a mine in it, sir!

Also, we may want to put a note on Mr. Smiley to ensure that certain elements (not naming names) won't try and abuse it.

Sir.

Consider it noted. I'm not about to have a second "Smiley Incident."

InfinityComplex posted:

Fourth row of Column Three and Five look might suspicious there. Gonna check 'em out.

What do you mean you're "gonna check'em out?" Hold on, lemme get my helmet.

Alright, go on ahead.

Goddamnit!

Sonuvabitch.

drat horror queefs posted:

Click tiles at random until we die uh sir

Go on, then, show us how it's done.

Oh for--

Yo, cut it out you--

Another two soldiers fall in the line of duty for the Canadian Military.

GNU Order posted:

Sir, I advise we check the "Help" tab

This situation is beyond the abilities of the Canadian Military, Sir

Alright, I'll play along.

Now what?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just want to tell you [all] good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I leave you alone for a week and you start LPing Minesweeper?

:wtc:

EDIT: Canadian Military Simulator 2015, for those of you who are interested is: 1) Spend billions we don't have on F-35s, 2) ignore ensuing shitstorm, 3) get voted out of office, 4) ram foot up Peter McKay's rear end for stress-relief purposes.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 20, 2014

• Locked thread