Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

newtestleper posted:

He's my favorite writer. His short stories are what he's known for. Sixty stories contains most of his most famous stories.

If you Google him you'll find a website called jessamyn which has a few of his stories.

Barthelmes the dead father book is pretty swank. There are some great lines and ideas. Some pages of non attributed dialogue work across the page. I first was turned into him through his short short story "the school"

If you dig his stuff, I also recommend his brothers work, Frederick Barthelme. It's good but in a very different way.

while Donald creates metafiction that mocks/highlights how fake language can be, Frederick creates tilts in the other direction by creating hyper-real work that is detached from generating a concrete idea of reality but instead creates an incredibly "hallucination-powered" representation: "filled with alien people on a world very much like ours with achingly pristine language

An easy example: "Hyperreal fiction not only reflects the condition of commodification [in relation to capitalism and desire] in postmodern society but also thematizes it:

Donald Barthelme writes in a short story in 1979 posted:

Went to the grocery store and Xeroxed a box of English muffins, two pounds of ground veal and an apple. In flagrant violation of the Copyright act.'

and Frederick's 1983 "Safeway" is similar but very different: "

Fredrick barthelme Safeway 1983 posted:

You look at her shoes. They are high-helped, buff colored. "Hi," you say. She doesn't stop, only pushes on toward the front of the store. You race in the opposite direction, trying to get the waffles and the TV Guide and find her checkout line for a last look, but the store is out of the waffles you want, Kellogg's, so you take the house brand -- small squares in a clear plastic bag."

Jameson, another author, relates in his essay: "Postmodernism and Consumer Society" that consumer objects glow with a hallucinatory energy. Desire in all its forms is now lifted from any kind of grounding and is free to float from people (notably women) to consumer objects whose colors seem intense and hyperreal....

quote:

Go on -- buy one," says a girl walking by. You turn and watch her shoulders; you do want something, suddenly, so you go back to the medical supplies and select the Curad bandages, because the package is green." ...
Jameson relates this kind of language to "schizophrenic experience" where time and language are broken down from a consistent identity and instead create isolated islands of sequences.

Frederick has a little bio section on his website talking about how his own writing evolved so distinctly different from his brother and it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
To anyone struggling with The Recognitions or just meaning to get into Gaddis, I highly recommend going with either JR or A Frolic of His Own first. They are both much more matured in style (a very unique and engaging style at that). I also think they are both better than Reg, with Frolic possibly being the best book ever written (don't shoot me).

E: And do take advantage of the official(?) Gaddis web site. It explains all the references that are as numerous as they are obscure. It really helped me enjoy Gaddis even more.

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 22, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Though the website's great I still attest that reading along with the guides is cheating, the books are trying very hard to throw their readers and having the references, puns, and plots pinned out for you should be left for a second read. Comfort yourself knowing that he got a lot of stuff out of an Oxford Dictionary of Quotations. And yeah, after Rec he lost his religious fervour, it's 100% about being battered by capitalism and is therefore more relatable, I guess.
Also, there's a biography put out last year, part of the critics continuing movement to ignore the books.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 22, 2016

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Though the website's great I still attest that reading along with the guides is cheating.

I don't. Either you know/get the reference or you don't. But I do agree with trying to figure it out on your own first. That's part of the charm. So it's not like I advise anyone to stop at every obscure or hard to get part and immediately check the site. The way I did it was to read a chapter or few and then check what I missed. Well at least with Recognitions. When I was reading Frolic + JR I had no idea such a site existed.

So actually now I'm not completely sure anymore if you should do this. If you are not the type to re-read stuff, at the very least check the annotations after you've finished, maybe even check them periodically during the reading. Heck, try it out, see what it feels like to you. In any case, don't worry about "cheating". It's your enjoyment. Maximize it your own preferred way.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I feel that missing stuff because you hosed up by not paying attention to a baffling wave of information (either given in the book or assumed general knowledge) was 100% what Gaddis was going for. So much of his stuff is people talking over one another at cross purposes. I'm glad Ult found it funny though, a lot of the first critics called it dour even though it's got some of the goofiest pratfalls in literature.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Yeah don't get me wrong, Gaddis taught me to enjoy just letting go and go with the flow even though I'm not always entirely sure who's talking or what's even happening. I learned to trust that all would be made clear eventually. And when it often wasn't, I learned not to be such a pedantic completionist and just enjoy the prose.

You know the more I analyze this, the more I feel you should just let the text take you where ever without external sources. Then again, I did enjoy Recog a lot with the references handy.

So once again, try what works for you, but don't feel intimitated if you're not always quuite sure what's going on. It's part of the process.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read Gaddis (yet), but I like his idea of the reader and the story in a collaboration for an true reading experience.

That's what I've learned from reading Po-Mo. You can't understand everything in this world, but you can learn something by trying. Enjoy the journey.

I like Pynchon for this, and his response to Jules Siegel's criticism towards V.'s complexity is spot on with the genre: "Why should things be easy to understand?" Which is funny, because I glean a lot of this philosophy from V. and Lot 49.

Much of V's plot centers around two people given different opportunities for "understanding". Stencil is searching for "V.", but does so by trying to get in mindsets of characters in journals, looking into minute details for clues, even concentrating on words to see if they mean something with inflection:

quote:

“A phrase (it often happened when he was exhausted) kept cycling round and round, preconsicously, just under the threshold of lip and tongue movement: “Events seem to be ordered into an ominous logic.” It repeated itself automatically and Stencil improved upon on it each time, placing emphasis on different words—“events seem”; “seem to be ordered”; “ominous logic”—pronouncing them differently, changing the “tone of voice” from sepulchral to jaunty: round and round and round. Events seem to be ordered into an ominous logic.”

And Benny Profane keeps getting thrown into situations full of coincidence, as if Life or some greater force is trying to teach him something about himself, but he's just so drat content with being discontent, he can't grow:

quote:

“A schlemihl is a schlemihl. What can you "make" out of one? What can one make out of himself? You reach a point, and Profane knew he had reached it, where you know how much you can and cannot do. But every now and again he got attacks of acute optimism.”

quote:

“Some of us are afraid of dying; others of human loneliness. Profane was afraid of land or seascapes like this, where nothing else lived but himself.”

But given this frame, even though characters may not change drastically from villain-to-hero or from weak to strong, when faced with their reality, they're able to at least understand themselves a little more:

quote:

“For that moment at least they seemed to give up external plans, theories, and codes, even the inescapable romantic curiosity about one another, to indulge in being simply and purely young, to share that sense of the world's affliction, that outgoing sorrow at the spectacle of Our Human Condition which anyone this age regards as reward or gratuity for having survived adolescence.”

This is just my reading, but I like (and believe) that Pynchon would be the kind of writer to write a post-modern novel about post-modern novels

quote:

“Time of course has showed the question up in all its young illogic. We can justify any apologia simply by calling life a successive rejection of personalities. No apologia is any more than a romance—half a fiction—in which all the successive identities are taken on and rejected by the writer as a function of linear time are treated as separate characters. The writing itself even constitutes another rejection, another “character” added to the past. So we do sell our souls: paying them away to history in little installments. It isn’t so much to pay for eyes clear enough to see past the fiction of continuity, the fiction of cause and effect, the fiction of a humanized history endowed with “reason.”

their writers

quote:

“It takes, unhappily, no more than a desk and writing supplies to turn any room into a confessional. This may have nothing to do with the acts we have committed, or the humors we do go in and out of. It may be only the room--a cube--having no persuasive powers of its own. The room simply is. To occupy it, and find a metaphor there for memory, is our own fault.”

and their readers

quote:

“What of Thought? The Crew had developed a kind of shorthand whereby they could set forth any visions that might come their way. Conversations at the Spoon had become little more than proper nouns, literary allusions, critical or philosophical terms linked in certain ways. Depending on how you arranged the building blocks at your disposal, you were smart or stupid. Depending on how others reacted they were In or Out. The number of blocks, however, was finite.
"Mathematically, boy," he told himself, "if nobody else original comes along, they're bound to run out of arrangements someday. What then?" What indeed. This sort of arranging and rearranging was Decadence, but the exhaustion of all possible permutations and combinations was death."

and finding beauty in the confusion.

quote:

“Could we have been so much in the midst of life? With such a sense of grand adventure about it all?”

quote:

“Life's single lesson: that there is more accident to it than a man can ever admit to in a lifetime and stay sane.”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've started Gravity's Rainbow and I think I enjoyed the first 50 pages of this more than the entirety of Inherent Vice.

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

Has anyone brought up the point that Trump is peak post-modernity yet? While it's nice to believe that politicians should be competent as well as have an appealing image, Trump's presidency seems to show that all that counts is the latter. When does the news just start being reality TV? A post-post-modern culture would just ban celebrities from running for office outright.

Wasn't the president character from Infinite Jest kinda like Trump? Change Gently's slogan to Make America Clean Again and boom, u got yourself a Trump.

almost there fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 12, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Electric Owl posted:

Has anyone brought up the point that Trump is peak post-modernity yet? While it's nice to believe that politicians should be competent as well as have an appealing image, Trump's presidency seems to show that all that counts is the latter.

That's hardly new. Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger were celebrities elected as governor of California mostly due to their fame, neither had any real prior political experience

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

Earwicker posted:

That's hardly new. Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger were celebrities elected as governor of California mostly due to their fame, neither had any real prior political experience

Trump isn't like those candidates and you know it. At least Schwarzenegger and Raegan had a consistent message. Many Americans are left in the situation now where they don't exactly know what they voted for even after the election. Peeps in D&D are slinging quotes from the man that support both sides of any one of his positions. The man can play tennis.

I see some ppl online say Trump's post-truth which if u ask me is the meatiest master narrative there is

And anyways, just because it isn't new doesn't make it not interesting dicknut

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Electric Owl posted:

Trump isn't like those candidates and you know it. At least Schwarzenegger and Raegan had a consistent message.

No he's not the same as those candidates but the phenomenon is largely the same. I was living in California during Schwarzenegger's election and entirely regardless of his message a shitload of people came out to vote for him because he's The Terminator. I gaurantee you the average Schwarzenegger voter at that time could not have described any of his policies, it was a total circus.

Electric Owl posted:

And anyways, just because it isn't new doesn't make it not interesting dicknut

Sure it's interesting, my point is that it's a common phenomenon and I don't see how it's "peak" post-modernism or even unique to the post-modern period. Politicians are getting better and better at manipulating the mass media, sure, but in general people rising to power based on their fame and personal charm instead of substantive ideas or competence is as old as politics itself.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 12, 2016

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

im srry i just thought it was cool and post modern and u guys were talking about post modernity and i just wanted to be cool like you guys

EDIT: did some thinking and I gotta say that what makes Trump's candidacy peak post-modernity over celebrities like Raegan or Arnie is probably the fact that Trump never claimed to be playing a character when he was on tv. Raegan played a cowboy and Arnie played a cybernetic death machine from the future but Trump didn't just play a businessman, he was one too. Trump as a person and brand exists outside the fictional sphere and on the labels of products and hotels people actually buy. Nobody since Don Quixote quite blurred the line between history and fiction so well.

almost there fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 12, 2016

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
the last three posters are banal and pompous fa-words who should be relegated to D and D

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

hog fat posted:

the last three posters are banal and pompous fa-words who should be relegated to D and D

I don't understand the hate. I'm just trying to point out that the US election has been like post-modern theatre in the post-modern thread. I even mentioned IJ so give me a break.

This oped piece hits on a lot of good points:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/09/27/clinton-vs-trump-modern-vs-postmodern/

quote:

Clinton vs. Trump: Modern vs. postmodern --Washington Post 09/27/16

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have very different but similarly complicated relationships with the truth. Trump treats the truth with contempt, Clinton with a feigned politeness. But these two modes of expression are nothing like each other. They are opposites, which is what made Monday night’s debate so revealing.

Clinton’s overriding aim in her public discourse is to avoid outright falsehood. She seems mainly intent not on telling the truth but on not saying anything obviously untrue. Clinton holds a traditional view of truth as something objectively knowable, and nearly all her utterances are calculated to avoid contradicting it. That’s not to say she has a high regard for the truth. It means simply that, in deceiving, Clinton acknowledges the truth as the criterion with which one must deal.

Trump's intent on subverting the truth, or what the political establishment calls the “truth,” as often and as brashly as he can. If he senses that most respected politicians and journalists regard something as true, he will attempt to contradict it. He doesn’t do this because he actually disagrees with whatever conventional truth he’s upending; he does it to signal his contempt for the power structure as it has come to exist in Washington and the news media.

What we witnessed on stage at Hofstra University, then, wasn’t just a debate between two presidential candidates. It was a debate between modernism and postmodernism.

Intellectual historians refer to the period from 1600 to 1945 (more or less) as the “modern” period. It’s always risky to generalize, but truth in the modern era was something objective and knowable, and knowable through material and scientific means (thus not through divine revelation). During the second half of the twentieth century, however, that view of truth was undermined in various ways. Poststructuralism in philosophy, abstraction in art, twelve-tone serialism in music, absurdist fiction in literature — all these things, variously categorized as “postmodernism,” posed direct challenges to the older “modern” view of truth.

I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say Hillary Clinton is essentially “modern” in her outlook and approach. She is a cagey politician who isn’t above the use of half-truths and weaselly word-level justifications to further her political ends. But for her, the truth is always there, even if it’s something to avoid facing or dance around or ignore altogether.

Donald Trump is our first full-on “postmodern” presidential candidate. Truth, for him, isn’t some unseen objective entity a responsible politician should refrain from crossing. If there is such a thing, “truth” is only rhetorical or rooted in perspective. The only important “truth” in Trump’s worldview is that the nation’s ruling elite consists largely of incompetents, racketeers and hacks, and they have not yet been moved aside and replaced with Donald J. Trump. Whatever he says in the service of that manifestly noble aim isn’t just excusable but good and right. Negotiating the perils of objective truth has nothing to do with it.

I don’t know how viewers will adjudicate Monday night’s debate, but as I watched I couldn’t help feeling Clinton’s modern-era version of truth looked feeble and helpless in the face of Trump’s postmodern onslaught. When Trump pressed Clinton on her contradictory statements about the Trans-Pacific Partnership — she has claimed she opposed it “from the very beginning” — Clinton was left to struggle impotently against the facts. Against the truth.

“You were totally in favor of it,” Trump said. “Then you heard what I was saying, how bad it is, and you said, I can’t win that debate.” Trump’s criticism is characteristically incorrect — Clinton changed her mind on TPP long before the 2016 campaign — but her weakness in the face of this criticism is significant. “Well, that’s just not accurate,” she said. “I was against it once it was finally negotiated and the terms were laid out. I wrote about that in — ”

“You called it the gold standard!” Trump interrupted.

Clinton tried to fight back, but she struggled futilely against that self-imposed burden, the truth. “Well, Donald,” she countered, “I know you live in your own reality, but that is not the facts. The facts are — I did say I hoped it would be a good deal, but when it was negotiated…”

Trump does not burden himself in this way. When asked why he was still questioning President Obama’s place of birth as recently as 2015, Trump first pointed a finger at Clinton supporters in the 2008 primary (that’s fair enough), but then claimed that he, Trump, was responsible for forcing Obama to produce his birth certificate. “I was the one that got him to produce the birth certificate. And I think I did a good job.” But of course the certificate was produced in 2011.

As so often during Trump’s 2016 campaign, plain empirical truth simply isn’t an impediment to whatever the candidate wants to say.

Trump’s rage against Washington’s power elite, his belief that today’s leaders are all nincompoops and criminals absolves him of any need to abide by the petty dictates of literal truth. He is the ironic, self-referential embodiment of the newer postmodern conception of truth. He is a joker, a clown, yes, but a strong and determined one — a Nietzschean Übermensch with ludicrous hair and excellent comic timing. Hillary Clinton, with her weak appeals to objective truth — “that’s just not accurate” — is no match.

For two generations or more, American liberals have cheered postmodern attitudes in art, literature, music and philosophy. Now it has entered politics, and it’s time to panic.

almost there fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 18, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Really consistently misspelling Reagan

Also the article is some high-school level misunderstanding of pretty much everything it's talking about.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone read George Saunders new Lincoln in the Bardo?

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I too am interested in anyone's reviews. Just finished Tenth of December and thoroughly enjoyed most of the stories. The man really gets into the heads of his characters.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Just finished. REAL good. Like Gaddis at his peak.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
While we're recommending things, check out Chimera by John Barth. Just read it for my book club and I was blown away by it. Check it out if you like re-imagined myths, layers of narration, and the author inserting multiple versions of himself into a story.

Currently in the middle of William H. Gass's The Tunnel and it is a beast.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Price Check posted:

While we're recommending things, check out Chimera by John Barth. Just read it for my book club and I was blown away by it. Check it out if you like re-imagined myths, layers of narration, and the author inserting multiple versions of himself into a story.

Currently in the middle of William H. Gass's The Tunnel and it is a beast.

I'm reading Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor right now (the recent Dalkey reprint with a nice black-and-white hummingbird watercolor on the cover). I just looked at an excerpt from Chimera and I'm completely blown away by how radically different the style is. He really expertly imitates the late-Restoration British style (think, I dunno, Laurence Sterne) in Sot-Weed, and I'm a bit shocked that the same guy could have written both of these.

The Tunnel is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to take a long vacation.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

at the date posted:

I'm reading Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor right now (the recent Dalkey reprint with a nice black-and-white hummingbird watercolor on the cover). I just looked at an excerpt from Chimera and I'm completely blown away by how radically different the style is. He really expertly imitates the late-Restoration British style (think, I dunno, Laurence Sterne) in Sot-Weed, and I'm a bit shocked that the same guy could have written both of these.

Great avatar.

I'm surprised, but not, that so many books that I have read are considered post-modern. When I was an English Literature major I was taught that Chinua Achebe was the first post-modernist writer but that A Passage to India could arguably be considered post-modern. That was about fifteen years ago, mind you.

Some of the books I've started to read but cannot finish include The Sot Weed Factor, Gravity's Rainbow, and Infinite Jest. The former two because :effort: and the latter because it sends me into crippling depression. I've gotten several hundred pages in at least four times and literally had suicidal urges, so I've accepted that I just can't finish it. I've read almost everything else DFW has written, though.

How about Cormac McCarthy? Blood Meridian is Biblical. It's as great a novel as Moby Dick, in my experience.

e: \/\/\/ the last time I tried to read Infinite Jest was before PK was published, and I'd forgotten about it - haven't gotten around to it.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 14, 2017

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You can read Pale King but not IJ?

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

at the date posted:

I had a teacher who maintained Sot-Weed is the great American novel. I haven't read it so I'm curious as to what sense it reads postmodern?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

hog fat posted:

I had a teacher who maintained Sot-Weed is the great American novel. I haven't read it so I'm curious as to what sense it reads postmodern?

Most obvious would probably be (1) the book-in-a-book The Marylandiad. Also (2) the studied, digressive antiplot borrowed from Tristram Shandy, (3) the pitch-perfect parody of what was already parodic, and (4) a jungle of irony both dramatic and situational.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I believe Barth to be the greatest living American writer. He's so incredibly underrated that it's disgusting.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The guy's underrated? and he's still alive?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Everybody who's read a Barth book all the way through seems to flip out over how good it is, so I don't think "underrated" is the right word so much as "under-read."

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

at the date posted:

Just finished the other day. In some sense now is the perfect time to read it. Gass basically lays out a road map for how something like the Alt-Right can become a dominant faction in a country. It also spends quite a bit of time on rural disaffection. And the parts about academic infighting are fun. All that plus the Germany sections of the book make for a compelling read.

However, 650+ pages of stream of consciousness writing just feels like way too much. It was easier to handle in a book the length of Omensetter's Luck. If you're a Gass fan already you'll probably enjoy at least most of it. If you've tried him before and didn't find him to your liking it's very unlikely that this one will change your mind.

Continuing the Postmodern kick with Carpenter's Gothic. About a third of the way through and it's a lot of fun. Reminiscent of A Frolic of His Own and the apartment scenes in JR. Gaddis is such a master of revealing things to the reader in a roundabout way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Here's Gass reading the bit I liked from The Tunnel.

• Locked thread