Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
OK I'm almost at the end of The Critics part of 2666 by Roberto Bolano. So far it is not really interesting me as much as I'd expected. Have any of you lot finished it and did it pick up? It seems very far up is own butt with these stupid literary snobs running around trying to track down this supposedly great German author (Archimboldi), doing a lot of navel gazing while ignoring their crippled colleague in a wheelchair. I need a really good recommendation to stick with this or its going in the book donation pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
The characters are OK but the story is really bland. I think you're on the money about it being a first draft. I'll move on I think.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Antwan3K posted:

It becomes a completely different book in each of the different parts. The most difficult part is definitely still ahead though... Butthen you cry at the end (didn't actually cry of course - we are after all in the postmodern age, but it's very moving)

I'll see how I go - any clues as to why it's more difficult later on?

Michael Chabon is an author who I find very accessible and has written some great stuff (The Yiddish Policemen's Union and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay) but I don't see his work being discussed here too often. He tends to write a lot on Jewish identity, with one of the plots in Kavalier and Clay involving a Golem being smuggled out of Europe. Yiddish Policemen's Union takes place in an alternate history where the Jewish people are settled in Alaska instead of Israel and it's a mishmash of detective and speculative fiction. I guess seeing as it's difficult to classify as one particular genre it could be considered Postmodern!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Antwan3K posted:

More difficult to keep reading because of extremely repetitive violence. It will become clear quite quickly when you start reading the part ('The Part about the Crimes').
It is quite clever to me how he manages to weave a story and develops characters inside of an elaborate - quite structured, mostly one murder per paragraph - detailing of murders in a town, but still you feel really weird when reading about serial killings so much that it just becomes noise. I still tried to read every girl's murder as an individual tragedy but it became a real chore.

Really? I had no idea the book went in that direction!

• Locked thread