Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Murakami does have the protagonist problem that a lot of authors have (How often is the protagonist a literature professor at a prestigious university considering adultery?), but his the things that happen around said character are pretty different. I haven't disliked anything I've read by him, and I thought that The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It certainly contains elements that would later be identified as post-modern, but that sort of distancing from the narrative wasn't uncommon.

Another famous example is Wuthering Heights, (much later novel, I know) which I don't think anyone would describe as post-modern, wherein we are reading the journal of a guy who is telling us the story he heard from his neighbors who is relating the story of someone who it turns out...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

blue squares posted:

Metafiction is a trick that postmodern authors used. It's not at all what made their works postmodern. Their ideology is. Read the OP

If you misunderstood my point, perhaps I didn't make it clearly enough.

Just because Don Quixote contains elements very common to later post modern novels isn't enough to make it postmodern, because postmodernism refers to a specific style that hadn't (couldn't have) been devised when Cervantes was codifying what we now call the novel. Just because it contains unreliable narrators, distancing worthy of Eco, a disjointed and sometimes hallucinatory narrative that deliberately meanders, etc. doesn't make it postmodern, and many of those elements show up in other novels throughout the intervening period without said novels being "properly" postmodern either.

However, if we choose to read it as a postmodern novel anyways, that can yield some interesting discussion.

(I agree with you, to try and make this as unambiguous as possible)

• Locked thread