Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

s7indicate3 posted:

I was wondering what were some goons feelings about Cervantes's Don Quixote being considered a post-modern novel? Is this just another way the stuffy literary establishment is trying to tack another gold-star on the forehead of the 400 y/o novel or do you think Cervantes' genius was genuinely timeless? (and all answers in b/w).

EDIT: the filthy grammarian who lives in my attic decided the edit tag was worth changing a single word

http://hispanlit.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/files/2011/06/Borges-Pierre-Menard.pdf

If we're divvying books up into bins then I think Quixote is probably better categorized as "satire" but Tristram Shandy defies categorization.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

s7indicate3 posted:

'Satire' is a genre and post-modernism is a cultural movement, they are not mutually exclusive. Tristam Shandy sounds rad. I never heard of it before now.

Well, post-modernism can refer to a lot of things; a cultural movement, a literary genre, a set of critical theories, etc. If we're unrooting it from a specific time period then that sortof inherently unroots the concepts from their cultural milieu -- we can't really argue that Quixote was written as a departure from early 20th century modernism, for example.

But yeah I don't want to die on this hill.

• Locked thread