Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Heliotropic posted:

PKD wrote about what might be called post modern societies - corporate states, virtual worlds, rampant undisguised neoliberalism - but his writing is simplistic, very pulpy, and in the service of telling the story above all else.

I actually just finished A Scanner Darkly yesterday after reading Ubik a year ago and came in to leave a note on PKD.

I liked A Scanner Darkly in particular for it's straight forward view on drug culture and what it's like being on the bottom rung, and is pretty accurate in that regard. The plot itself is straight forward but the way he navigates loss or overwritten identity in the framework of a detective story is pretty well done, especially in it's arcs of Robert Arctor playing at being a narc named Fred, losing scope and being JUST Fred, to losing it all and becoming a non-entity in a rehab clinic named Bruce.

Not the highest art but very entertaining and works well as a companion book. Also, I like the fact that PKD didn't feel comfortable writing a straightforward autobiography on his younger days, so his publisher helped put the sci-fi elements in to make it more his fare. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread