Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Help needed, postmodern thread. I'm well on my way to finishing the whole bibliography (well all the novels) of Gaddis this year but ran into a bit of snag with Recognitions. Namely, the copy I'm reading has a torn page, as you can see below.

http://imgur.com/WEhnOU0

I'm asking if some kind person in possession of an unravaged copy could scan pages 857 and 858 for me. I tried to find some previews or samples but could only find digital access to the beginning of the novel. So hook a reader up, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Thanks a bunch. Now just the final stretch of Recognitions and (the unfinished mess of?) Agapē Agape and I'm done with Gaddis. Well, done reading him, for now. It's been an absolute blast reading all his stuff back to back, although not in chronological order. Still it's interesting to see how his unique style evolved from Recognitions to JR to Frolic. I recommend everyone interested in pomo lit or just interesting and distinct voices to read at least A Frolic of His Own and JR. I think I may have to switch my favourite author from Nabokov (or Wallace, I guess) to Gaddis.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
^^^^^ E: Any recommendations where to start with Bernhard (in English (or Finnish))?

Actually there was a fleeting moment I almost thought that maybe, just maybe the tear was intentional. Especially because I hadn't read that far when I noticed it.

And I've read JR up to date (was fun) and I have the Atlantic Books Agape with included "other writings" that include Rush for 2nd Place and speeches and reviews and whole lot of whatnot.

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 18, 2015

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

blue squares posted:

I've yet to read any Gaddis. I'm not currently reading any fiction and have been feeling the need to get a novel going. I always thought it would be better to start with Recognitions but JR, from what I hear, is the better read.

I'd recommend to definitely start with JR or Frolic. I think they are the two most fun novels of his. Unless you really want to see his style evolve before your eyes.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
To anyone struggling with The Recognitions or just meaning to get into Gaddis, I highly recommend going with either JR or A Frolic of His Own first. They are both much more matured in style (a very unique and engaging style at that). I also think they are both better than Reg, with Frolic possibly being the best book ever written (don't shoot me).

E: And do take advantage of the official(?) Gaddis web site. It explains all the references that are as numerous as they are obscure. It really helped me enjoy Gaddis even more.

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 22, 2016

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Though the website's great I still attest that reading along with the guides is cheating.

I don't. Either you know/get the reference or you don't. But I do agree with trying to figure it out on your own first. That's part of the charm. So it's not like I advise anyone to stop at every obscure or hard to get part and immediately check the site. The way I did it was to read a chapter or few and then check what I missed. Well at least with Recognitions. When I was reading Frolic + JR I had no idea such a site existed.

So actually now I'm not completely sure anymore if you should do this. If you are not the type to re-read stuff, at the very least check the annotations after you've finished, maybe even check them periodically during the reading. Heck, try it out, see what it feels like to you. In any case, don't worry about "cheating". It's your enjoyment. Maximize it your own preferred way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Yeah don't get me wrong, Gaddis taught me to enjoy just letting go and go with the flow even though I'm not always entirely sure who's talking or what's even happening. I learned to trust that all would be made clear eventually. And when it often wasn't, I learned not to be such a pedantic completionist and just enjoy the prose.

You know the more I analyze this, the more I feel you should just let the text take you where ever without external sources. Then again, I did enjoy Recog a lot with the references handy.

So once again, try what works for you, but don't feel intimitated if you're not always quuite sure what's going on. It's part of the process.

• Locked thread