Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nothing sways my opinion on a book more than insightful commentary like "it's a piece of poo" and "it's just bad". House of Leaves was on my reading list but I won't bother with it now, thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

blue squares posted:

Postmodern thought questions both reason and progress, and rejects what Jean-Francois Lyotard termed, in his seminal work The Postmodern Condition, "meta-narratives," those grand explanatory schemes such as Christianity or capitalism that claim to account for the entirety of human history and the human condition. Postmodernism rejected even the notion of the autonomous subject or "self" as a sociolinguistic construction. In other words, Postmodernism challenged the very foundations of Western philosophy.

Yeah, one of the problems I have with the employment of postmodernist critical theory is that it allows one to just crawl up their own rear end rhetorically, like a stoner who answers everything with "but what if that was just like, a construct, maan". And Noam Chomsky agrees with me, so that's that :clint:

I really like postmodern stories and art, though :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Boatswain posted:

I've got no idea what you are talking about when you say postmodern critical theory? Isn't all of it postmodern as it is read and practiced, or you divide critical theory into specific periods?

I'm commenting more on the academic side of postmodernism, which isn't entirely separable from pomo lit since it's often academics who write about it. It's kind of a derail though, so maybe never mind.

• Locked thread