Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

I never understood the definition of postmodernism and every time I think I do I encounter a book that I'm surprised is (or is not) considered postmodernistic. For example, Eco states that the Name of the Rose is postmodernistic but I don't really understand why since it has little similarities with Cat's Cradle, Catch-22, White Noise, etc. I also assume that all Magical Realism is part of postmodernism but I have no idea if this is actually the case. The wikipedia page has a lot of words but makes the distinction with other genres look extremely vague.

That makes it a bit more difficult for me to recommend good books here, because I don't know if they fit in this thread. So I'll ask a question instead: which of the following great books would you consider postmodernistic?
- Blindness by Jose Saramago (I consider this one, simply because I consider it magical realism)
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- Deathless by Catherynne M Valente
- The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
- Ubik by Pihilp K Dick
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Side note: Vonnegut deserves more praise. Cat's Cradle is the best book of his to start with in my opinion.

There's a few different postmodern y movements and a lot of disagreement about what it actually is. I personally wouldn't say Name of the ROse is very postmodern, the semiotics stuff is because postmodernism is big on semiotics and there's a lot of lovely Borges stuff going on but ehhhhh.Postmodernist literature is really anything yuou want it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

builds character posted:

I understand this is a serious literature thread, but mcsweeney's is wonderful for this, if nothing else.
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/black-shoe-diary-the-daily-musings-of-shuruku-umezawa-junior-salesman-ninja

Very serious postmodernism thread with no tangents allowed

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

What/'s good by Barthelme?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Names of aurthors that a fun to say out loud: gaddis, delillo

THomas Ruggles Pynchon

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The first chapter of Mason & Dixon is really good I'll keep everyone updated.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Chapter two is pretty short and isn't as good as chapter one, but it did a good job of introducing Mason and Dixon.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Falstaff Infection posted:

Yo, can we call House of Leaves postmodern? I know it's kind of like "babby's first metatextualism," but gimmicky as it is it's a hell of a ride and it was an awesome stepping stone for me into Pynchon/DFW.

It's a piece of poo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

People hate it because it's a piece of poo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Nothing sways my opinion on a book more than insightful commentary like "it's a piece of poo" and "it's just bad". House of Leaves was on my reading list but I won't bother with it now, thanks goons!

Sorry, it's a piece of poo, on account of the bad writing.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Jerome Agricola posted:

^^^^^ E: Any recommendations where to start with Bernhard (in English (or Finnish))?

I think The Loser is meant to be his best thing but I haven't read it myself :stoat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

http://hispanlit.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/files/2011/06/Borges-Pierre-Menard.pdf

If we're divvying books up into bins then I think Quixote is probably better categorized as "satire" but Tristram Shandy defies categorization.

My copy of Tristram Shandy categorises Don QUixote, Tristram Shandy and a few other books as part of the "literary Saturnalian tradition" which is a great phrase I have never heard any other person use

• Locked thread