Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

While not normally called postmodern, I'm a big Raymond Carver fan and his style is postmodern. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love is one of the best books ever written. I love his sparse sentences and I actually try to write academic works in a Carver-esque manner. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

One of the things about DFW that's always interested me is the fact that he didn't consider himself a postmodernist. He admits to being inspired by / drawn to the writing of postmodernists (as I recall, he specifically mentioned Pynchon, DeLillo, and Barthelme), but claimed that postmodernism had "run its course."

Because of this, I find it kind of difficult to categorize his writing in a way that's actually useful. His style definitely has postmodern elements and influences, but the actual content is pretty divergent. Where postmodernism is usually associated with irony and the reappraisal of traditional values, DFW isn't afraid to be sincere, to say that sometimes those pat AA posters are right.

Like, DFW says this about the irony:

Which, to me, feels at least partially like a critique of postmodernism itself. A lot of DFW's writing seems to share more in common with modernists than postmodernists, and then you have the whole issue of trying to pin down what, exactly, post-postmodernism even means, beyond "a response to postmodernism."

I'm curious to hear what others have to think about it.

DFW is New Sincerity

• Locked thread