Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I never understood the definition of postmodernism and every time I think I do I encounter a book that I'm surprised is (or is not) considered postmodernistic. For example, Eco states that the Name of the Rose is postmodernistic but I don't really understand why since it has little similarities with Cat's Cradle, Catch-22, White Noise, etc. I also assume that all Magical Realism is part of postmodernism but I have no idea if this is actually the case. The wikipedia page has a lot of words but makes the distinction with other genres look extremely vague.

That makes it a bit more difficult for me to recommend good books here, because I don't know if they fit in this thread. So I'll ask a question instead: which of the following great books would you consider postmodernistic?
- Blindness by Jose Saramago (I consider this one, simply because I consider it magical realism)
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- Deathless by Catherynne M Valente
- The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
- Ubik by Pihilp K Dick
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Side note: Vonnegut deserves more praise. Cat's Cradle is the best book of his to start with in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

MourningView posted:

I feel like Kurt Vonnegut is about as close to universially well liked as an author can get. He's great but I think everyone knows that. But maybe I just only hang out with the sorts of people who would read Vonnegut.

Here in Europe nobody knows who Vonnegut is, it's extremely annoying. Even people that often read literature.

• Locked thread