Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The obvious answer is McSweeney's, although some of their pieces/authors can disappear a bit up their own asses. But there is a lot of great work in there, especially the earlier issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Rereading Gravity's Rainbow with that companion guide to catch all those sweet refs I didn't get the first time.

Weisenburger? Oh man, you're in for a treat. It'll blow your drat mind how carefully TRP constructed the plot and timeline. Let us know how it goes...

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Not liking Vonnegut will immediately put someone into the "untrustworthy and probably dangerous" zone for me, even though he is far from my favorite author and I rarely re-read him. You get the sense he was about as good and decent a man as it is possible to be -- although admittedly I know little about his personal life (please don't ruin him for me if you know better).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Earwicker posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this?

He may have been a decent man or whatever but I don't see how not being into his writing makes anyone untrustworthy or dangerous.

That's a joke, son.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ultrachrist posted:

I read The Recognitions last month (my first Gaddis), and it was fine I guess. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the DFW-Pynchon-DeLillo trifecta. I wrote about it here but generally I found it enforcing an extremely repetitive point that is somewhat difficult to connect with nowadays. But of course the bar and party conversations were great. I laughed out loud often.

Thanks for the link, I've been staring at Gaddis for a year or so now but haven't managed to get past the third chapter.

quote:

Also I have no idea what postermodernism truly means, find any explanation classified by authorial intent unconvincing and useless, and have no idea where it intersects with self-referential meta-fiction (Don Quixote part 2) or experiments in form, but Volume 3 of Danielewski's The Familiar series just came out and you might call that postmodern, maybe. I will be shocked if he makes it to Volume 26, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The story is engaging enough and what he does with imagery, typography, and space is enchanting.

26?!? I have all three so far and just began #1 yesterday. I had no idea he was claiming to plan 26. Maybe this isn't such a good thing to start reading until the year 2040 or whatever.

• Locked thread