Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

blue squares posted:

How about short fiction? Are there any good literary journals that are consistently publishing stories that are "Postmodern" or at least somewhat avant garde, DFW/Pynchonish type stuff? I've done some googling but didn't find anything to go on? I don't expect much response since I don't think many people read enough journals to know.

The American Reader published postmodern stuff pretty consistently. Stuff like this: http://theamericanreader.com/the-goldilocks-variations/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Fellwenner posted:

I've been reading through Gaddis this year and am enjoying him quite a bit. His are not the easiest of books to get into, no dialogue is attributed, time skips aren't advertised, telephone conversations are one-sided. Gaddis intended this to force a collaboration with the reader, so that the personality of the characters is drawn out and created through the reading and eventual greater understanding of them. It took a bit to get used to at first, but isn't really a problem for me now. The main challenge now is simply seeing and understanding the references and allusions crammed into the books, but I suppose that's what re-reads are for.

Art and the corrupting influence of the various facets of society is the major theme running through all of the novels. In each book you'll find art or an artist devolving, distorted, corrupted within the swathe of characters and virtually non-stop dialogue.

JR is my favorite, but Carpenters Gothic is probably the easiest to get into. It's the shortest and has a more limited cast of characters.

And since we're talking about Delillo, Gaddis preferred Libra to White Noise...

Gaddis is great. My preference is for funny books and his books are very, very funny. You didn't mention A Frolic of His Own, but that's my favorite one.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Fly McCool posted:

I don't mean to be naive, but surely this is parody?

In what sense?

• Locked thread