Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
Yo, can we call House of Leaves postmodern? I know it's kind of like "babby's first metatextualism," but gimmicky as it is it's a hell of a ride and it was an awesome stepping stone for me into Pynchon/DFW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I enjoyed the Navidson Record sections but I still gave up about halfway through the book because I disliked the Jonny Truant sections so much (it felt like it was trying too hard to be "edgy" in a Chuck Palahniuk kind of way and I don't like his style either).

Yeah, a lot of the Johnny Truant stuff is a bit much with the whole "I'm a street walkin' cheeta with a heart full of napalm straight outta Bukowski!" vibe, but the Navidson parts were incredibly absorbing. There were passages there that were more viscerally disturbing than nearly anything I've ever read, with the possible exception of Blood Meridian and J.G. Ballard's Crash. Anyhow, I know a ton of people hate on HoL, and that's their prerogative of course, but I can't help feeling that there's just a bit of genre snobbery underlying the backlash.

Then again I was a freshman in college last time I read it, so maybe if I did a reread I'd be rolling my eyes the whole time, dunno.

Falstaff Infection fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 7, 2014

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Price Check posted:

Everyone should read DeLillo - Underworld (especially that breathtaking opening baseball chapter) is great and Libra is even better. Ratner's Star should definitely get brought up in this discussion as well. The Names, Running Dog, Great Jones Street...DeLillo writes very smart, challenging books. I personally think that White Noise isn't a great representation of what he's all about.

Also, yeah, that Baseball chapter is one of the best things I've ever read. Like, holy poo poo-- "He speaks in your voice, American, and there's a shine in his eye that's halfway hopeful." If you don't have time for a "big read" like Underworld, you should still just read the first 50 or so pages. They hold up perfectly well on their own as a sort of dream-like, historically portentous short story.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Earwicker posted:

There are a lot of much worse books out there than House of Leaves and parts of it are decently entertaining, but the writing is indeed bad and really the whole thing is just Borges fanfiction. Which I guess is somewhat unique.

All literature is fanfiction, though. Shakespeare is Holinshed fanfiction. Cormac McCarthy is Faulkner fanfiction.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

blue squares posted:

This is stupid and so is the assertion that House of Leaves is Borges fanfiction. I'm not commenting on the quality of the work but trying to discount artistic influences as just "fanfiction" is so silly.

I'm not discounting artistic influences though. House of Leaves was certainly inspired by Borges (which is what I understood "fanfiction" to mean in this context), as were thousands of other works. My point was pretty much the same as yours-- just because one work is heavily influenced by another is no reason to dismiss it, because all art is a result of its creators' influences. Of course, some works are more or less derivative than others, but while there are certainly problems with House of Leaves, I wouldn't say that being too derivative of Borges is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Earwicker posted:

Shakespeare is of course extremely derivative as well and borrowed entire plots and concepts wholesale from other sources. But the difference is that he is a very good, clever, and entertaining writer. Danielewski is not.

Haha yeah, I'm not gonna sit here and try to argue that Danielewski, a reasonably talented pop-lit writer, is on par with Shakespeare, the greatest poet and playwright in the English language. And I take your point about how execution is the most important element-- that even something super derivative can be good if it's done well. I guess I just disagree with you about Danielewski's prose, except maybe the Johnny Truant sections, which can get fairly unbearable.

• Locked thread