Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

this is a great thread; I love this type of stuff and several posts in here have turned me on to some new authors I wasn't previously familiar with.

I'm curious what you folks think of haruki murakami: does he fit into this category? any authors who haven't already been mentioned who have a similar vibe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if it's a measure of postmodernalousnessity buy I feel he keeps writing the same book over and over.

i have heard that said, yeah. i'm reading my first book by him ("Hard-boiled Detective and The End of the World") and enjoying it quite a bit. from talking to friends who have read several of his other books but not this one, i think it's possible that this book may be the odd one out, as it doesn't seem to match the themes they've described, but i won't be able to say for sure until i experience the other books myself or someone who's read them all can give their opinion here.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

A human heart posted:

Every murakami book is about the cool japanese man protagonist listening to albert ayler records, drinking cutty sark and having a sexy teen want to gently caress him.

this described the chapters i read last night *to a t* so i think you're on to something here

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Mr. Squishy posted:

Every author just writes variations on the same book.

i feel like this insight metaphorically applies to life as a whole

• Locked thread