Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

at the date posted:

I'm reading Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor right now (the recent Dalkey reprint with a nice black-and-white hummingbird watercolor on the cover). I just looked at an excerpt from Chimera and I'm completely blown away by how radically different the style is. He really expertly imitates the late-Restoration British style (think, I dunno, Laurence Sterne) in Sot-Weed, and I'm a bit shocked that the same guy could have written both of these.

The Tunnel is sitting on my shelf waiting for me to take a long vacation.

Great avatar.

I'm surprised, but not, that so many books that I have read are considered post-modern. When I was an English Literature major I was taught that Chinua Achebe was the first post-modernist writer but that A Passage to India could arguably be considered post-modern. That was about fifteen years ago, mind you.

Some of the books I've started to read but cannot finish include The Sot Weed Factor, Gravity's Rainbow, and Infinite Jest. The former two because :effort: and the latter because it sends me into crippling depression. I've gotten several hundred pages in at least four times and literally had suicidal urges, so I've accepted that I just can't finish it. I've read almost everything else DFW has written, though.

How about Cormac McCarthy? Blood Meridian is Biblical. It's as great a novel as Moby Dick, in my experience.

e: \/\/\/ the last time I tried to read Infinite Jest was before PK was published, and I'd forgotten about it - haven't gotten around to it.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread