Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I've been reading through Gaddis this year and am enjoying him quite a bit. His are not the easiest of books to get into, no dialogue is attributed, time skips aren't advertised, telephone conversations are one-sided. Gaddis intended this to force a collaboration with the reader, so that the personality of the characters is drawn out and created through the reading and eventual greater understanding of them. It took a bit to get used to at first, but isn't really a problem for me now. The main challenge now is simply seeing and understanding the references and allusions crammed into the books, but I suppose that's what re-reads are for.

Art and the corrupting influence of the various facets of society is the major theme running through all of the novels. In each book you'll find art or an artist devolving, distorted, corrupted within the swathe of characters and virtually non-stop dialogue.

JR is my favorite, but Carpenters Gothic is probably the easiest to get into. It's the shortest and has a more limited cast of characters.

And since we're talking about Delillo, Gaddis preferred Libra to White Noise...

William Gaddis posted:

Dear Don DeLillo.

Why in the world have I waited till the day your Libra gets its nihil obstat from Christopher Lemondrop to send you a note. It showed up in galleys in New York 2 or 3 months ago when things were ghastly (health) about the time I saw you, I looked into it then & should certainly have written without waiting to read it through because my response was immediate, it is a terrific job. I don’t know all your work & also hesitate to say to any writer whatever comparing one of his works to another but in this case must tell you I find it far beyond White Noise. Obviously if we take our work seriously we do not try to clone one novel to its predecessor so comparisons are indeed odious, & equally obviously the constantly shattered & reknit & fragmented again style of this new book appeals to me rather more than the linear narrative, when it’s always 9 o’clock in the morning at 9 am & 3pm at 3 in the afternoon if you see what I mean; but the hard cover arrived here a couple of weeks ago & I’ve just read it & confirmed all my earlier impression, its marriage of style & content—that essential I used to bray about to ‘students’ in those grim days—is marvelously illustrated here I think & especially as it comes together at the end as we know it must, speaking of the ‘nonfiction’ novel if we must but why must we, except that concept does embrace the American writer’s historic obsession getting the facts down clear (from “tells me more about whales than I really want to know” to Dreiser tapemeasuring Clyde’s cell at Sing Sing, or Jack London’s “Give me the fact, man, the irrefragable fact!”) & again one marvels at what you’ve marshaled in this impressive piece of work. We’ll be out of the country for August but may hope to see you in town in the fall, meanwhile high marks.

best regards,

WG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

dogcrash truther posted:

Gaddis is great. My preference is for funny books and his books are very, very funny. You didn't mention A Frolic of His Own, but that's my favorite one.

I haven't read it yet. That one's up next!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Possibly my fave too, though I've yet to reread JR. It's the one that Franzen picked on in that loving awful New Yorker article where he renounces all this, which just goes to show quite how bad he is. It's also one of the books that I want to recommend to the folks asking for unreliable narrators as what's actually going on in the story is concealed from you. My understanding of why his bogus law-suit is rewarded is copied from an essay in Hints and Guesses, a book of Gaddis criticism which also spoils such mysteries as why did she die at the end of Carpenter's Gothic.

So you're reading background material by/about Gaddis, anything else you'd recommend? I've got to read Frolic and Agape first, but Hints and Guesses looks interesting.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Reading Frolic of His Own and Oscar's play is just a trial for me. I'm sure there are allusions and junk that I need to pay attention to, but it's boring and I kind of just want to get to more judgments, because the lawyer/legalese stuff is amazing.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I read it while watching football and such which I don't normally do, and Oscar mentioned coming up on Act 3, so hopefully it's over soon. It was just a jarring experience going from the brilliance of the statue opinion to blargh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's necessary to the book, and you need to have it there exactly for it to be legally deconstructed later on, but it's not that great. Gaddis was just too drat thrifty to throw anything out.

I finished Frolic a bit ago. Ended really strong. I still think the play, necessary as it is, is the weak point of the book. Perfectly captured life and fantastic judgments otherwise.

Really pissed me off that we never got the final decision on the sculpture fiasco.

• Locked thread