Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

And it looks like I've caught up! I was mostly interested in the alterations to the SRW gameplay, because I know very little about Touhou. But these two games (and probably the third as well) are crafted with so much passion and look so fun that I'm enjoying the story and character bits anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

PCB is the only Touhou game I played (more or less) at length and whose plot and characters I can remember by name. The Saigyou Ayakashi event stuck with me as a really cool take on spell cards for your final boss. So I was looking forward to seeing the Sanbondo SRW treatment of PCB events. I only followed this live for the last stretch, but thanks for the LP. I guess I'll have to play these games myself now!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh hey nice to see this back! :toot:

So wait those three attacks are all of Suika's repertoire? And her finisher consists of jumping on your head? I guess when you hit like a freight train you don't need to get fancy but that's weird after all the hype.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It looks like you might be able to squeeze two 2.0's in there so I'll vote Meiling leaving you at 1.5

You're welcome!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is what it feels like to read a SRW LP without having watched a single Gundam series other than Wing or G, isn't it?

I thought the scene was cool and Subterranean Animism (which I know jack poo poo about) looks very interesting and the antagonists seem pretty menacing by Touhou standards. You three are doing an awesome job with this LP, it is pretty neat to see it transform into a translation patch and get a look inside the .dat files while at it.

The faster pace has been doing a very good job building hype too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Clarste posted:

Out of curiosity, how much does it make sense?

Enough, at least by anime/SRW storytelling standards. It is just strange to be on the side that doesn't know the broad strokes of the story and characters to guess at what is going to happen next for once. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Its been a while since we saw them do anything so I'll go ahead and toss in Patchouli leaving 4.5

Also Nazrin is great. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If the Prismriver's faces look a little weird during the cutin it might be because Aquarion's animation is so low quality that the SRW cutins often look better than those of the real show.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have no idea what those acronym names mean but I'm excited over Maximum Break Touhous!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Well I know which route I am rooting for in this game now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Also as a side note, I really, really love this chapter because it's so great! Its inspiration (ZEUTH vs ZEUTH in SRW Z) is really cool conceptually, but kind of hamstrung by the game design and the plot to be a bunch of samey robots yelling "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!" at each other. Here, everyone is fighting each other because that is just what they do. The danmaku fields really make everyone stand out, the conversations are actually pretty great, and while the chapter's not that hard on Normal it lets you kind of pick your own difficulty by giving you the option of finishing off Reimu/Marisa whenever you want.

I was disappointed about this, actually. For all the :effort: of the PCB arc, at least it was just following a script. Here they could have gone all-out with something fun and interesting but it was just fighting for the sake of fighting, while in the middle of an incident. I get that's just how Gensokyo folks just roll but it comes across as lazy to me at least. The gameplay does look infinitely more interesting than its SRW equivalent but that goes without saying.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You are using the wrong satellite cannon BGM section. :colbert:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Fantasy Nature's animation looks like it really wanted to be Cosmo Nova but, because of :effort:, there's a bright light and some damage instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

drat. This game is so much better than the first two at setting a mood, it makes you forget that everybody is a godly immortal anime girl.

Also Okuu does 50k+ damage with a non-cutscene attack holy gently caress. Why isn't SRW breaking will limits for bosses already?

Assuming we don't get another chapter to fight Koishi, I'm looking forward to the summary of SA and how this game differs from it.

• Locked thread