Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad that I managed to finish reading the LP for the first game before this began. For a fangame this looks absolutely amazing. It's kind of astounding how much effort must have been put into this, if you remove the Touhou elements it almost looks like it could be an actual retail game. Which is not something that can be said for any other fan project that I have ever seen. Sanbondo even managed to make a pretty good story out of EOSD, which is not something I ever thought i'd say about a Touhou game. So, consider me excited for seeing where this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Look at it this way. You've already made more progress than any other translation project has.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was wondering what they were going to do for the Aki sisters since there's not much too them and they ended up giving them potato bullets. That's perfect. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

The fact that there's a 6 month gap in the middle of the game makes the whole thing even weirder, honestly.
Personally, I had excepted her to do some more maneuvering in the background of a couple games before finally coming into the spotlight for the third or fourth game. Having the entirety of MoF at the very beginning of the second game just makes the whole thing feel pointless. Why'd they even bother with Sanae the first time around? It's not foreshadowing it it just happens immediately.

I don't think it was meant to be foreshadowing though. I feel like the way they're making the games is to first get the background details of a few Touhou titles out of the way and have them appear proper in the next game. FMW E had the beginnings of MOF and PCB with the Sanae stuff, and with Youmu studying for a way to make cherry blossoms bloom. And this game looks like it sets up for UFO and IN by having Nazrin and Mokou show up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's good to see that Sakuya's character development from her story in FMW E seems to have stuck. Her characterisation for most of the first game kind of bothered me and it looks like she's become a more fun character now.

Also, Way of Avici looks like a really fun ability, and yet potentially nightmare-inducing if Komachi is ever battled as a boss in a POFV retelling.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 26, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just realised that in Komachi's list of skills guard is mentioned twice. Was the second one meant to be a different skill, or did you just repeat it accidentally?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh. It's weird that Mokou starts weak and takes a while to get powerful. If anything you'd think she'd start pretty overpowered, considering she's an extra stage boss. All of her personal skills look really interesting though.

Also, it's strange to see Reimu angsting about not being a good enough shrine maiden. I know self-doubt is one of the easiest ways to have character development, but it seems really forced when Reimu's the one being so self-conscious.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HGH posted:

If it's not directly apparent, Mokou basically just said she eats birds for breakfast. It's a little reference to one time Mokou threatened Aya away from annoying her by saying she owned a grill.

Actually, I think it's more of a reference to Mokou's bio in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense where Akyuu states that the only description Mokou ever gives about herself is "A health nut that runs a yakitori stand". :eng101:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Alice also has Hourai dolls, and if they want to go old school they can let her open her grimoire.

She can already summon Hourai dolls, I think it's more likely they'll give her something with Titania or Goliath. Though they could do the grimoire, considering Makai will be a location as part of UFO. On that note it's strange to see them adapting UFO before SA unless they plan on cramming that in as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Did you make a music link for the Aki Sister's combination attack? It sounded different to their usual themes.

Also, i'm glad that Komachi is going with Reimu's group because she has been pretty great so far and should, at least, provide some good interactions with the two mopers. Reimu's current attitude is still pretty annoying though and Mokou is not being much better. I know these issues will likely be fixed with the power of friendship and Reimu utterly annihilating Sanae but the writing for this particular development has not been very strong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Credit to Sanbondo though for actually giving the Aki sisters some flavour (har har).

They're usually right next to Medicine in the list of 'Most Forgotten Touhous.'

You'd think Medicine would be more memorable, since she is easily the most frustrating and annoying opponent in PoFV. :argh:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, so they're having Sanae be visited by a mysterious voice in her dreams as well. I guess they might be pushing her as a third PC then? Sakuya and Youmu don't seem to have gotten anything implying they'll be important to the plot outside of their games, so it's a bit strange.

I agree that there really needs to be more variety with the conversation themes, especially since the ones Sanbondo added for this game are really good. A lot of the ones from the first game were kinda meh, but i'm pretty sure out of the new conversation tracks there's not a single one I dislike. I didn't mention it before but the Night Sakura remix from the prologue is one of my favourite arranges from the game.

Also, about who likes Hina. I think the designers might, considering how she gets a new theme and a new attack in the next game. (At least I assume it's a new attack I haven't played it, but why would it have been in the trailer otherwise)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just noticed that the last update said you were no longer on break. Does that mean that the LP is going on hiatus or that the update schedule will need to change?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HGH posted:

Anyway, knowing what the real Nitori is like nowadays all this drama is kinda silly.

Well, this game came out after Subterranean Animism so it's not as if Nitori being a huge rear end in a top hat was unknown at the time. She spends most of that game ordering Marisa to beat up random youkai and unlike virtually everyone else Nitori didn't want to stop the evil spirits or anything, she just wanted Marisa to kidnap a crow so that she could be the first Kappa to have a taste of Nuclear Power. I'm kind of surprised she isn't more of a jerk in this game since Sanbondo is usually pretty spot-on with their characterisations. I guess they just thought there were too many jerks in the game already, and thought she'd play a better role as a nicer character?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't read the update yet but i'll throw you a bone. Let's bring Keine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, it doesn't feel too different from the dialogue in SRW games, at least from the LP's i've read. But I still can't pay attention through all of the meaningless side-character conversations, in both games. There's a lot of it and I can get the gist of the conversation even if I skip every third line or so.

On another note, this update has reminded me that I should try and track down the ost's that came with the three fairies stories. I really like all of their themes in this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irisize posted:

Then Elly gets to come along with her. 12.5 counting Sunny

And did Reimu just make her entire characterization for the past forever useless like that?

Only for the past few chapters of this game. And suddenly deciding to stop caring about everything other than beating people up is rather in-character for her.

Edit: ignore me I missed that you were forcing Marisa. Komachi it is bringing the total to 8.5

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 13, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Komachi, making it 7.0

Also, once Sanae becomes a party member can you make her boss theme her player theme instead of her usual one? It's much better.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 11, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

what the hell is this team

You should be thankful that we are making you use at least one of the Three Fairies each map, as they are cool. :colbert:

Also,

BlitzBlast posted:

This is the big moment. Once we're done, how about we go to the human village and get drunk?
I am glad Sanbondo understands that Komachi is the coolest character. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thanks for the LP Blitz. It's a shame you don't have the time to finish it but you've still made what is probably the most complete translation the game's got. You've convinced me to get the game if I ever actually get off my rear end and get back to studying since I don't think i've got enough focus to play a game I can't read.

BlitzBlast posted:

Notable songs:
Brand New Wind (Sanae's player theme, based off REALIZE from Gundam SEED)
The Snow White Angel of Spring (Rally) (Lily White's second theme, based off Fallen White Angel)
The Netherworld's Prism Phantoms (The Prismrivers' combined theme. Sadly, unlike their attack animations, this doesn't reference Aquarion.)
Our Hearts Still Shine Brightly (The Three Fairies' combined theme, based off Soul of Steel)
As Decisive as a Battlefield (Youmu's boss theme)
Above the Gorgeous Cherry Blossoms (Yuyuko's map theme)
The Ayakashi Sheds Spring (Final map theme)

I can upload other songs if you want, but those are the best ones.

Also, you're listing the best songs and you forget the track that plays during Resurrection Butterfly. For shame. (I also really like Yuyuko's regular battle theme. Though it sounds like it might not be so good as a battle track.)

Clarste posted:

Poor Sanae always gets left out.

Sanae's basically a god in training, she doesn't count yet. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

9. I originally beat 34 Lunatic by abusing the Three Fairies' ridiculous array of defensive spirits. Between two Alerts, Grit, Guard, and Trust, it is basically impossible for them to die. So they just spent the last few turns running away from Ran and that was the end of it.

And you were complaining about always using them. Fairy supremacy. :smug:

It's strange to hear that they didn't do much with PCB since I always thought of it as one the games with the most backstory, so I thought they'd be able to extrapolate more from it. Although the backstory is pretty much, "Yuyuko has a ridiculously tragic past. Except she forgot it because she doesn't give a gently caress." Does Yuyuko at least speak entirely in obtuse metaphors that not-so-subtly insult everyone around her, because one of the things I was most interested in about the LP was seeing Yuyuko's dialogue translated since considering her lines in the actual games it seems like it'd be hell.

Also, if anyone is interested in the attack animations for the rest of the game this channel has most of them I think. I suggest at least looking at Yuyuko's, she has neat dynamic kills.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Yuyuko pretty much just ignores you and rambles to herself. Could be obtuse insults though, I was just skimming it.

Yuyuko rambling to herself about Tea is how she trolled Suika and just about everyone else in iamp, so probably.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, what's even the point of adapting iamp if you're not going to have Suika poo poo-talk absolutely everyone involved.Oh well, at least it gave an excuse for them to arrange one of the best Touhou themes, even though I think the original "Missing Power" is better.

Also, it's nice that they're giving Mokou and Komachi a plotline of sorts since they're not really connected to the games that are being adapted, it gives them something to do.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

And no, FMW3 didn't give her more stuff.

That's actually really disappointing. If she doesn't get more stuff in SA then she probably won't get any more stuff at all, which is a shame since she's a pretty prominent character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But Suika is cooler.

And Meiling still needs to fight a Giant Catfish within her dreams, so there's still hope for her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Glazius posted:

Look, let's be honest here. Suika would last one, maybe two, rounds of being a cool boss fight before she just said gently caress it and brawled with everyone.

You act like a drunken brawl would not have been an amazing boss fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh sweet a double update. Now that you've shown off Sanae's player theme can you have her finisher theme replace it? It's a lot better.

Also, is this the first time this song's been played? Because it's one of my favourite tracks on the OST and probably the best of the conversation tracks, Night Sakura just makes for pretty atmospheric music.

Anyway i'm voting for Komachi leaving us with 12.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

それは実際にあなたがオープニングクロール後にゲームで聞いて非常に最初のことだ。

Both located target of wind はいいですが、BRAND NEW WINDもかなり良いので、タフな幸運です。 :colbert:

To each their own I guess. I still think Proof of the Winds Bond is the superior track though, but maybe that's because I just like Sane's boss theme more than her stage theme in general.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, is it just me or is the narrative they're going for with Alice back in PC-98 kinda strange? She met all 4 playable characters from Mystic Square and apparently got acquainted with them all well enough to actually know them pretty well particularly Marisa and apparently also had Yuuka as a strange fan who was trying to learn magic from her? The Makai part of FMW 4 is certainly going to be pretty interesting at least. And am I right in assuming that Marisa's thing about Mima is the arc she'll deal with this game since Reimu had her whole self-confidence thing in MOF?

Also,

Nazrin posted:

The other girls probably aren't too happy with this, either...

Nazrin, from what I understand about Touhou canon the other girls are stuck in hell so they've probably got more important things to worry about.

(And Yuyuko is not talking entirely in bad metaphors and trolling the hell out of everyone in the vicinity. Has Sanbondo even played a Touhou game?)

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 21, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Yuyuko didn't really start her trolling career until later.

Yuyuko spends the extra story of PCB shirking her duties, making fun of Youmu and selling out her best friend's first-hand-Woman for shits and giggles. Yuyuko has been Gensokyo's top troll from the beginning.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ardeem posted:

Huh, I wonder what they're going to do with the plot? Yuka didn't vanish for a few years in this timeline, so instead of "What the hell is up with all the flowers and ghosts?" won't the default assumption be "Goddamnit Yukari!"

In Yuka's story that was Reimu's default assumption anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well this was the definition of a filler chapter. Although it's pretty appropriate that Letty's gimmick is the same as Cirno's but just better.

Also,

BlitzBlast posted:

Now then, please have fun playing Chapter 27 of Fantasy Maiden Wars P: "Yesterday's Enemies, Today's Enemies"!
Shouldn't this be "Yesterday's Friends, Today's Enemies"? Unless i'm missing what exactly it's referencing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes! Marisa's route has Kurumi and the Three Fairies. Perfect. But bring Komachi anyway. Leaving 7.

Also, I second what you said. Youmu's boss theme rocks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh. So Marisa's route takes a sudden turn into SA. I can't imagine we'll be in the Underground long though, there's a plot they need to catch up to. I'm a bit sad I didn't get here quick enough to vote in Patchouli, because since this is SA it'd make sense for all of Marisa's partners to show up. Especially if they're planning a jail break. It was nice to see SA-style rear end in a top hat Nitori show up as well, she's way more fun like that.

Also, i'm a little disappointed that Lily joins in Reimu's route because then they can't recycle the Three Fairies opinion's of Lily from the manga, which were pretty amusing. Speaking of Lily I know we don't vote for who gets used in Lunatic, but I say you should bring her along every map anyway. For the challenge, and because she's the only fairy who even tries to do her job, so she should get a chance to do so. And although Reimu's path does seem to just be going through the motions of PCB, the conversations between the embodiments of the Seasons have been pretty good. It's weird that the Aki's, Letty and even Lily are getting stuff to do, even if it is appropriate for the story.

I'm pretty shocked to see another update up so soon though. I guess having triple the translators really speeds up the process. So Thanks for all the hard work everyone's been doing. I'm really enjoying the LP.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, I think this is why Letty was so dismissive of Cirno. Fairies are just aspects of nature, so the best they can do is bend it a little, while youkai have no such limits. Fairies are also totally immortal and don't really seem to understand what death is.

But the fact that we have gods of autumn, a youkai of winter, and a fairy of spring is just sort of a coincidence. There could very well be winter fairies and spring gods and autumn youkai, we just never meet them.

Also, outside of Lily most fairies don't even seem to care about being embodiment's of nature. They just goof off and prank people. I think it's even mentioned that Cirno's actually kind of bad for nature because she's way stronger than any fairy should be and her power over ice affects the natural world on a far higher level than it should.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So you say you're moving to a weekly schedule then you go ahead and pull out 3 chapters in 3 days? I don't know what to believe.

Turns out planning a prison break isn't too necessary with Koishi around though, the other guys barely had to do anything. But on the other hand, a free friendship boost sounds pretty drat nice. What's Alice and Marisa's friendship bonus at now, a flat 15% boost? Also, mysterious dream voice was surprisingly coherent this time and actually managed to hold a decent conversation. Still didn't really shed any ideas on who it could be, other than that they were legitimately concerned with the incident and in helping Gensokyo, which is actually surprisingly rare considering the personality of most of Gensokyo's inhabitants.

Oh yeah, and Mima showed up. No big deal. I like the title of her theme, the music itself is alright as well but it has a cool title. More seriously, I wonder how she's going to fit into the rest of the Windows games, she's a pretty important character from the early days to just drop in. So I imagine Sanbondo has some big plans for her, hopefully a little more than just facilitating Marisa's character development. Although, i'm guessing she's done for this game since the route split seems to be ending after only two chapters and all that's left is PCB. Which is apparently adapted relatively straightforwardly.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 30, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shinki deserves to be brought back before Mima. Mima doesn't have sweet Devil Wings, and also isn't Satan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think this might be spoilers isn't it? Because that's not how SA goes down in the regular games.

I can totally understand UFO being more interesting than PCB, though. Because it is really the only game where just about every character involved actually has a big connection to the incident of the game. Only Kogasa is really left out. Basically all of PCB's "story" is done in stages 5-6, which is kind of the way it usually goes in the games. Also going back to UFO, what they're doing with Shou seems pretty strange to me because I don't remember anything that suggests she had a hand in or feels responsible for Byakuren getting captured. It seems a little out of left field.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

The writers here are focusing on the implied guilt that Shou had for never trying to help Byakuren. Remember, Shou waited like a thousand years doing nothing, but UFO still didn't happen until Murasa and the others were released. It's no stretch to imagine that she feels bad for playing human/avatar while all her friends get attacked by an angry mob.

Edit: Of course, this is all just a giant lead-in up to her inevitable pre-spellcard speech for "Absolute Justice".

Yeah, I get the guilt but this whole "justice" thing is pretty weird with it's only basis being a spellcard name. I guess the thing that confuses me most is that she's portrayed as being in a position of power where she could have stopped Byakuren's imprisonment rather than being at a similar level to everyone else but not being an angry Youkai, so she doesn't get sent to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

It's played up a bit for drama, but it's a perfectly valid depiction.

Huh, guess my lore knowledge isn't as good as I thought. That's a pretty logical development for her.

I still say the justice thing is weird though. But if they go all in for it I hope they use Sanae B's response to Byakuren's speech about how humans are the real evil, which is basically "What? That's stupid. Youkai are obviously oppressing humans. I'm going to beat you up."

• Locked thread