Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The last few games of Kerber/Sharapova were amazing.

e: Lisicki won't get the chance to beat to French Open winner this time round.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Super match. Disappointed we've lost Maria this early though. Her unquenchable thirst for winners is always great fun to watch.

Kerber played a great match.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

So I guess Sharapova has to be the prohibitive favourite now. She's dropped all of 7 games through her first three matches.

haha welp. I don't even know why I bother trying to make predictions about the WTA.

Milos up 2 sets to 1 on Nishikori. 28 aces and 50 winners so far :stare:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I'm not the biggest Serena fan, but whatever's going on with her right now doesn't look good. :( During the warmup for her doubles match, she seemed dizzy, couldn't catch balls from the ball boys, and couldn't hit the ball over the net. They're checking her out at courtside right now, but that almost seems like something neurological, doesn't it?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Serena looks like she can barely stand. She should be forced to quit. No one want to see this.

E: Oh, there we go. She shouldn't have played at all.

Rafa loses the first set again.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2014

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
http://clips.wimbledon.com/g/v/zJmNNG7kEG5

I hope she's ok.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:psyduck: Why was this allowed to continue? Even for just the game.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So, Kyrgios is for real, huh

http://clips.wimbledon.com/g/v/k5mnfPTSaQt :aaa:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

colonel_korn posted:

:psyduck: Why was this allowed to continue? Even for just the game.

And that was the third game of the set. I don't understand how the match started after seeing what she looked like in warmups.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I like in that Serena clip that, I'm guessing, someone in the crowd told the umpire to be responsible during one of Serena's serves. That clip looks real bad and I hope it's nothing serious. When I first read what people were saying, it sounded like she was on drugs or something. I mean she's probably on steroids like all tennis players but not drugs that would make you act like that.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Official Wimbledon twitter account said it was a viral thing FWIW.

Kyrgios just won another tiebreaker to go up 2-1 on Rafa :stare:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I thought for sure Kyrgios would go away after losing the second set. Cool match, this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kyrgios just broke Rafa in the 4th, already up 2 sets to 1.

He's going to win this :stare:

That means Fed has a free run through to the final, and will probably beat the survivor of the Djoker/Murray semi.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I live not too far from Wimbledon and I'm going to kick gently caress out of those twats in the crowd.

HTH.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Holy poo poo Nadal is gone. I didn't think Kyrgios had a good enough backhand to stand up to Rafa. Apparently his serve was good enough to just poo poo all over Nadal though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Annnd boom goes the dynamite.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Josh Lyman posted:

Kyrgios just broke Rafa in the 4th, already up 2 sets to 1.

He's going to win this :stare:

That means Fed has a free run through to the final, and will probably beat the survivor of the Djoker/Murray semi.

He did win this :stare:

And it's not like Nadal played poorly or anything

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dayum.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nadal lost to a wild card, to a guy that was multiple times a point away from losing to Gasquet. gently caress yeah.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Kyrgios had already had a great Wimbledon before today's match, so its kinda cool to see what could be the birth of the next big star on the men's side. Even though it means Nadal loses so early in the tournament.

The Big 4 have ruled the Slams for so many years at this point, I am looking forward to the new guard when/as they emerge.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Things seem to be really lining up nicely for the Canadians -- Eugenie manages to avoid both Serena and Sharapova, and now Milos avoids Nadal as well. Second straight major that both of them are into the final 8, I wouldn't have seen that coming.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

I'm hoping Dimitrov wins tomorrow to match up to this win but he probably won't. Now I can hope that Federer will win the title since he won't have to go through Nadal.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

fgmnkjaenglkjeaunvglkjenvg0;fv/klsdrnivknlsvknlsrdevknlknlfvknlk/nlknv'o'o

e: lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The women's draw is a complete mess. The best we can hope for is Bouchard/Lisicki in the top half, Safarova/Kvitova in the bottom half.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
I don't want to get my hopes up too much but it would be cool if Federer could pull this one off now with Nadal out.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Just saw those clips from the Serena/Venus double. I hope Serena's alright.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack's Flow posted:

Just saw those clips from the Serena/Venus double. I hope Serena's alright.
I've never seen someone roofied in real life, but that's what I imagine it would be like.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ssbbud posted:

I don't want to get my hopes up too much but it would be cool if Federer could pull this one off now with Nadal out.
Fed will have no trouble against Stan on grass. Raonic beat Kyrgios in straights in the 1st round at the French Open last month, and while Nick is playing better, I expect Raonic to advance in 4 sets, only to fall himself in 4 sets to Fed.

Murray and Djoker will be tired from what I expect will be a 5 set, 4 hour+ epic. Congratulations Fed on your 18th major.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 1, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
gently caress Nadal, that's fantastic! Please don't mess this up, Federer.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Kyrgios' sick tweener is worth watching if you missed it.

http://clips.wimbledon.com/g/v/k5mnfPTSaQt

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm worried for some of you guys that your now very high hopes will be dashed brutally. :\ Federer has looked great in the early rounds of many slams in the past couple of years only to lose in the QF or semis. I know it's grass, but I wouldn't bet on him beating Stan let alone Murray or Djokovic no matter how long their semi-final will be.

Really happy that Kvitova is through. I'll be very conflicted if she plays Lisicki or Halep in the final. Actually it's pretty much "anyone but Kerber" for me now on the women's side, so it's looking good.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just want Kerber or Lisicki to finally win this thing. Or any Grand Slam, really.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Kyrgios is going to win the whole drat thing. gently caress Federer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Someone new getting on the doping train and winning would be cool and interesting. Anyone but Djokovic

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm worried for some of you guys that your now very high hopes will be dashed brutally. :\
Oh, most definitely but let us dream.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm worried for some of you guys that your now very high hopes will be dashed brutally. :\ Federer has looked great in the early rounds of many slams in the past couple of years only to lose in the QF or semis.

Yeah, this is my fear. Logic is behind Fed at least getting to the final if not outright winning it, but we've been down this road before for the last couple years. I had come to terms with Federer not winning another slam but he's looked so great so far in this tournament and without Nadal to deny him I can't help but get excited.

On the women's side, the Sharapova/Kerber match was fantastic. That bracket is so unpredictable.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Oh man, take a look at the order of play tomorrow:

:getin:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

ChaosReaper posted:

Holy poo poo Nadal is gone. I didn't think Kyrgios had a good enough backhand to stand up to Rafa. Apparently his serve was good enough to just poo poo all over Nadal though.
Yeah he more or less powered through Nadal. Only broke him once for the entire match, but his serve was remarkable - 37 aces and something like 93% of his first serves went in

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Shmoses posted:

Yeah he more or less powered through Nadal. Only broke him once for the entire match, but his serve was remarkable - 37 aces and something like 93% of his first serves went in

That's 93% of first serves in the 4th set. Still impressive, but 93% for the whole match would be insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would love to see Lisicki win the title. Bouchard and Halep are still young and can play on other surfaces, but Sabine is useless off grass.

• Locked thread